w6/sn-047

OK, tomorrow is the day, during the Flight of the Bumblebees, 1700 - 2100Z. I checked out the antenna, all is good, weather is great if a little hot, hope to get some SOTA contacts … I’ll QSL with the peak.

Fred K6DGW

25 Jul 2010 - AAR [After Action Report]: Well, it went very well despite two t-storms that took about an hour and a half out of the 4-hours I’d planned. Worked a total of 24 stations on 20m CW, nothing heard on 40m [not surprising out here on the North American Frontier, I was on from 1700Z to 2100Z for the Flight of the Bumblebees which is the middle of the day for us]. I got 4 requests for summit ID.

K2 @ 5W, Buddipole in vertical ground plane config, 12 aH SLA solar charged [still going strong when I finished]. W6/SN-047 is a new summit in the Assoc, there is a fire lookout on the exact summit, I was about 5m away horizontal and down about 2m. In the spirit of SOTA [and FOBB], and in consideration of my limited mobility, I drove to the mountain [an hour from home], parked at the lookout, and schlepped my gear over to my operation location. 3 visitors [all USFS employees, it’s National Forest land]. I’ll post a couple of photos if I can figure out how.

Fred K6DGW