W1 sota campout

W1 SOTA Campout 2018_
July 26th Thursday to July 30th Monday , 2018
This is an opportunity for those who participate in or have interest in the “Summits on the Air” SOTA program to meet each other, have conversation, learn and activate SOTA summits in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. Join in for the entire four night campout or for as many nights as you can or just stop by for a while! More details will be worked out as the date gets closer.
Please email me at: AC1Z@tds.net to let me know if you are interested.
Bob AC1Z Alton, NH
This is a rustic campground that has both tent and small RV sites. Some sites can be reserved and others are a walk-in first come first serve basis.
Information: (603)536-6100 White Mountain National Forest U.S. Forest Service
Reservations: This site can be reserved by calling Toll Free 1-877-444-6777 (International 518-885-3639 or TDD 877-833-6777) or on-line at Recreation.gov

Fees $18 fee includes site and 1 vehicle. A $5.00 additional fee charged for a 2nd vehicle
Open Season: mid-May - mid-October
Closest Towns: Twin Mountain, NH
Water: Handpump
Restroom: Vault Toilet
Operated By: Pro-Sport, Inc

See Web sites below for more info and reservations on campground:
www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/whitemountain/recreation/camping-cabins/recarea/?recid=74733&actid=29

GPS Coordinates: 44.25806, -71.50444 or 44°15’29"N, 71°30’16"W
Note: There are two other sites Sugarloaf 1 located within walking distance next to Sugarloaf 2 and Zealand a short distance down the road.
Some SOTA Summits near Sugarloaf 2 Campground
All suggested trails are designated and maintained except as noted. Other trails to summits are possible.
Listed in order of driving time from campground - source: Google maps:

• Mt. Hale – W1/HA-157-10 points – 8 minute Drive to Hale Brook Trailhead – Hale Brook Trail 2.2 miles to summit 4054ft. - Elevation Gain 2200ft -No view at summit but large open area where a tower was easy to set up antenna.
• Mt Field -W1-HA-018-10 points - 11 min drive to parking lot next to AMC Highland Center Trailhead across railroad tracks - Avalon trail 2.7 miles to summit 4340 ft. -Elevation Gain 2640 ft. – View at looked and small open area for antenna.
• Mt. Martha-W1/HA-020- 6 points – 12 minute drive to Cherry Mtn Trail 1.8mile hike to summit 3563 ft. – Elevation Gain 1800 ft. – Open area at summit with nice view of Mt. Washington.
• Mt Washington-W1/HA-001- 10 points – 17 minute drive to Ammonoosuc Ravine Trailhead - Ammonoosuc Ravine and Crawford Path Trails total 4.5 mile hike to summit 6288 ft. – Elevation Gain 3750 ft. – This is one of many trails to open rock summit. Can also take the Cog Railway or drive up for a fee.
• Mt. Garfield-W1/HA-095-10 points -17minute drive to Garfield trailhead 4.8 mile hike to summit 4500 ft. – Elevation Gain 3000 ft. – Great view at summit easy to set up.
• South twin-W1/HA-022- 10 Points – 21minute drive to Gale River Trailhead - Gale River and Garfield Ridge trails 5.6 miles to summit 4902 ft. – elevation Gain 3300 ft. – Great views stop at the AMC Galehead Hut for water break.
• Stairs Mtn-W1/HA-214- 6 points – 20 minute drive to parking lot at GPS 44.1185 -71.3546 Davis Path 4 miles and short off trail to summit 3463 ft. – Elevation Gain 2500 ft.
• Mt Nancy-W1/HA-061- 8 points – 21 minute drive to Nancy Pond Trailhead 44.1043 -71.3525 – Nancy Pond trail to Norcross Pond then take a rough non-maintained trail to summit 3926 ft.- elevation Gain 2900 ft. – Long day hike I camped overnight at Norcross Pond.
• Cannon Mt.-W1/HA-113- 10 points – 22 minute drive to trailhead or Tramway. Kinsman Ridge Trail 2.0miles to summit 4100 ft. – Elevation Gain 2100 ft. - Tramway takes you to restaurant and a short hike to summit. Lookout tower and lots of antennas make it a bit noisy on some bands.
See info and fees at: www.nhstateparks.org/visit/state-parks/aerial-tramway.aspx
• Mt. Lafayette -W1/HA-002 – 31 min. drive - 10 Points - Elevation: 5260ft Elevation Gain: about 3350ft. Great 360 views from open rocky summit. Trailhead at Lafayette Place parking lot: GPS 44.141649, -71.683309 about a 30 minute drive from campground. Hike on the Old Bridle Path for 3.1 miles to the AMC Greenleaf Hut then the Greenleaf Trail for 1.1 miles to summit. Hike back the same way roundtrip: 8.4 miles. You can hike back the same way or if you are in for a longer hike the Franconia Ridge Trail to the Lincoln and Little Haystack summits and descend back to parking lot and campground via the Falling Waters trail. Total 9 mile hike.

5 Likes

Count me in! Should be a nice escape from the dog days of our sticky southern summer.

73, pat - KI4SVM

I forgot I was already tentatively signed up to do a Presidential traverse that Saturday. So weather permitting, what I will probably do try to activate Adams, Jefferson, and Washington along the way. It will necessarily be quick - probably 30 minutes each - and I’ll have to limit myself to CW for people farther away, and an HT with rubber duck for anyone doing the campout. I can probably leave that on most of the day to work anyone who’s hiking at the same time.

After Washington, I will keep hiking as long as I’ve got time, but there’s nothing activatable south of there. And then I’ll just hook up with you guys later. I won’t be able to do any other hiking before or after something that big.

Liz and I are interested in pulling the RV up to the campout. As time gets a little closer, we will see how our schedule goes.

Ron, KI4TN
Liz, K1LIZ

I’d love to join but I have to work the weekend and its a 9 hour drive one way :frowning:

Hope you guys have some fun!

A note about Sugarloaf 2 Campground: As of the morning of 5-12-18, there are 7 standard sites left that can be reserved for 25 or 30 foot RVs OR TENTS and 1 site left for TENTS ONLY. About 12 sites are for “walk In” first come first serve basis which will probably be ok if you arrive Thursday or early Friday. Please let me know the site you are on if you stay overnight. If you have any questions please email me. 73 Bob AC1Z

I have reserved Campsite 26 for Thursday-Sunday. It will be just me and my hammock, so there will be plenty of space for a tent or two if someone wants to share the site.

73, pat - KI4SVM

W1 SOTA Campout 2018
July 26th Thursday thru July 30th Monday , 2018
Update July 5, 2018:

We have several interested in attending the W1 Campout with the following who made reservations to camp overnight at the Sugarloaf 2 campground.

Site # Call Name Date
22 AC1Z Bob 5-26 to 5-30
7 NS1TA Mike 5-26 to 5-30
8 KC1FD Rich 5-27 TO 5-28
23 N1ZF Paul 5-26 to 5-30
26 KI4SVM Pat 5-26 to 5-30

I understand that there are at least 3 sites still available for an RV or tent that are reservable and over 12 sites that are walk-in first come first serve sites.
Agenda includes:
SOTA Activating - Post your plans with others for Summit to Summits.
Thursday July 26th – Initial meeting, conversation, campfire, drinks and snacks at 7:30pm.
Friday July 27th - Food and Drink at 6:30pm. Bring your favorite SOTA pictures, videos, slides, etc. to share with others.
Saturday July 28th - Meet at Fabyan’s Restaurant for dinner at 6:30pm. Located 10 minutes from Sugarloaf 2.

If you plan to attend please email me at: AC1Z@tds.net to let me know if when you expect to be at the campground.
Bob AC1Z Alton, NH
This is a rustic campground that has both tent and small RV sites. Some sites can be reserved and others are a walk-in first come first serve basis. Cell Phone and Data service is limited in this area.
GPS Coordinates: Latitude : 44.25809102 Longitude: -71.50393683

Information: (603)536-6100 White Mountain National Forest U.S. Forest Service
Reservations: This site can be reserved by calling Toll Free 1-877-444-6777 (International 518-885-3639 or TDD 877-833-6777) or on-line at Recreation.gov

Fees $18 fee includes site and 1 vehicle. A $5.00 additional fee charged for a 2nd vehicle
Open Season: mid-May - mid-October
Closest Towns: Twin Mountain, NH
Water: Handpump
Restroom: Vault Toilet
Operated By: Pro-Sport, Inc

See Web sites below for more info and reservations on campground:
www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/whitemountain/recreation/camping-cabins/recarea/?recid=74733&actid=29

Note: There are two other campgrounds-Sugarloaf 1 located within walking distance next to Sugarloaf 2 and Zealand a short distance down the road. Also, for large rigs or if looking for hookups the Ammonoosuc Campground http://www.ammonoosuccampground.com/ ;Beech Hill Campground http://beechhillcampground.com/ or the Twin Mountain KOA Twin Mountain, New Hampshire Campground | Twin Mountain / Mt. Washington KOA Holiday all have full hookup sites and are located within 15 minutes of the Sugarloaf Campground.

Some SOTA Summits near Sugarloaf 2 Campground
All suggested trails are designated and maintained except as noted. Other trails to summits are possible.
Listed in order of driving time from campground - source: Google maps:

• Mt. Hale – W1/HA-157-10 points – 8 minute Drive to Hale Brook Trailhead – Hale Brook Trail 2.2 miles to summit 4054ft. - Elevation Gain 2200ft -No view at summit but large open area where a tower was easy to set up antenna.
• Mt Field -W1-HA-018-10 points - 11 min drive to parking lot next to AMC Highland Center Trailhead across railroad tracks - Avalon trail 2.7 miles to summit 4340 ft. -Elevation Gain 2640 ft. – View at lookout and small open area for antenna.
• Mt. Martha-W1/HA-020- 6 points – 12 minute drive to Cherry Mtn Trail 1.8mile hike to summit 3563 ft. – Elevation Gain 1800 ft. – Open area at summit with nice view of Mt. Washington.
• Mt Washington-W1/HA-001- 10 points – 17 minute drive to Ammonoosuc Ravine Trailhead - Ammonoosuc Ravine and Crawford Path Trails total 4.5 mile hike to summit 6288 ft. – Elevation Gain 3750 ft. – This is one of many trails to open rock summit. Can also take the Cog Railway or drive up for a fee.
• Mt. Garfield-W1/HA-095-10 points -17minute drive to Garfield trailhead 4.8 mile hike to summit 4500 ft. – Elevation Gain 3000 ft. – Great view at summit easy to set up.
• South twin-W1/HA-022- 10 Points – 21minute drive to Gale River Trailhead - Gale River and Garfield Ridge trails 5.6 miles to summit 4902 ft. – elevation Gain 3300 ft. – Great views stop at the AMC Galehead Hut for water break.
• Stairs Mtn-W1/HA-214- 6 points – 20 minute drive to parking lot at GPS 44.1185 -71.3546 Davis Path 4 miles and short off trail to summit 3463 ft. – Elevation Gain 2500 ft.
• Mt Nancy-W1/HA-061- 8 points – 21 minute drive to Nancy Pond Trailhead 44.1043 -71.3525 – Nancy Pond trail to Norcross Pond then take a rough non-maintained trail to summit 3926 ft.- elevation Gain 2900 ft. – Long day hike I camped overnight at Norcross Pond.
• Cannon Mt.-W1/HA-113- 10 points – 22 minute drive to trailhead or Tramway. Kinsman Ridge Trail 2.0miles to summit 4100 ft. – Elevation Gain 2100 ft. - Tramway takes you to restaurant and a short hike to summit. Lookout tower and lots of antennas make it a bit noisy on some bands.
See info and fees at: www.nhstateparks.org/visit/state-parks/aerial-tramway.aspx
• Mt. Lafayette -W1/HA-002 – 31 min. drive - 10 Points - Elevation: 5260ft Elevation Gain: about 3350ft. Great 360 views from open rocky summit. Trailhead at Lafayette Place parking lot: GPS 44.141649, -71.683309 about a 30 minute drive from campground. Hike on the Old Bridle Path for 3.1 miles to the AMC Greenleaf Hut then the Greenleaf Trail for 1.1 miles to summit. Hike back the same way roundtrip: 8.4 miles. You can hike back the same way or if you are in for a longer hike the Franconia Ridge Trail to the Lincoln and Little Haystack summits and descend back to parking lot and campground via the Falling Waters trail. Total 9 mile hike.

Bob,
For your numbers, in case you need headcount for Fabyan’s, Merle and I will attend.
Will not be camping but hope to pop in each evening.
Herm
KB1RJC
Merle
KB1RJD

Hi Ron and Liz,
Hope you can make it to NH! The Sugarloaf 2 is a very basic campground in the White Mountains. If you prefer a campground with hookups the Ammonoosuc Campground http://www.ammonoosuccampground.com/ ;Beech Hill Campground http://beechhillcampground.com/ or the Twin Mountain KOA Twin Mountain, New Hampshire Campground | Twin Mountain / Mt. Washington KOA Holiday all have full hookup sites and are located within 10 to 15 minutes of the Sugarloaf Campground. You could do SOTA activations and join the Campout gatherings!
Bob AC1Z

Glad you can make it ! See you then. Bob

I have been practicing my interstate driving recently in preparation for this road trip! :grinning: I am planning on making a run across the border to collect VE2 as well, but may do that before or after the official campout. Looking forward to a change of scenery (and some uniques and completes)!

73, pat - KI4SVM

Hi Pat,if you need any advice on VE2 summits or suggestions you can email me at va2mo.eric@gmail.com
I will be on my annual vacation starting july 27 maybe we could meet for an activation ?
Unfortunately i will not be able to go at the W1 campout.

Eric
Va2mo.

1 Like

Hi Eric, definitely would like to get in a joint activation if we can arrange it. Working on roughing out my travel/activation plans right now and will shoot you an email soon.

73, pat

Plan on being at the diner on Sat night. Bob, thanks for organizing this.
Doug de W1DMH

Im heading up on Thursday coming from Farmington, ME. Weather calls for scattered T-storms on Thursday. Safe travels. Looking forward to the meet and greet.
73 Mike

To NS1TA OK Mike, Yes, weather is mixed rain then sun and maybe t-storms for Thursday but less likely on Friday. Sat and Sunday look less humid and without rain! I’ll be at the campground tomorrow before 2pm and plan to hike Mt. Martha on Friday and Mt Field on Saturday. Stop in to site 22. I am looking forward to it!

The weather hasn’t really decided what it wants to do on Saturday, so I’ve come up with two plans:

(1) If it looks reasonable, do the northern Presidentials - Adams (W1/HA-093), Jefferson (W1/HA-120), and Washington (W1/HA-001) at a leisurely pace starting before dawn. I’ll do HF and have an HT for the locals. It’s a long day, though, so these would be somewhat short activations. I’ll probably leave the key at home, for instance.

(2) If it looks less reasonable but not dumping rain, do some stuff in the Kilkenny - Terrace (W1/HA-164) and Weeks (W1/HA-159). Again with the HF and HT. This would be a much easier day, so I’d probably bring the key as well.

The only way I plan on missing out on the dinner at Fabyans is if the weather’s just going to be garbage all day and I won’t even get out to hike.

Any thoughts on arranging S2S contacts? I probably don’t have enough HT battery to leave it on all day, certainly not if I’m doing the Presidentials.

I don’t know how well this works, but the activators in the PNW often designate S2S listening on the hour or half hours during their summit ‘parties’. Seems reasonable enough that everyone will be on a summit during those times.

Looking forward to seeing and meeting everyone. Need to make a trip to the grocery store and will head up to the campground later this afternoon.

73, pat - KI4SVM

I’d sure appreciate Activators trying 60m if possible, CW or SSB. The distance seems short for 40m but who can tell with the current unpredictable band conditions.

TU de Bruce W2SE