VK ZL JA - EU UK S2S 6 April 2019

Dear All,
I will join this party and post on alert once I decide which summit (BV) I am going to activate.
My equipment will be: 20 meters band EFHW, 160W Tx. And I can do CW, SSB and FT8 mode.

Best regards,
Huawei
73 de BX2AI

2 Likes

Hello,
Iā€™m just curious.
How will you manage to get 160 watts output from a SOTA summit?
For how long do you expect such capability?

Guru

Dear Guru,

The transceiver I use is Kenwood TS-480Hx which can transmit 200W. The power source is a LiFePo4 20Ah battery. And my EFHW single band antenna could handle 200W power.
However, I havenā€™t tried how long I can operate with this 20Ah battery, so I plan to bring another 20Ah spare battery for this party. I might reduce my power with second battery if the first one drains out too quickly.

Cheers,
Huawei

Sounds like a very heavy pack weight! Is it only a short walk from the car park?

Yes pretty heavy, my backpack is around 14Kg excluding the telescopic 10m pole. I have done twice activation. One is a 50 mins walk, the other is a 30 mins walk.

Now that Mike @2E0YYY is taking a break on his heavy load SOTA activations due to his back problems after a recent slip and fall (best wishes for your prompt recovery, Mike), it seems like Huawei is taking it over from Mike.
Well done!

Guru

Thanks, I guess I could learn a lot from Mike :slightly_smiling_face:
BTW, I do have the alternative: I have a ICOM 703 in my hand although itā€™s said for SOTA purpose Yaesu rig might be better. And I manage to make a home-brew 10AH (or smaller) LiFePo battery pack for a lighter SOTA rig set.
I am open for that, there are still lots things need to learn and gain more experiences.

Wish we have a good propagation.
Cheers,
Huawei

Hallo Huawei

The IC 703 also works great with Sota. It may be a bit more sensitive than a ft 817 and you need an extra battery, but it has a good antenna tuner. You have to pack it well. There was even an own Icom backpack for it.
I did the first Sota activities with this device. I like the display and how to handle it. But itā€™s heavy and so I have a KX2 now.
I would apresiade, if you make a thread about your adventur with your high-power-sota-equipment afterwards.

73 Armin

Will find a summit and have a go at this. 45W CW and a 9 metre squid pole vertical should do well for DX.

Cheers, Wal VK2WP

1 Like

Hi Wal,
Iā€™ve found 20m to be fairly useless lately, 30 and 40m are much better. Iā€™ll probably equip for those 3 bands for this event.
73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™m going to be able to participate in this one atm. Iā€™m hoping to find a way though, and if I do, Iā€™ll most likely go for 30m.

So - the dice have fallen - The vacation request was approved by my wife. There is a sota day.
I am at 6:00 am on DM / BW-019 to take part in the s2s party.
And since Iā€™m already in the area, Iā€™ll try to activate afterwards -029, -047 and -054.
Now I have to bring sacrifice to the weather godsā€¦

73 Armin

Hallo Armin - 0600 UTC (0700 CET) is too early for long path into VK/ZL. 0700-0800 UTC (0800-0900 CET) is more often when contacts are being made.

73 Ed.

Iā€™ve just received notification of one gig being rescheduled - and that means Iā€™m now completely clear to take part in this event! Therefore Iā€™m now thinking of taking both 30m and 20m - 30m for the first two hours or so, swapping over to 20m sometime around 0800z. Should be fun!

Itā€™ll be interesting to see if you get any VK/ZL/JA DX on 20m. Lately 20m hasnā€™t delivered (at least not on SSB). Iā€™d recommend you pack 40m as well if possible.

73 Ed.

Iā€™ve been having decent results on 30m with my new GP.

Hello Tom,

Iā€™m glad to hear you will join the event.
I will prepare another element for 30m band.
Hope to see you on the air.

Aki JI3BAP

1 Like

After working Mike and Jorge on 40m from Mt Ainslie VK1/AC-040, my focus will be on 40m operating from Mt Ginini at 1700 m ASL 8 points.

I will have wire in the air for 17m, 20m, 30m, 40m and 80m SSB. In VK we have a narrow 30m SSB segment, I understand UK/EU doesnā€™t.

Andrew VK1AD

Actually IARU region 1 & 2 donā€™t allow SSB on 30m. The reason given is that itā€™s such a narrow band that there would be no room for SSB signals. Of course SSB is allowed on 60m and thatā€™s even smaller so the reason doesnā€™t hold water but historically 30m in Europe and the Americas has always been a CW band only, with digital data now allowed. In principal I suppose as long as the actual mode category definitions are not listed FreeDV being a narrow bandwidth phone mode, coul;d op[erate on 30m - but Iā€™d have to check each countries specific definitions of their regulations for the 10MHz band.

73 Ed.

You need to review the discussions of WARC-79 and the previous band incumbents to understand the reasoning.