VK/ZL <> Europe SOTA S2S Party - 22 Oct 16 0630 - 0830 UTC

WHAT???

NO Spanish or Polish stations taking part ? There are none alerted at least.

Running total - 54 summits across Australia (VKs 1,2,3,6,7,8), New Zealand, Japan, England, Scotland, Wales, Germany (alpine & Central), France, Finland, Bulgaria, Portugal, Ireland, Austria, Belgium, Greece and Switzerland alerted.

I think we may have an issue with frequency slot availability!!

Can I ask the home based chasers to please let the S2S calls through first or mention to the station you are calling, that there is also another summit calling if you hear one - thanks.

Ed.

And Bulgaria. Really looking forward to trying for the DX (a first for me), then the European S2S and even some domestic completes on offer.
Thanks Andrew and Mike for organising the opportunity. Weather still looking good for tomorrow

Wow 50 planned activations!

Mike, what have we done!? :wink:

Amazing what a small amount of cooperation can achieve. :slight_smile:

Good luck everyone, please remember to listen for weak S2S voice and CW calls. It will help if you the activator seeks specific call regions while asking local chasers to be patient.

I trust band conditions and local Wx are in your favour.

I look forward to working you all, well at least the SSB group. :slight_smile:

73 Andrew VK1AD

Sorry - corrected - Bulgaria (LZ) not Romania (YO) (perhaps we’ll see some YO summits being added along with the EAs?).

Ed.

Hi Andy,
I suspect we might complete a lot of Inter-europe S2S contacts before and after the long path window opens to VK/ZL and hopefully JA. It promises to be rather hectic.

73 Ed.

1 Like

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the S2S contact onto GW/NW-070 Great Orme yesterday.

As expected, the band opened much earlier into Europe than the UK. I could hear the Europeans working you, but you were barely audible my side, until about 0630z when you called S2S.

Oddly enough, John ZL1BYT, just beat you in! Three VK’s worked, Ernie VK3DET, Matt VK1MA and our s2s. Three JA’s were also logged, the best of them had to be JA9YYY, Hokuriku Club Station.

Nothing heard from Western Australia or Tasmania.

After I’d done some work,I returned to the summit in the afternoon and got amongst the North Americans, mainly on 15m.

In the end, I got a bit carried away and finshed up with 175 contacts in the log.

The good news… The 20m band was in better shape than I anticipated. Its been a while since I’ve worked JA from a summit, so there may well be some nice surprises thrown up at the SOTA party.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

1 Like

Hi Mike

We now have Greg VK8GM in the group. Greg will be very popular on Mt Gillen VK8/AL-100 in the heart of Australia’s outback, Alice Springs.

73 Andrew VK1AD

50+ alerts, little wind, hardly any chance of rain, mild temperatures, and DX propagation certainly possible. This all looks rather promising!

1 Like

Snow now forecast down to 800/900m for vk3 for tomorrow, so we might be clear of rain as well :wink:

Hi Andrew,

That is great news.

Trust me, VK8 is an extremely tough State for the Europeans to find on a SOTA activation.

As for VK8 S2S contacts, absolute hens teeth.

73 Mike

Hi Andrew,

I’ve just received a message to say there may be another GM station out.

73 Mike

Thanks to Pedro (CT1DBS) for letting me know this was on. Will aim to be QRV from G/SE-001 Walbury Hill tomorrow morning. QRP CW here as I’m sure may other Ops will be…hopefully work a few of you tomorrow.

Michael (G0POT)

Andrew 29C for Perth tomorrow, spring has finally sprung, hopefully.

John VK6NU

“29C for Perth tomorrow”

Zero degrees for Tiirismaa tomorrow - almost the same! ;-D

73, Saku OH2NOS

i will be qrv from a local summit. [quote=“VK6NU, post:93, topic:13999”]
29C for Perth tomorrow
[/quote]

here is the weather forcast for OE/OO-084 … just a little above freezing, will carry all my winter-clothes with me:

You’re right.

Ct7AGR called my attention for the fact that in the last days we had listen to VK and ZL station on the 40m.

40 and 30 m seems a sensible choice, along with 20 m.

Me and CT7AGR will be working from CT/ES-007 with end fed (DBS) and buddstick (AGR), both using KX-3.

Hpe cu on the air.

73 de Pedro, CT1DBS

Similar report for Hohen Peißenberg - Winter Woolies definitely needed!

P.S.
K index is currently down to ZERO! Haven’t seen that in a long time! It’s a shame SFI isn’t higher.

Don’t forget 7 MHz and 10 MHz (CW)!!!

On 17th September whilst operating with 30 watts and a dipole from OK/KR-073 Zlata Vyhlidka I was called and easily worked at 0546z ZL1BYZ on 40m CW. Admittedley not S2S and not QRP, but a QSO worthy of mention in light of this weekends VK/ZL > EU QSO Party.

Speaking at present as a chaser this will be an event worth getting up for…

73 Phil G4OBK

1 Like

… weather report for tomorrow on DM/BW-089: approx. 0°C but no rain!

Due to the SFI being only 75 units I’ll give 40m and 30m a go as well.

Looking forward to working some of you!
73, Roman - DL3TU

many ja stations will qrv today, I’m also heading ja/yn-063 and 067 now. see u later.

1 Like