VK/ZL <> Europe SOTA S2S Party - 22 Oct 16 0630 - 0830 UTC

This looks potentially spectacular with 29 activators all set to be QRV from 0630z on 20m (and other bands). Unfortunately, circumstances mean I can’t take a longer drive out now on this date, so it will be “ye olde faithfulle” G/SP-015 for me. I’ll just be on 20m, but will try to make use of 3 modes - CW, SSB and PSK31.

OK, we need some FB conditions and some kind weather now please.

:thumbsup:

Thinking pessimistically though, as a last resort there’s a good selection of European S2S opportunities and even some Irish summits later on (though I will struggle to make them on 2m FM). I will probably try 40m at some point and may also monitor 2m SSB.

Good luck all! I’m looking forward to it.

I was surprised after the solar disturbances on Friday that the bands seemed “so so” this morning. No problems working single hop QSOs on 10/14MHz this morning and 4 or 5 East coast US stations on 14MHz this afternoon. Though my head gets very confused by Central European Daylight being 2 hrs ahead of GMT. There was me thinking it was mid afternoon (1530 CEST) when it was just gone lunchtime really.

Ed, it was my pleasure. What a crazy day. Please check my video from the QSO with John, ZL1BYZ:

My gear

4 Likes

Marko, I know a few more of the VK operators who have expressed interest, here or on SOTA_Australia, haven’t alerted yet are cw ops.

In April 2015, I think I spent an hour dealing with a pileup on a single frequency on cw which given 5w seemed a reasonable choice. Given I’ll be QRO this time, the sheer number of planned SSB activators and my extreme rustiness with CW, I’m tempted to give SSB a go first and then try some slowish CW (~15wpm). The associations where there are only cw operators have forced my hand/fist on this :smiley:

A good question was raised on SOTA_Australia about operating methods. Trying to establish a run or search and pounce. It is going to be chaotic with a limited window in time and so many stations. Last time I did this SOTA Goat wouldn’t stop bleating :laughing:

Looks like the weather in vk3 will be favourable. Not perfect but nowhere near as bad as April 2015.

I hope we manage to work again.

Andrew VK3JBL

Good point. I was planning to specify in my CQ calls from time to time that I was only wanting DX or QRP. Happy to work all chasers/activators time and conditions permitting but really want to try for my first SOTA contact(s) outside Europe.

It all depends on whether you’ve got a connection to SOTAwatch or not. If you have, well pick a frequency and call (directed or not) on there while looking for spots. If you sees spot swap to the other vfo and work the station the return to your QRG. It’s how I think I’ll be working. (Assuming I can see what’s happening as dawn is 0800BST!)

Having fruhestuck and about to travel to SP land.
DL/M0FMF

I have put my hand up for Bonfire Hill yet again. Will take my squid pole vertical which works well for DX and a 45W P.A with the KX3.

Will camp on the summit if condx and wx are good. Mostly CW although other modes as well as needed.

Probably will have a go with PSK31 if I can nut out how to drive the KX3.

I’ll activate F/NO-133 next Saturday, accompanied by Wil, ON6EO , doing his first SOTA trip !
Will probably use the IC-7300 at abt 50W and a dipole or vertical (yet to decide, maybe I’ll set up both to compare results). Have the KX3 at 15W as a backup.
Can do all bands from 40m-6m, ssb and cw, but will concentrate on 20m ssb & cw first.
Will also give priority to VK/ZL and S2S calls.
Will self-spot, but I have no access to the spots on Sotawatch, so please find me on my frequency, or tell me on air where the others are …
Have fun and hope to work many of you !
73 de Luc F/ON7DQ/P & Wil F/ON6EO/P

I hope to also operate but not sure which summit yet as I’ve hurt my back and it may have to be a drive up summit.

I was a Mt.Dale a couple of weeks ago so maybe it will be Mt.William VK6/SW-042.

Anyway pencil me in at this stage .

John VK6NU

Great to see you possibly joining from West Australia John! I guess the path will be about 30 minutes later for you compared to the East Coast? What have you found previously?

In any case, my early rise on Saturday morning will have been worth it if we manage an S2S!

73 Ed.

If I haven’t miscounted - now up to 35 summits alerted for this S2S event - let’s hope for good radio and climatic weather!

73 Ed.

I hope so Ed, it was cold, misty and propagation was rubbish this morning on Papstein DM/SX-045.

Hi Ed

No idea what propagation will be like I’ll just go with the flow and hope for the best.i will try my 20 meter half square for this activation, i’ve only used it once before when I used VI6ANZAC. Its due another run, it requires 2 supports but not a problem from Mt.William.I’ll also try some other bands for VK but focused on EU for sure with the 857 and about 40 watts.

Its been a while since we worked so would be nice to get you in the log again.

John VK6NU

OH is ready for SOTA Party. This time I will be in Tiirismaa OH/JS-037 where temperature estimation (today) for Saturday morning is zero degrees but it should not rain! :grinning:

No worries, it is time for winter overalls and glove.

73, Saku OH2NOS

1 Like

I’ll be trying out a new vertical antenna for 20m tomorrow morning - I “might” just get there in time for Long path to VK chasers. Weather is VERY variable here. Started off really grey and threatening rain this morning, now the sun is shining (but it isn’t warm).

We’ll have to take whatever weather Saturday brings. GREAT that so many are taking part. If the radio cdx EU-VK don’t work out, at least we can bag a few EU S2S contacts!

73 Ed.

1 Like

Nice initiative, Andrew. I will try to activate VK4/SE-095 Spring Mountain South Peak with my KX1. Hope to work you and others as this will be the summit’s first activation!

Well early indications oop ere in t’ north are fine and dry until lunchtime :sunglasses:(Well the sunglasses might be a bit optimistic) and light winds. All we need now is propagation. Hope to work some of you from G-TW/002.

Too good to miss!

Will be QRP from G/SE-009 at 0630 with a 1/4 wave vertical for 20 that worked so well last time out – and will bring the 2m beam as well and see what I can do on 2m ssb/fm. May even attempt some QRS CW!

Graeme G0WCZ

Will be active from zl1/wk-031 Ranginui. Picked up the key to the gate today so all go. Will run 100 W into a dipole. Looks like I will be busy :slight_smile: Also activating zl1/wk-039 Rangitoto earlier in the day. de ZL2AJ