Visiting UK this summer

Unfortunately if you have a current UK callsign you are only permitted to use that in the UK, if you go over to Ireland that’s a different matter and you could use either or both callsigns.

And as Karl says VHF can be very iffy in Cornwall.

Peter
G1FOA

1 Like

Is this another of the “new” changes in the guidance document Peter? @g1foa

I’m not sure about that Andy I think it’s a CEPT requirement but I can’t find any reference to it but I remember a post from Ed DD5LP about it.

It was also in a post from a USA callsign holder last year saying that he had now passed his full UK licence exam and had a M callsign and was disappointed that he was not able to his US call.

But I sure we can rely on Ed to pop up and put was all right! (said with tongue in cheek)

Peter G1FOA

Hi Peter, Hi Andy, Hi Bernard.

That is correct if you have a callsign in the country you are visiting, you may no longer use the call sign from another country under the CEPT arrangement.

I’d love to go out portable here as DL/VK2JI/P or DL/G8GLM/P but once I got my German call back a couple of months after moving back to Germany, I had to switch to DD5LP/P.
When I operate in Austria or Switzerland I have the choice or all three call signs, prefixed with the appropraite country letters and slash.
Enjoy your time in “Ol Blighty” I’m sure you’ll rack up lots of contacts. Let me echo what others have said - Some summits will be fine on 2m FM as long as you replace the rubber duck with something better, others wont. HF is your safer bet. An FT-817 or KX2/3 and a linked dipole and 6m mast and you’re set!

Shame you’re only going to be over in July - 21-23 June is Ham Radio in Friedrichshafen - which if you haven’t been to before is quite impressive and very professionally done.

73 Ed

1 Like

Thanks Ed I thought you’d have the definitive answer.

Peter
G1FOA

Thanks Ed and all who have replied. I didn’t know that about having to use my UK callsign but I guess it does make sense. Also, as VK does not yet have access to 60m, I’d have to use my G call for that band anyway. And the SOTA database will still work out that it was me, and accredit my activator and S2S points regardless of what call I use.

Seems the FT-817 is the way to go. That and a link dipole for HF plus something with a little bit more gain than the standard rubber ducky for 2m/70cm ought to fit in my luggage without pushing me over the weight limit.

Flights are booked, itinerary planning is in hand, I’m on my way :slight_smile:

Bernard VK2IB, G4LGK

1 Like

Hi Bernard,
The laws/rules in the visiting country applies - that means that if for example you were travelling to Germany you could use DL/VK2IB and use to 60 metre band (Germany is one of the many countries now in Europe with the WRC15 5351.5 kHz - 5366.5 kHz band). In the UK you have 60m “vbandlets” (wide channels). Having an antenna for 60m could be a good choice at this point of the Solar Cycle. As regards your FT-817. If it’s “only” an 817 it won’t have 60m capability as standard and even if it is the 817ND, it only has the US channels not the UK “bandlets” or the WRC15 band. So in short, you’ll need to “wide-band” the rig if you want to operate on 60m (if you haven’t already done so).

You are correct as regards the SOTA database - you have the option to enter that you were using a different callsign to the normal one and it will still count to the same total. Under my activators total I have contacts made as DD5LP, VK2JI & G8GLM - as well as a few with other country prefixes such as OE.

73 Ed.

I’ve been able to work 2m FM QSOs easily from several G/LD, G/SP, G/NP, GW/NW summits using 2W from a VX170 handheld to a J-Pole antenna made from 300ohm ribbon feeder and a 5m fishing rod. It’s possible to work using just the handy + rubber duck but you are making things harder.

If you refresh your GB geography, the summits facing the major NW England conurbations of Liverpool-Manchester and their many satellite towns are the places where it’s easiest to get a QSO from a summit on 2m FM.

Hi Bernard,

For sheer numbers of FM contacts, a colinear is probably the most effective antenna, to take up a summit.

However, it takes a bit of patience to assemble, so not everyones cup of tea.

Working with an X-200 or X-300 colinear from the South Pennines, will normally keep Activators busy for quite some time… Especially weekends. A few years ago, G/SP-004 Shining Tor would often produce 200 2m FM contacts on a Saturday. Not tried an activation like that for maybe 6 years, so I’m not too sure if it’s still possible.

GL
Mike
2E0YYY

2 Likes

Yeah, definitely still is possible. I went up there with just a handheld and rubber duck yesterday (Thursday) and made 7 contacts in as many minutes. If sat up there with a colinear on a Saturday, a bumper log would be guaranteed. A simple dipole set up (omni, vertical) would achieve this, and be quick and easy to set up, and very lightweight.

1 Like

Bernard,
As an improvement over the rubber duck antenna on your HT but not going to the big colinear or even J-pole antenna, a lot of us have the RH-770 antenna - you need to get one with the correct connector - they come with all the common ones and cost less that A$10 shipped from China. This is an antenna built around a telescopic antenna and so is reasonably short for transport but long in operation.

73 Ed.

The time and day of the week make a significant difference to the size of the log!

Cool, thanks everyone. I’ve decided to bring the FT-817 as it’s the most versatile option. Good for SOTA and I can chuck a mag mount antenna on the vehicle and use it mobile as well. But, as Ed pointed out, I may have to trade up to an FT-818 so I can use 60m. Oh well, I was going to have to do something about that eventually anyway, assuming our licensing authority is going to get round to giving us access to the band at some point.

Bernard VK2IB / G4LGK

No need to buy an FT-818, rather you need to clip a diode in the rig to open it up (if you don’t feel confident to do this - find someone down at your club who is - you’ll find details on the web). Most likely if Australia ever gets 60m it’ll be the WRC15 band which is different to the UK bandlets, so by having the rig’s frequency range open you’re covered for both - but beware that you don’t operate out of band - something you have to watch on 40m in the UK in any case - as in Europe we only have 7.0-7.2MHz not 7.0-7.3 as in Australia and the US.

73 Ed.

I did a quick search and found the mod described by Cees/PA1CA which seems straightforward, if a bit fiddly. I’m not sure I would attempt that without proper workshop facilities. The bench in my garage is not going to be appropriate for that job, I’m guessing!

Bernard VK2IB / G4LGK

PRIORITY #1 - good magnifying glasses or workshop illuminated magnifying glass - are you a member of a local club? Even if you aren’t a member, go to the local club as they are likely to have that kind of gear.

I believe there is one link to snip or desolder to, in principal just add 60m - try that first and if it doesn’t work, there’s one to remove to totally open the complete HF range on transmit - I ended up having to do that on my FT817ND.

73 Ed.

There was a Reflector thread on the FT817 mod a few years ago:

It includes a photo of the front panel circuit board, showing the state of the solder links after the mod. These are printed circuit pads bridged (or not) with solder, seen just above the black circular component towards the left side (tuning encoder):

I carried out this mod on my 817ND. It wasn’t difficult, you just need somwhere clean to open it up, a fine soldering iron and solder sucker, and a steady hand so that you don’t melt any of the surrounding components!

Edit: I should say it is not my intention to provide full instructions, just pointing out that the mechanical work required is not too demanding…

Adrian
G4AZS

And make sure you have your settings and memories backed up because you need to fully reset the radio IIRC when you power it on for the 1st time after the mod.

2 Likes

When I carried out this mod on my FT817ND I didn’t even have a solder sucker (lent out but not returned!) but used a piece of braid successfully. It was surprisingly easy and from removing the first screw to testing the mod was only about a quarter hour.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I’ll get myself a decent work space and a desktop magnifier and give it a go :smile: