Visit to Japan

This is really too bad. At least you tried and got out in the mountains. There is always some activity on the 2 bands you tried so you should have heard somebody for sure. Even when you hear people though it is not always easy to get people to answer CQ when you do not sound Japanese as some operators do not always feel comfortable with their language skills. I have had one instance where after a 5h+ hike on skis I could hear tons of people but could not make a single QSO. It is part of the learning process. You did not have a lot of time to play around with your set-up and equipment, so maybe next time for sure. Kudos for trying.

Hi Laurent

Is the MP1 the compact whip antenna with the adjustable base loading? Called a miracle whip? As far as I have observed the miracle has not happened for anyone using one of those. The losses are far too high. It’s a shame you were limited to that “antenna”. Better luck next time with a wire antenna.

As an experiment I suggest setting up an A/B test against a wire antenna. I think the value of the mp1 will be revealed.

73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

The MP1 is nothing like the miracle whip (aka dummy load). It is very popular for SOTA activations particularly with CW operators.

Thanks for the link. Looks like an interesting item. A lot more substantial than the Miracle whip I referred to.

73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

Hi andrew, that is the whip you may have seen on my backpack earlier this year. I have made contacts into VK3 on 40m when pedestrian portable with the FT-817 (single dragwire) so it does work, but nowhere near as well as a dipole of course.

Matt
VK1MA

Thanks Matt, I recall seeing it but didn’t take enough notice of it to remember the details.

Hi Laurent,

My recent activations in Japan didn’t go to well either (two weeks ago), so you are not alone! Our group hiked to the top of Mt. Fuji, JA/SO-001. We arrived for the sunrise, but the winds whipped up and it became unsafe in the activation zone. Could not put up the squidpole, tried 2m on a hand held without luck and decided to abort due to the high winds and chill factor. An activation on a lower summit, Rokko, only produced 2 contacts in two hours, so didn’t complete that activation either. I would have stayed longer, but my friends wanted to go.

Cheers,
Glenn VK3YY, JP3PBQ

Hi Laurent,

Sorry to hear that you could not get any QSO during your staying in Japan. If you QRV on CW then it is hard to believe no QSO even in weekday. I wonder why but perhaps antenna could be a reason? Language matters are yes still there but most of HF high band and 6m lovers do not have any problem for language. This language block is rather high in 40m and lower and over 144MHz. Not sure but this is my general feeling. 6m and high band is very calm on weekday.

Hi Glenn
Again sorry for no QSO in your staying. But I got a report from one guy, very famous Chaser in Japan, he already retired, has tried to QSO with you by finding of your Spotting on SOTAWatch2 but your signal was very scarce and repeated up and down and finally vanished. Perhaps this is the time that you turned off switch of rig. Hope you can do it next time.

Hi Toru,

On Rokko, the rain made operating conditions difficult, and my family wanted to move on, although I stayed nearly 2 hours on the summit!
If I was by myself, I would have stayed longer and possibly made four contacts. The activation was during the week, so I did not expect much SOTA activity!

The hike up Fuji was spectacular, although the high winds and chill factor meant we couldn’t spend long in the activation zone.

We had a fantastic time in Japan though, apart from the radio!
Next April, we may return to Japan for two weeks, so I will make more time for SOTA then.

Blog from Fuji:

Cheers,
Glenn VK3YY JP3PBQ.

Hello dear friends,
Now it is one month that I came back from Japan and I want to come back on this thread to give a small feedback. Of course I am very disappointed that I was not able to activate summits in Japan.
I made last week end a check of my equipment to know if something was defective, but I found no problem on it.
In addition, I had the possibility to activate this week 3 small summits in Switzerland. Just small activations with the same equipment (HB1B 4W and MP1 antenna). I worked on 7, 10 and 14 MHz in CW and was able to qualify the 3 summits. For shure that was not the best equipment in Japan but I think it should have worked. No luck.
I hope I will have a new opportunity to go to Japan. Wait and see!
Best 73’s
Laurent de F8CZI / JI1UOE

Hi,

I’ll be visiting Japan in August and hope to do some SOTA activations while I’m there.

I wonder if anyone has any other experiences or information to share about SOTA in Japan…

I’ll be taking my KX2 and and a wire antenna and I’m debating whether to also take a 2/70 handheld. I’m travelling light, so if it isn’t going to be useful, I’d rather leave it behind.

I’ve already been assigned the Japanese callsign JJ1SEV and type approval for my radios.

I’m also nearing the end of the CWA level 1 course, so hopefully I’ll be able to improve my odds by activating with CW.

Cheers M0SKF/JJ1SEV

Lots of fun. Good body of chasers that appear most activations. 2/70 is viable on its own around Tokyo and Osaka. CW eliminates the “accent” issue, but I’ve always managed to get 4 contacts despite sounding very strange. Summits are often quite crowded, particularly on a weekend,

Tsukubasan (IB-003) near Tokyo is dead simple - my blog https://vk3arr.wordpress.com/ has a few activation reports. Jimbasan (KN-055??) is a fun walk along the Takao ridge.

I’m in Japan about the same time, feel free to PM me your itinerary and maybe there’s an opportunity for a joint activation.

Andrew (JI1GBE)

Hi,

Looks like there is a SOTA meeting in JA coming up :grinning:

Will be in JA 25th of August till 12th of September.
First part up north to Hokkaido for some activations. 31st SOTA dinner and next day at the Tokio Ham Fair. Second part will be Gifu area visiting Kiso valley and the area.

Hope we can manage a S2S or meeting.

And I myself for some operation infos:

The practice with the red stickers was given up acourding to my latest infos.

Mt Ooyama JA/KN-006 is also a recommendation near Tokyo. Take the cable car and hike up in about 1h 15min +/-

73 Joe

Oh, great news!

I’d love to organise a joint activation or S2S if the itenerary allows.

I’m actually there on my honeymoon, so although Mrs M0SKF does enjoy walking up hills I can’t spend all my time playing with the radio!

We’ll be arriving in Sapporo 20th Aug, travelling around on the train and departing from Tokyo 31st Aug.

Okay great. We are already on the same island.
Flight will take us to Rishiri on the 26th of August. Next day most likely activatoin of JA8/SY-001 - Rishirizan (Rishirifuji)

Most likely 30th of September activation of JA8/KK-001 - Taisetsuzan (Asahidake)

Will bring my 817nd and antennas for 2m, 70cm, 40/20/17m. No CW so SSB and FM will need to work.

I will set alerts as soon as I can better predict times.

73 Joe

Hi Sam
You must stay one more day, you are going to miss Japanese biggest ham event, Tokyo Hamfair 2019 on 31 Aug to 1 Sept.
There are few SOTA active members in Hokkaido but I will distribute in SOTA Japan ML. Better have a plan to QRV in HF.

Toru JH0CJH & M0ITP

Hi Toru,
I’d love to stay longer, but unfortunately we have work commitments back in London.
I’ll be bringing my HF gear, hopefully I’ll be confident enough with my CW by then!

1 Like

Hi All,

Unfortunately we’ve had to postpone our trip until October. So I won’t be around for S2S or joint activations in August…

73 Sam

Ok, see you then

Toru jh0cjh