VE6 Alberta, New SOTA Association, Activation Aler

Since the new VE6 Alberta SOTA Association does not go live until 01/10/2012 00:00 UTC and I intend to be up a mountain at this time, I wont be able to enter this alert (DB not available yet), so apologies if this is the inappropriate place to notify.

Walker VA6MCB plans to activate VE6/HC-015 [Grotto Mountain, 2707m (8881 feet), 6 points ] on Monday, October 1st 2012, 00:01UTC = > Sunday, September 30th, 2012, 6:01:00 PM (MDS) Mountain Daylight Saving Time.

This will be the first SOTA activation for the new SOTA Association, VE6 Alberta

20m Frequencies
Primary:14.340-ssb, 14.345-ssb, 14.342.5-ssb, in that order, depending on availability.
Backup Frequency if strong signals present: 14.285

2m Frequency
Primary: 146.52

I will be using an Elecraft KX3 and 5m SS Telescoping Vertical (24x Counterpoise Radials) mounted and fed at 1.5m above ground, wind permitting.

VE6/HC-015 Grotto Mountain, Hector Region
2707m (8881 feet)
N51.08830 W115.26830

Thanks for listening,
Walker VA6MCB

In reply to VA6MCB:

Thats some cool news. Welcome and best of luck 73

In reply to VA6MCB:

Since the new VE6 Alberta SOTA Association does not go live until
01/10/2012 00:00 UTC and I intend to be up a mountain at this time, I
wont be able to enter this alert (DB not available yet), so apologies
if this is the inappropriate place to notify.

Maybe this is something for Andy to look at. It ought not to be difficult for the system to accept alerts in advance of a summit being valid as long as the alert time is after it becomes valid (unless the info isn’t put in the database early enough).

In reply to VA2SG:
Thanks JP your about the right distance for 20m QSO, 73

In reply to G8TMV:

SOTAwatch != Database.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to VA6MCB:
I am sorry to say I don’t have a base station at the moment … But you’ll have takers.

In reply to VA6MCB:
Good luck Walker…Sunday 6pm AB time…I’ll be listening… I’m sure you’ll have lots of stateside chasers! 20M will probably be in my skip zone…I live in a valley so 2M probably a no go also. We’ll have to get together some day for an activation!

73 Mike VA6FUN SOTA Shack Sloth

In reply to VA6FUN:
Very neat port of data Mike. VE6 starts up in about 2½ days and now has acquired just 1 chaser but with already 2573 points (as I type). Hope you can have fun with now some “local” VE6 activators. Next get out and activate VE6.
73 Jim g0cqk

In reply to VA6FUN:
Thanks Mike. I got your offline email but my reply was bounced by your email filters (551 Error)

Wooohooo! This is going to be a cool loaded association with 2700 m only being a 6 pointer. Good luck on your activation!

In reply to G0CQK:
Jim…I have my ATS4A ready to go…hoping summits near my home QTH will be on the database! If not this year…winter almost here…then next summmer for sure! Looking forward to meeting Walker some day…perhaps a joint activation…GREAT to have another VE6 SOTA member!!!

73 Mike VA6FUN

In reply to VA6MCB:

Great news. Best of luck Sunday/Monday.
73, Malcolm VE2DDZ

In reply to VA6MCB:
Failed VE6 Activation
Sorry if you invested time listening for me.
I just got back (It been dark for a couple of hours in VE6-land), I had to bail and make an inglorious retreat, plunging barometer and evil clouds…
I did learn one thing, I wont be dragging my 7.8 Ah SLA up any more 2700m peaks, I will stick to my 2x 9.8 Ah LiPo

Next time I will be able to choose better weather and time of day.

Thanks for your SOTA encouragement.

In reply to VA6MCB:

Thanks for the effort Walker! It sure does get dark early here in VE6 land now as winter approaches. Looking forward to working you in the future! Give some thought to 40M for us local chasers Hi Hi.

Mike VA6FUN