VE2/SG-003 report

Hi all,

Yesterda, after a 75 minutes drive, I began ascension of Mont Edouard around 1445 UTC. WX forecast was minus 2 with 15 kmh winds. After 80 minutes hiking an ascension of about 450 m, I made it to summit.

Setting up went well but I realised the winds were bigger at summit than expected. Forecast was for light winds by 1700 UTC but that didnt materialized. Decided to operate from inside the summit shelter with antenna outside.

The DX contest made impossible any attempt on 20. Anyway, it was already planned to try 17m es 30m and see if condx were interesting. The sunspots nr was not favorable.

Made 2 QSOs with friends W3MC and WG0AT and CQed 18.096 for long time with no takers. Battery voltage went down pretty fast, cold WX taking out power from my gel type.

For safety reasons, my plan was to begin hiking down at 1830UTC, success or not of the expedition. I found two other stations on 17m, tried some 30m with no luck. 2.5 watts were oubviously not getting me into Europe.

With 4 QSOs in log, I began hiking down with strong winds. WX forecast was no good in my area. 50 minutes later, I sit in my car, happy about the experience and glad my new winter coat kept me from the cold.

More audio and video here: - YouTube

CU next time.

JP VA2SG/p

In reply to VA2SG:

QRP brought me to W/VA reliably during the contest (pile-ups and QRM permitting). I scanned 30m occasionally but heard nothing - lack of operators?

If activating on contest weekends I sometimes participate for a while from the summit - no log PC required…

Regards,

Gerd.

In reply to VA2SG:

success or not of the expedition. I found two other stations on 17m,
tried some 30m with no luck. 2.5 watts were oubviously not getting me
into Europe.

I was listening on 18096 kHz, but only noise in France with my wire antenna.

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

In reply to DF9TS:

QRP brought me to W/VA reliably during the contest (pile-ups and QRM
permitting).

If activating on contest weekends I sometimes participate for a while
from the summit - no log PC required…

Yes, Gerd, I agree. In England, we have a saying … “If you can’t beat them, join them!”

On Saturday 28th Nov I was QRV on 20m CW with 5 watts from G/CE-001. I worked 85 stations in the contest, including many W and VE … even a W0 in Iowa and a W6 in California. On Sunday 29th Nov I activated G/SC-010, and on that day I worked 48 contest stations with my 5 watts … again many W/VE and also a PY (but I had to stop because of heavy rain). Altogether over the weekend I worked 5 continents, all on 20m CW with an inverted V dipole.

So QRP DX is possible, if the station on the other side is well-equipped!

Walt (G3NYY/P)

In reply to VA2SG:

For safety reasons, my plan was to begin hiking down at 1830UTC,
success or not of the expedition. I found two other stations on 17m,
tried some 30m with no luck. 2.5 watts were oubviously not getting me
into Europe.

With 4 QSOs in log, I began hiking down with strong winds.

Hi JP!

Congratulations on your successful activation of Mont Edouard!

I think you will find that after 1600 UTC at this time of year, both 20m and 17m are starting to close to Europe. It’s almost dark here at 1630 UTC and there are very few W and VE signals on 20 and 17m by that time. Today with my FT817 (5 w) and dipole on 20m I worked K8CW at 1450 UTC and K1PUG at 1500 UTC. They both gave me RST 559.

Good luck, and hope to CU from the next one!

Walt (G3NYY/P)

In reply to G3NYY:
I take note Walt. Tnx es CU later.

72 73

JP VA2SG