Two popular SOTA antenna compared

Progress is being made on our experiment to compare antennas on a hilltop. Initial tests comparing the antennas on a flat site showed that in poor conditions it will be hard to gather enough data to allow statistically significant range cuts. To address this we are building up two 10 Watt 20 m systems in our factory. One of my technicians is working on the linear amplifiers today. My plan is to mount these in enclosures with suitable batteries to allow 12 hours running time.

1 Like

I think a simple Class C would be enough for WSPR. Better efficiency :).

Can’t wait for the results.

Razvan.

Is that a T50-10 that he’s got stuck on his ear…:grin:

1 Like

I think you need to consider the usage.
SOTA, on a remote hilltop, no manmade interference on receive, propably running lower tx power than the chasers.
Compared to chasers in urban areas you propably can hear much weaker signals and because of your
limited tx power they often can’t hear you.

Receive test would be interesting but maybe not so useful to activators.
For chasers it would be useful but in urban areas verticals are often used because it needs smaller backyard.

But if your comparing antennas…

It would be useful to me, because I think a dipole on the higher bands receives better than a vertical. By theory it would also agree. In context of an activation

Worth ago I reckon, it’s all fun… But then again the WSPRlite doesn’t Rx, so maybe its not commercially that interesting :wink: