Two mentions for SOTA in Radcom June 2012

Good to see two separate SOTA news stories in the June 2012 edition of RadCom.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

It’s alright for those who have received the June 2012 edition of RadCom!

:wink:

Walt (G3NYY)

Two items (not sure if the same two or not, as also haven’t yet rx’d June RC) also taking up over 50% of Page 11 in the new PW. And even more via the Southgate ARC news feed, and on their direct website.

Hopefully more to follow, as I’ve been putting plenty out lately. (And still waiting for some photos and comments from two activators for more press releases - you know who you are!).

Tom M1EYP

In reply to G3NYY:

Ah but now you have something to look forward too along with your monthly dose of pictures of just about everyone who has passed a licence test recently! :wink:

p.s. I’m not a member at present either.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Any active Radio Amateur really should be a member of RSGB, warts and all.

Richard gm0ogn

In reply to GM0OGN:

It seems that the majority of hams disagrees with you, Richard, perhaps because there seems to be more warts than good skin. If recent proposals to take control away from the members come to pass I shall vote with my feet, too - after all, PW is a better read than Radcom!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to GM0OGN:

Really… you pay and I’ll join.
:slight_smile:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to GM0OGN:

I can assure you I am a fully paid-up member of the RSGB, and attended the last 2 AGMs!

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G8ADD:

In reply to GM0OGN:

It seems that the majority of hams disagrees with you, Richard,

I’m not sure that the majority of hams disagree!

I’ll continue to be a member just in case. If the RSGB folded, we might keep our frequency allocations, and we might automatically get more in line with other countries from time to time, and we might always be free to use home brew equipment without type approval, and there might always be NOVs for higher power and interesting bands, but there is just that nagging doubt…

Adrian

In reply to G4AZS:
I think that sums it up rather well.

Rod

In reply to G4AZS:

If the RSGB folded,

Memo to new RSGB GM: “The brainwashing is still working.”

:frowning:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Memo to new RSGB GM: “The brainwashing is still working.”

Well, in that case we are giving them an easy target. The people who really represent us in discussions with OFCOM etc are keeping remarkably quiet. Probably too busy looking out for us, I guess…

In reply to G4AZS:

In reply to MM0FMF:

Memo to new RSGB GM: “The brainwashing is still
working.”

Well, in that case we are giving them an easy target. The people who
really represent us in discussions with OFCOM etc are keeping
remarkably quiet. Probably too busy looking out for us, I guess…

This is the UK, everything is actually done by the Old Boy Network, the overt negotiations are just a smoke screen!

Brian G8ADD

This is the UK, everything is actually done by the Old Boy Network,
the overt negotiations are just a smoke screen!

I think every organisation that I have belonged to has been criticised for being run by a small closed group. Maybe they are Old Boys, maybe they are political activists, maybe they are compulsive organisers, or just a really enthusiastic group of friends. Occasionally, they are ousted by a pressure group, but that often leads to total demise when it turns out that nobody else actually wants to put the work in.
Back to the RSGB, we are talking about a hobby. I don’t really mind if the Old Boy system is at work, as long as ordinary folk like me can get to play amateur radio at minimal expense, and without getting locked up! I still think the RSGB is way better than not having a national society, but I absolutely support the right of anyone to think differently :o)

In reply to G4AZS:

As it happens, Adrian, I do not disagree with you, despite my feelings of disquiet about some of the things that they do and the way that they do them.

Brian

In reply to M1EYP:

Two items (not sure if the same two or not, as also haven’t yet rx’d
June RC) also taking up over 50% of Page 11 in the new PW.

There’s no overlap between the RadCom and PW articles. :slight_smile:

73, Rick M0LEP