Egietakogain EA2/NV-055 by EA2IF/P on 16/02/2019

You can see here below the location of this summit to the North-East of Pamplona.
>Aquí debajo pueden ver la ubicación de esta cima hacia el Nordeste de Pamplona.
imagen

This summit had only been activated once on 2m FM by Juan-Carlos EA2EEB in 2014 and I wanted to activate it for my first time and offer it on HF to a wider community.
>Esta cima solo había sido activada una vez en 2m FM por Juan Carlos EA2EEB en 2014 y quería activarla por mi primera vez y ofrecerla en HF a una comunidad más amplia.

As announced, I drove to the little village of Zilbeti, which is slightly under a 30Km drive from my QTH.
This is the GPS track I followed to get to the summit:
>Tal como anuncié, conduje hasta el pequeño pueblo de Zilbeti, que es un trayecto de poco menos de 30Km desde mi QTH.
Esta es la ruta GPS que seguí para llegar a la cima:

It was a cold morning and the temperatures I could see in different thermometers in the city of Pamplona were ranging from +1, 0, -2 and -3 depending on their locations.
>Era una fría mañana y las temperaturas que pude ver en diferentes termómetros en la ciudad de Pamplona iban desde +1, 0, -2 y -3 dependiendo de sus ubicaciones.

In the village of Zilbeti, I didn’t look at any thermometer but it felt like really cold and I’d estimate it wasn’t above -5 deg. C and probably below that seen the thickness of the ice on some puddles I found on my way.
>En el pueblo de Zilbeti, no miré ningún termómetro pero se sentía realmente frío y estimaría que no estaba por encima de -5 grados C y probablemente más bajo a la vista del grosor del hielo en algunos charcos que encontré en mi camino.

I parked the car by the river flowing along the village and started walking on a concrete road with the 6 pointer Mt. Adi EA2/NV-017 at sight.
>Aparqué el coche junto al río que fluye a lo largo del pueblo y empecé caminando en una carretera de cemento con la SOTA de 6 puntos Mt. Adi EA2/NV-017 a la vista.

The concrete road soon turned into a dirt road, which could have been driven by car shouldn’t it be forbidden for unauthorised vehicles:
>El camino de cemento pronto pasó a ser una pista, que podrá haber sido recorrida en coche si no lo hubiera estado prohibido para vehículos no autorizados.

I was expecting to find some snow and soon we met the first traces:
>Esperaba encontrar algo de nieve y pronto encontramos las primeras manchas.

On my way up along the dirt road, I enjoyed some water streams like these:
>En mi subida a lo largo de la pista, disfruté algunos arroyos como estos:

In the following picture, the dirt road shows the final bend covered in snow and so it was from that bend all the way up to the summit:
>En la foto siguiente, la pista muestra la curva final cubierta de nieve y así estuvo desde esa curva todo el camino hasta la cima.

This is what I mean:
>Esto es lo que quiero decir:

This following picture shows the start of the final attack to the summit. This slope was exposed to the cold North winds and the snow was frozen hard, so much that I had to hike with extreme care to avoid sleepering down the slope. The good thing is there were frozen footprints from some other previous mountainer and they served very well to me on that frozen hard section:
>Esta foto siguiente muestra el comienzo del ataque final a la cima. Esta pendiente estaba expuesta a los fríos vientos del Norte y la nieve estaba congelada y dura, tanto que tuve que subir con extremo cuidado para evitar resbalar pendiente abajo. Lo bueno es que había huellas congeladas de algún montañero previo y éstas me vinieron muy bien en esa parte cogelada y dura:

This is the very final section before reaching the summit.
>Esta es la última parte antes de alcanzar la cima:

And the summit was reached at 10h20 utc after 1h and 50 minutes hiking. The view of the Pyrenees mountains was beautiful.
>Y la cima se alcanzó a las 10h20 utc tras 1h y 50 minutos de subida. La vista de los montes Pirineos era preciosa.

This is why we like so much hiking mountains, isn’t it?:
>Esto es por lo que nos gusta tanto subir montañas, verdad?

It was cold and windy at the summit, so I first of all put on the 3 extra layers of warm clothing I had plus a scarf and then proceeded with setting up the SOTA station.
>Hacía frío y viento en la cima, así que primero de todo, me puse las 3 capas extra de ropa de abrigo que tenía más una bufanda y entonces procedí a instalar la estación SOTA.

A nice couple of mountaineers showed up at some point and they kindly accepted my request to take a few pictures of myself and my setup during the operation:
>Una simpática pareja de montañeros aparecieron en un momento dado y amablemente aceptaron mi petición para hacerme unas fotos durante la operación:

The activation went like this:

• Started on 40m CW, where I logged 31 QSOs in 31 minutes, 4 of which were S2S.
  • Followed with 30m CW, where I logged 15 QSOs in 15 minutes.
  • Finally 20m SSB, where I logged 10 QSOs in 11 minutes, 2 of which were S2S and 1 was a DX across the Pond from the US NH.
  • When no more calls were heard on 20m SSB, I QSYed to CW, but as soon as I landed on 14.062 and heard the contest traffic, I switched off my rig and decided to call it a day.

>La activación fue así:

• Empecé en 40m CW, donde anoté 31 QSOS en 31 minutos, 4 de los cuales fueron S2S.
  • Seguí con 30m CW, donde anoté 15 QSOs en 15 minutos.
  • Finalmente 20m SSB, donde anoté 10 QSOs en 11 minutos, 2 de los cuales fueron S2S y 1 fue un DX con el otro lado del charco desde New Hampshire.
  • Cuando no oí más llamadas en 20m SSB, hice QSY a CW, pero en cuanto aterricé en 14.062 y oí el tráfico del contest, apagué mi radio y decidí darlo por terminado.

This is the full log with 56 QSOs and 6 S2S:
>Este es el log completo con 56 QSOs y 6 S2S:

imagen

This is the S2S log:
>Este es el log S2S:
imagen

After dismantlying and packing up, I was ready to descend but I took a couple more pictures of this nice peaceful summit:
>Tras desmantelar y empaquetar, estaba listo para bajar pero tomé un par de fotos más de esta bonita y apacible cima.

Nothing was left behind after the activation.
>Nada quedó atrás después de la activación.

I think this will be my work computer desktop picture over the whole week.
>Creo que esta será mi foto del escritorio en el ordenador del trabajo durante toda la semana.

By the way, the name of this mountain, according to the trig point plate, is Tiratun:
>Por cierto, el nombre de esta montaña.según la placa en el vértice geodésico, es Tiratun:
imagen

Descent was OK on the steeper slopes with the frozen hard snow because the Sun had already risen temperatures up a bit by that time and I could break the snow surface with my boots at each step, thus managing to get down with no problems.
>El descenso fue OK en las pendientes más inclinadas con la nieve congelada y dura porque el Sol había ya hecho subir las temperaturas un poco para entonces y pude romper la superficie de la nieve con mis botas a cada paso, consiguiendo así bajar sin problemas.

Upon arriving back to the car, I enjoyed again the view of the 6 pointer Mt. Adi, where I had my very first SOTA activation. Nice memories…
>A mi llegada de vuelta al coche, disfruté de nuevo la vista de la SOTA Monte Adi de 6 puntos, donde hice mi primera activación SOTA. Bonitos recuerdos…

Thanks dear chasers for your calls and QSOs.
I’ll be looking forward to copying you all again very soon from another summit.
>Gracias estimados cazadores por sus llamadas y QSOs.
Estaré esperando copiarles a todos ustedes otra vez muy pronto desde otra cima.

Guru

9 Likes

Hi Guru,
congrats on this excellent activation, very well done providing the hard weather condition.
Thanks for sharing these nice pictures. I’m glad you had a sunny day to compensate the cold and thick snow up there.

I must visit this summit to get the complete, perhaps in summer time!

VY 73 de Ignacio

1 Like