Trying 80m

I’ll look out for you Andy, since i’m currently stucked at home for weeks.

Laurent

I be listening for ya on 80m :slight_smile:
karl

Yesterday Dave G3TQQ and I tried 80m qro from G/SP-004 Shining Tor and Dave worked several stations on 80-ssb but I didn’t have any luck on 80-cw but had success on 40, 30 & 20-cw. I am still puzzled about this, as I did alert and check the frequency!

Nick

I haven’t had much luck on 80m using a doublet resonant around 6MHz, and matched with an Elecraft T1 AATU. 5W from FT817.
I normally use the antenna on 40m / 60m / 30m.

Spurred on by this thread, I am going to cut an 80m dipole, and aim to be on a summit with it around 10:00 UTC tomorrow - unless the activity time changes, in which case I will ty to fit in!

Adrian

OK change of plan. I am able to use the car tomorrow so I can go a little further afield and activate a new summit for me. So I am going to do Birks Fell G/NP-031 and hope to be there for 10.30UTC so slightly later. I hope that fits in with everyone. I’ll be doing 80m CW first - I’ll try to remember the microphone for SSB.

I have this awful feeling that after all this coordination my antenna won’t tune on 80m! I’ll have 20/30/40/2 though.

1 Like

There is a thread somewhere about the use of coils in the 60m/40m link so that a linked 20/40/60 dipole is near resonance for 80m also. I have used mine several times this month with more success than 60m on several occasions. Allan, GW4VPX/P, and I made pairs of coils and they turned out to be very different but both sets worked.

Might be out with them on SW-012 Saturday pm.

I will try to find and add a link to that thread:-

Allan’s coils on post 8

73, Rod

2 Likes

My coils are smaller than Allan’s and hang differently.

The hooks attach the coils to the link insulator; the croc clips attach inside so the screws don’t need to stick out and be a nuisance. They are stored in a toilet roll centre which protects from chafing in transit.
In use:-

These are the Mk2 coils which are a close copy of the final version of the Mk1 - the Mk1s were very much a try it and see what happens, giving resonance points way outside the band initially but ending somewhere mid-band depending on pole, ground and weather, so the ATU is still used.

May be something helpful here.
Rod

1 Like

I’ve used a SOTABeams Quadbander loads, which is a full 80m dipole, and the results have been great even with 5w out of an FT-817 on SSB. Spotting will get you contacts.

Have fun!
Regards, Mark. M0NOM

Thanks Laurent, I should be setup and 80m CW QRV about 10:00 to 10:15 UTC a bit ahead of Richard. Weather forecast good.

Richard,
I should be at home around that time tomorrow.
I did put your call in my HamAlert app, so my phone will beep whenever you stick your head out …
Of course 10:30 UTC is not the best time for 80m …

As a note : just a one-time experience with an 80m dipole …
I once did a one-man QRP fieldday on a Sunday morning in 2017 , I started with a full size 80m dipole at low height (top at only 5m), so had to shorten the legs to abt 17m … SWR was OK, but I couldn’t get any station that I heard … called and called, no use …
Then changed to a prototype endfed antenna that I now use for all my SOTA activations : 9.15m wire, 3.5m coax, no counterpoise at all (but I do use a 4m CP now for SOTA)
Top of wire was at 6m, bottom of wire at 1m … and suddenly I could work any station that I heard … I made 62 QSO’s in abt 4 hours, all with 5W.
Luc, ON7DQ

You’re right of course about the time of day.

I’ve been getting great results (at home) with my new homemade 80m dipole late afternoons and evenings. But I’ve just been calling CW on 80m (with 10W) to no effect (12:00 UTC). The band seems dead. Now, is that because it’s the middle of the day here and D-layer absorption is at a maximum or because nobody is listening because they think propagation will be awful?

So, I’ve just run WSPR at 1.0W on 80m (3.5926) and other WSPR stations are receiving me all over the UK and north-western Europe. Now, I know WSPR can reach the parts other beers, er, I mean, other modes cannot reach, but ……

Probably, the human ops are all out to lunch. Hopefully, the SOTA chasers won’t be on Friday.

With a ear on 2m hopefully for an s2s from Tryfan GW/NW-006 also? :grinning:

73 Allan

1 Like

I’ll also be on 2m FM but that will be after I’ve done HF. I’ll keep an eye on SOTA spotter though and switch if I see you are active.

1 Like

I bought some wire and kite winders from Sotabeams at the Norbreck rally a couple of years ago, and today I got around to building an 80 / 60 / 40 linked dipole using dimensions from the SotaMaps calculator.
Nice wire to work with, very reluctant to tangle - looking forward to trying it on GW/MW-026 tomorrow.

It’s too big to play with in my garden, so I may take an analyser with me tomorrow and spend some time fine tuning. (I’ll take the T1 AATU as well, so I should be able to try it on air first).

Thanks Rod @M0JLA for reminding me about the loading coils for 160m, I might work on those soon…

Adrian

3 Likes

I’m not saying that any of the stations you worked were WABers, Nick, but with 40m all but dead, most are listening on 80m. Out of interest what frequency were you on?

Yes indeed, but if it’s alerted by early am of the day of intended activation, I’ll no doubt pick it up as I always do a summary of alerted UK summits for the WAB media. 3760 is always worth a pop, even if the net is not currently active.

2 Likes

That is a step too far for me :smile:

I will look out for you later - above 3.755 is very noisy here today.
Rod

Sorry Richard, nothing heard here.
I listened for you in CW, then in SSB … NIL
I did work 2 others on 80m though, G8CPZ/P came in at 529, GW4AZS/P at 419.
Don’t know what power they used;
Luc - ON7DQ

Luc, 10W in my case.

Not uploaded my logs yet but thanks to you and also to Bruno (HB9CBR/P), Adrian (GW4AZS/P) and Richard (G4TGJ/P) for CW S2S’s on 80m. I’ve very pleased with first portable use of new 80m dipole - Call me lazy (I do have a linked dipole) but the KX2 ATU also loaded great on 60, 40 and 30m giving me good reports for S2Ss and others on those bands.

And only 468 grams …

Richard, I listened to you on 3.760 SSB - you were a great signal with me: 5/9 S2S (with no noise!). I tried calling you back but probably messed up - think I need to read the KX2 manual on how to use the internal mic/SSB.

73 Andy (G8CPZ / M0ALC)

2 Likes

Luc, I was running 5W from FT817, thank you for making it work!

Andy - sorry for calling you Gerald, but thanks for the S2S!

Here is my log from today:

The analyser produced some unexpected results on the linked dipole. It seems to be a bit too long on 80m (which is a good starting point) but too short on 60m and 40m, which suggests that I gooffed up in the measuring department.
It was deployed over a wire fence which might have had some effect, but I need to re-check the design and implementation, then maybe try it over normal ground.

Anyway, the Elecraft T1 tuner coped with it, and I was pleased to make a few nice contacts on 80m (my first from a summit, I think) and one on 40m.

Thanks again to all who called me, and to Richard for starting this thread…

Adrian
G4AZS

1 Like