Top Band

Subject to wind condition and being able to get out in the morning, I may try and chuck a couple of hundred feet of wire in the air using the kite.

Is there a prefered/recognised SOTA top band SSB frequency?

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

I’ve chased a couple of times on 1.843 if that helps!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Cheers Brian,

Now all I have to do is find out where top band is on the rig :wink:

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Just spin down the medium wave, and when you fall off the end - there you are! :slight_smile:

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Surely you mean up? If you spin down the medium wave you end up on the long wave. OK I suppose it’s all relative!

Albert Einstein
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

It’s my age, you know - I grew up with domestic radios calibrated in wavelength, but at least they were in metres and not yards!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to 2E0YYY:
That will need a bleedin’ big co-linear Mick?

In reply to G1STQ:

That will need a bleedin’ big co-linear Mick?

The idea of the kite antenna is to leave the colinear behind, cos` my wing man has let me down :wink:

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Subject to wind condition and being able to get out in the morning, I
may try and chuck a couple of hundred feet of wire in the air using
the kite.

Well good luck with the kite Mike. My end fed wire for top band came down in the recent storms - job for this weekend so…

I think the standard static bleed for a kite line is 1 meg ohm - what will you be using?

Mike G6TUH

In reply to G6TUH:

Hi Mike

IIRC, it`s a 1 mega Ohm 20 Watt arrestor. Ray G7TAS from Prowhip Antennas built it for me. I struggle with soldering due to poor eyesight these days. Looks like 12mph wind tomorrow, so may be worth a try.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

That should do the job.

I shall try (weather permitting) and get my wire re-hung first thing and try and make a contact if you go on that band. I just have to climb up a tree 8-( The weighted counterpoise got stuck on a branch - snap.

It will be interesting to see how you get on in any case.

Mike G6TUH

In reply to G6TUH:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

That should do the job.

Yeah, I’ve used it on two or three activations. Band conditions were poor at the time. From Shining Tor in July, I managed just 2 contacts on 80m, 15 on 40m and 20 on 20m. Gun G/SP-013 was even worse and when the line snapped, the chase across the heather nearly killed me :frowning:

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Hi Mike, as already stated 1843 KHz LSB has been used for SOTA many times, so that would be the preferred phone frequency.

I know you will be aware of this Mike but for the benefit of those who are not. Top Band in the UK has different power limits in different sections of the band, as set out below, hence you will see why, at least in the UK, most SOTA activity takes place below 1850KHz.

Frequency in KHz:
Foundation: 1810 to 2000 = 10 Watts
Intermediate: 1810 to 1850 = 50 Watts. 1850 to 2000 = 32 Watts
Full: 1810 to 1850 = 400 Watts. 1850 to 2000 = 32 Watts

Sorry if this may seem pedantic, but you would be amazed at how many people are totally unaware of these limits :wink:

If you can get some photos of the antenna & maybe post an activation report it would be appreciated.

Best of luck tomorrow & I hope to work you at some point :slight_smile:

Thanks & best 73,

Mark G0VOF

In reply to G0VOF:

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the info. I`ll try my best tomorrow, although kite antenna activations never seem to go smoothly for me :wink:

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Don’t worry, as long as you enjoy yourself & maybe learn a bit, it will all be worthwhile :slight_smile:

MARK g0vof

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Mike;

Copied you in Coventry using a 1 meter dia. active loop between 55 and 53, up and down with the qsb or maybe the kite :).

Last heard saying that you had made 6 contacts then you disappeared.

73 de Ken G3XQE

Hello Mike, as I said on 40 it was too windy to climb up the tree today to re-hang the wire so sorry about not having the chance to work you today on top band. It looks as though the kite did a good job today with 6 on top band in daylight. If you have the time it would be interesting to hear your account of kite flying :sunglasses:

Mike G6TUH

In reply to G6TUH:

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the call today, good to work such a strong signal… Sorry to hear you were unable to re-hang your wire :-(.

Yeah, it was windy on G/SP-004 too.

If I can find the time tonight, I’ll knock a report up, if not tomorrow. In the meantime, I’m going to log the activation into the Database.

73 Mike
2E0YYY