Todays Top Tip - 2M SSB/FM

With a simple 3 element beam, a length of coax and 5 watts you will be amazed who is out there wanting to work you and just how far you can get.

Not everyone has all those other fancy bands to play with, so give 2m SSB or FM a try!

This was a public service message.

In reply to 2E0KPO:

Totally agree - I take 2m kit with me everytime but no one seems to be around when I try 2m SSB.

Just make sure you beam north for us GM types and east for our European colleagues!!!

73 Glyn

SYSTEMS PLAYING UP AGAIN -THIS SHOULD BE A REPLY TO THE MSG TWO BELOW!!!

In reply to GM4CFS:

I’ve just figured what’s wrong.

I bet 2E0KPO is using sotawatch.org/alpha rather than /beta. The /alpha version didn’t use GMT but BST on the reflector.

Am I correct?

I will try and disable the /alpha version to prevent this happening

73, Jon

In reply to GM4ZFZ:

That would make sense - Thanks Jon

73 Glyn

In reply to 2E0KPO:

With a simple 3 element beam, a length of coax and 5 watts you will be
amazed who is out there wanting to work you and just how far you can
get.

Not everyone has all those other fancy bands to play with, so give 2m
SSB or FM a try!

I always take my ancient Standard C500 handheld and a 5/8 wave telescopic BNC rig-mounted antenna that I bought at a rally many years ago. Best distance to date - over 90 miles with 2.5W of FM!

Rod
G7AOR

In reply to 2E0KPO:

With a simple 3 element beam, a length of coax and 5 watts you will be
amazed who is out there wanting to work you and just how far you can
get.

Not everyone has all those other fancy bands to play with, so give 2m
SSB or FM a try!

I always take my ancient Standard C500 handheld and a 5/8 wave telescopic BNC rig-mounted antenna that I bought at a rally many years ago. Best distance to date - over 90 miles with 2.5W of FM!

Rod
G7AOR

In reply to 2E0KPO:

Hi Steve

I agree with you, re. 2mtr. ssb and fm, an example, I managed to work Robin GM7PKT/P, 2m ssb, on three summits last weekend and as a bonus, MD/DL2BQD, on GD/GD-001 on 2mtr. fm HORIZONTALLY polarised!! so, even if a minimal station is taken onto the tops, for whatever reason, laying the radio over to the hoizontal and lining it up 90’ to the direction they wish to send
/receive, using the gear as a single element beam, they will be amazed at the difference.
I know you know this but obviously a lot of folks out there don’t!!
Thanks to you and John M0JDK for 6 out of 6 last weekend!!
Regards
Don G0NES]

In reply to 2E0HJD:

All a bit starange, M0JDK and me were using a 857, 10 - 30 watts power at times on a 3 ele SOTA beam and worked Norfolk (170miles away) on 4 out of the 6 and the only reason we did not work him on the other two was he went out. We also made Devon. One for the x Files!