To P or not to P

My experience with /P

As a U.S. operator, I have no requirement to identify /P (and would not by choice), Due to a less than complete understanding of Andy’s SMS text spotting service at the time, I have been spotted as AB3TQ/P. And some chasers did log the contact that way.

Looking at the Who Chased Me data, AB3TQ/P shows up as having been logged as a contact on the Summit, but not to me AB3TQ as the operator.

At worst, just a minor annoyance - but a helpful chaser did contact our group to tell us how to prevent that going forward. Much appreciated. I wonder how he figured that out?

I wish I had a time machine to go back and fix those, but does it really matter? No.

So, how does /P affect the activation logging for other operators?

The database strips /p etc. from calls when checking for confirmations.

Work everything you hear, log everything you work.

15dBW is still strange and rather precise for HF. Maybe some lemon got confused with dBW watts from the original power limit of 15W and then stated in dBW forever after making it 32W.

Microwave enthusiasts best friend that stuff !

Or millibars for the meteorologically minded

Where is it forbidden to use /p? Just in case …

73, Jan-Martin

I don’t know.

But where is it legal to use /QRP ? I can’t think of anywhere that /QRP is a legal suffix to add to a callsign.

Walt (G3NYY)

For FCC Callsigns:

One or more indicators may be included with the call sign. Each indicator must be separated from the call sign by the slant mark (/) or by any suitable word that denotes the slant mark. If an indicator is self-assigned, it must be included before, after, or both before and after, the call sign. No self-assigned indicator may conflict with any other indicator specified by the FCC Rules or with any prefix assigned to another country.

Which one of those restrictions does /QRP violate for me? None that I am aware of. I have no intention of doing that, but conclude that it would be legal for me to do so.

Never mind /QRP, we need more of these type of suffixes :grinning:

1 Like

I think Gerhard’s phone must have imploded. :wink: