Tips for GW/NW -052 GW/NW-73 GW/NW-074 GW/NW-043

If you have anymore tips for the summits GW/NW -052 GW/NW-73 GW/NW-074 GW/NW-043 i might be doing one on the back on the 21.

Ricky

In reply to MW6GWR:

NW-043 is trivial. You can park at the Ponderosa Cafe and walk up. Then buy a nice cup of rosy and something tasty when you get back down. Or you can park near the gate to the access road. It’s probably being a bit rude to park at the cafe and not make use of its facilities.

Up the road from the gate to the top and there is a wind shelter nearby, near the BBC FM Band II transmitter. Whilst there you can study the small tower with 2 back to back dishes which doesn’t exist and is all hush-hush! Or you can wander out another km or so to the trig point if you want. The BT tower at the far end has had most of the big dishes removed from it now and is a shadow of it’s former self.

It shouldn’t take you more than 30mins from the gate to the wind shelter. Best bit is the Ponderosa at the bottom as the grub is top notch. Why not do NW-042, just across the road whilst you are there?

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MW6GWR:

If you have anymore tips for the summits GW/NW -052 GW/NW-73 GW/NW-074
GW/NW-043 i might be doing one on the back on the 21.

If you want my tip Ricky, give GW/NW-043 a miss and do the one on the opposite side of the road, GW/NW-042 Moel y Gamelin. Longish, undulating walk, but much better take-off.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to MM0FMF:
Hello Andy my Mum and I are going to wrexham going at about 7:00. Then going at 4:00 so only got time for one as its 2hours to get back.

Ricky

In reply to 2E0YYY:
I like the look of gw/nw-052 as we can park about 10min away.but it has to be 1:00h max to get to the top i know I got up 2400 feet in 1hour but I would like an ealy one as my mum is coming up with me .

Ricky

Tip for NW-052: What appears to be the obvious final ascent - ignore it. It gets stupidly steep on slippy ground. Instead, continue past it even though it loses a bit of height, and you will come across a good summit path almost doubling back on your right.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to MW6GWR:

Ricky,

For NW-052 park at the highest point on the minor E-W road above Aberangell, at about 813104 where a forest road/track emerges. Plenty of room there unless they are logging.

Follow the right of way path along the higher forest road WSW and keep on going as it rises more sharply and turns towards the SE, pass through a gate (which I think we had to climb over with some difficulty) and keep on going along the track until it levels out alongside a saddle. Then the rise to the summit is almost behind you and is much more gentle with some signs of paths as you turn to the SW and then NW.

Nice big summit that looks a bit like a small hill-fort, still with trig pillar. Done after Cader so 1700 ish and a bit slow but 4 QSOs for me on 2m ssb & 4 for MW6BWA on 2m FM.

For NW-043 just walk up the track. Bad QRM so not good on 2m FM unless you have a good front end or a filter.

Not done the others yet.

Good luck,
Rod

In reply to M1EYP:
Hello Tom thanks for the tip yes I did have a look at what you put I will try that it is sham that its so not ealy to get to noth side as on my map it look like the best way but if we go to this one we will park on the west side and down the right of way path to it.If we do I look forward to be the first to do 20m by the looks of it.but as I say that it is not seid that we are doind one at all but if we can we need to now where and how to get there it is on the wx and the time.

Ricky

In reply to M0JLA:
I don’t like the fiter on the icom 703 and don’t use it but If do one I look forward to haveing the contact and haveing fun.
ps I don’t have the say in the one we do my mum dus

Ricky

In reply to M0JLA:

For NW-043 just walk up the track. Bad QRM so not good on 2m FM
unless you have a good front end or a filter.

Hi Rod,

I think Ricky maybe using a Hand Held. When I did GW/NW-043 a year ago, as an experiment, I lugged an X-510 collinear up there. No noticeable QRM on the FT-857, but only 80 contacts made on VHF in about 5 hours.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Yes for 2m fm i do ues a Hand Held the alinco DJ-195 with all summit around I would not make a contact on 2m fm.

Ricky

In reply to MW6GWR:

In reply to 2E0YYY:
I like the look of gw/nw-052 as we can park about 10min away.but it
has to be 1:00h max to get to the top i know I got up 2400 feet in
1hour but I would like an ealy one as my mum is coming up with me .

Looks like GW/NW-043 Ricky. Will you be using a hand held?

BTW, thanks for taking the time to call me on 40m yesterday.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
I might use the hand held but as my dad aways says I will not make a contact on 2m fm but i might if i have got time and if we do one I would like to but i will only have about 40min up there but its looks like know one at home wiil be able to spot me if i do one so if i do 2m fm i will be about 145.400 145.450 same on hf 7.118 14.285 18.120 21.280

Ricky

In reply to MW6GWR:
Oh and that is also if the alinco DJ-195 wokes as has not been wokeing but my dad has one more radio for 2m fm so might be able to have that one and as i know how to use more then my dad i might take that.
ps thanks Mike for the new summit and the contact.

Ricky