This weekend

Just had a quick glance at http://www.metoffice.gov.uk

Despite Gerald’s reservations (cf Alerts), the weather is now looking more favourable in North Wales for Saturday. Up in North Yorkshire, it looks a potential stunner of a day, and as Jimmy pointed out to me, the only difficulty that Hoove NP-024 might present is the presence of low cloud/poor visibility.

If we do well with Hoove, we might try and get down to Cracoe Fell later, but it isn’t exactly local, so the chances are against I would expect.

It seems I cannot spot from my phone on either the old or the new Spotlite system - can anyone else? - so here’s hoping that G4SSH is sat on 3.557MHz when I first call!

Can anyone still spot from a WAP phone using Spotlite? If so, how?

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
There was no Vodafone coverage on Hoove when we were up there on the NP weekend, but there is good Vodafone coverage on Cracoe Fell if you prefer to ring someone up to spot you.

Phil

I have been kindly emailed a number for a “dial-a-spot” service earlier this morning. But if there’s no Vodafone coverage, then the spots wouldn’t have worked anyway hi!

No worries, I remain confident that I know which callsign will immediately come back, recognising my fist when I first call “QRL?” on 3.557MHz!

I doubt there will be time for Cracoe Fell as well, but if not, hey ho, it’s another day out.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

The weather forecast is more or less changing by the hour! Earlier in the week it was forecast for light showers in northern GW, then yesterday it went to heavy rain for all of the day (the SOTAcanoe is out of commission so this could have been a bit of a problem) and now it is possible showers with the addition of gales from mid afternoon. Is there a science behind this or is crystal ball gazing still involved?

All in all a pair of SP’s might be the best option as we should at least be able to get our antennas erected.

73, Gerald

P.S. Re: "I doubt there will be time for Cracoe Fell as well, but if not, hey ho, it’s another day out."
Hint - get up earlier and get much better VFM!

P.P.S. If the forecast for the SP’s carries on like this, we’ll need to take the deckchairs.

In reply to G4OIG:
Good luck wherever you go!
I may be on the road a good part of Saturday - local forecast is to be aware of potential high winds, with gusts by evening in Cheltenham that may make walking uncomfortable…

73 Graham G4FUJ

In reply to G4OIG:

Is there a science behind this

http://ows.public.sembach.af.mil/index.cfm?section=dsplOOP&image=21OWS_EUROPE_MODEL-DATA_UKMO-GLOBAL_MSLP-TEMP-RAIN-SNOW_SFC_??_00Z

Click and watch the pretty animation.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Pretty animation indeed Andy, but I still don’t know whether it’s going to snow on Monday!!!

73 de Les, G3VQO

In reply to MM0FMF:

Hmmm, maybe time to undertake the first activation of an OD summit. Their weather seems to be far more stable than ours.

73, Gerald

In reply to G3VQO:

but I still don’t know whether it’s going to snow on Monday!

Blue bits means snow possible, green means rain possible.
Bigger the colored bit the heavier the snow/rain.

Yesterday’s MWIS forecast for around Loch Earn on Sunday was windy 30mph (gusts 50mph), blizzard/whiteout conditions early afternoon. For Peebles area on Sunday was windy 30mph (gusts 50mph), blizzard/whiteout conditions early afternoon.

Andy
MM0FMF

“P.P.S. If the forecast for the SP’s carries on like this, we’ll need to take the deckchairs.”

I’ve found that the SOTA deckchair is also out of commission, but we’ve decided we like the look of the sun symbol on the Met Office website for 12 noon at Buxton, so we will be doing the ever popular SP-001 and 004. No doubt that will mean 2 metre high snow drifts!

Hope to work a good few chasers from these summits. Sorry no chaser uniques this time around.

73, Gerald

P.S. After my non-appearance on 2m SSB from Great Knoutberry last time out, I’ll definitely be in deeper doo-doo after activating this pair.

In reply to G4OIG:

“Hmmm, maybe time to undertake the first activation of an OD summit. Their weather seems to be far more stable than ours.”

A good idea - IF they’ve cleared the minefields!

Brian G8ADD