Other SOTA sites: SOTAwatch | SOTA Home | Database | Video | Photos | Shop | Mapping | FAQs | Facebook | Contact SOTA

This is the story of an almost SOTA activation

I didn’t quite make it to Teutonia Peak (W6/CD-013) despite getting within 'spitting distance" but all was not lost as it was in the very beautiful Mojave Desert in the ever wonderful western USA and so it became a NPOTA activation. If interested in a few desert snaps and a short story read on at https://w6png.wordpress.com/2016/01/31/almost-teutonia-w6cd-013-and-definitely-mojave-national-preserve-pv13/

Hi Paul

I enjoyed the blog, thanks for posting. Time well spent despite the SOTA miss!

I like the National Park stamps, they remind me of Youth Hostel stamps collected the proper way (on foot) in my youth :smiley:

Are NP stamps just fun to collect, or are they linked to registering your presence in the park eg in case of emergency?
Academic, as I don’t think I’ll make it over there anytime soon, but just interested…

Adrian
G4AZS

Adrian

Thanks for reading the blog post and glad you enjoyed it.

The National Park stamps are purely a fun piece of memorabilia. From an emergency perspective in some areas we are encouraged to provide details of trips we are about to take on a backcountry board and beyond that I think its down to the hiker or friend/family member to ring the alarm bell if something is amiss.

Paul de W6PNG