The first Activation of Snowdon (1939)?

I don’t usually put up QSL cards, but this one has some history. I would be very interested to know what valves he used as this was obviously before developments in Radar (56 Mcs !). I would also be interested to know if anybody else has something recorded this old. I think this was when Nye GW2HFR was about my age 20-24 ish or maybe slightly younger.

I thought it would be worth sharing anyway !

Jonathan

8 Likes

You may not have seen this (modern in comparison) vintage 23cms pseudo-SOTA operation:

1 Like

That is impressive, Staggering to think what they achieved back then. Reading old RSGB and ARRL technical reference manuals once again I still can not figure out what sort of equipment could have been used for this; as a guess It must have been phone as well.

I have even more material from that period going back as far as 1932.

EDIT : I have just found a reference to the event P.G 182 http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Radio/40s/Radio-1940-01.pdf

Although not much mention of equipment. Right before the start of the second world war before everything stopped !

Jonathan

This QSL card shows field day on winter hill in 1955. Just in case anyone is interested.

2 Likes

My local group was founded on a sota summit. Fjerdingen (LA/TM-011).
This happend 18.August 1946, so very long before sota.

The founders were: LA3B, LA-M-942, LA9B, LA7P and LA-M-218.

de Aage

2 Likes

I vaguely remember reading something about this many years ago, in either SWM or PW, I think. I’m not positive but think I remember that they used a super-regenerative Rx.

Brian

Hi Gents,
Just for the record RADAR was being built and tested in 1939 in the UK and the Germans had RADAR with parabolic dishes. They had developed a range of 2.4 GHz triode transmitting tubes for such use. Copies of these tubes have been made and used by the Russians since 1945 and about 10 years ago found their way onto the amateur market for 144 - 1296 EME PA’s. Still a damn fine way to get lots of rf but a pity about the weight of power supply, blower fans etc.

In the 1930’s operation on 112 MHz and higher was achieved by removing the bases of some tubes to minimise lead inductance for VHF operation. Alternators and vibrator supplies were used for the field and summit operations. New tubes like the 6L6 (1936) gave 25 w + on 60 MHz, 6V6 (1937) 5 - 10 W on 60 MHz and the slightly later 807 gave 40+ watts respectively.

Super hets as well as super regen rx were used.

Ron
VK3AFW