The 1 Kilo HF challenge. A multiband activation pack below 1 kilogram

Hello,

welcome in and thanks Angel, Les, and Rick.

Yes Barry, thanks. These are all right now:
CW only: maximum weight = 1kg
SSB only: maximum weight = 2.5kg
Mixed CW & SSB: maximum weight = 2.5kg

As I said, in some days I’ll publish the definitive announcement of the Event on a separate Thread.
Just waiting for any other contribution here if it’s worth.

73 de Ignacio

Hi All - I like the idea a lot so count me in. I will activate a summit during those days. Need to start weighing my kit to see just how close to 1kg I would be then start reducing it. I typically use a KX1 with a linked dipole and a centre extending pole. Seems likely to be over 1kg but will find it way to get it down!

Thanks for the idea Ignacio.

Robin, G4GIY & 9H4RH

Would it not be easier to call SMOTA - SOTA Minimalist On the Air replacing the mini at the end.

CQ SOTA DE EA2BD/P SMOTA

Graeme

One idea:
What about including the weight and power info when sending the report?
Report is 59 MINI 42, which would mean I’m MINImalist using 4 watts and 2 Kg equipment.
The chasers would only send power i.e. 59 MINI 5 for 5 watts.
For CW 599 MINI 31 would mean I’m MINImalist using 3 watts and 1 Kg equipment.
Cheers,

Guru

Hi Guru,
I’m guessing that was a typo and what would be sent would be 59 MINI 42 ?

Ed.

Welcome onboard Robin, glad to count with 9H in!!

Hi Graeme, I think it could be confusing changing the name because perhaps people would think that is a different scheme instead of SOTA.
I would rather prefer to add the word MINI separated as we are in SOTA but running under a different condition…

Hi Guru, I already thought about that and I was not sure.
Perhaps the activator wants to shorten the exchange to run faster…
Could it be a bit confusing and mixed up with the report itself? 59 MINI 42… Which is what?

I think it’s best to add it as an extra info so that the activator or chaser decide if it is given or not?
What do you prefer, gents?
73 de Ignacio

Thanks Ed,
Yes it was a typo. Now corrected.
Cheers,

Guru

Really?
I thought a large proportion of SOTA operators were in this class. When I tried for VK on last year’s ANZAC week-end I managed it with 4 Watts out, and while Gerard VK2IO, was using 10W, Andrew VK3JBL thought he was using 5W, but then found it was 2.5W, and we all had good solid contacts, both ways I think.

Here it’s always 4W (or less), including from home. I’d be shocked to think that QRP was a novelty on the hills.

Les g0nmd

1 Like

I think this will bring some confusion on the air.
Maybe we should write it in the log and send it to someone or upload the log into the SOTA database.

Output power is different on the start of an activation and on the end of it. On a summit I don’t know what is my output power neither I want to carry a power meter…

BTW Guru: On our last QSO, I’m using a MTR-3B in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean (S. Miguel Island). The total weight is near a kilo…
So, it works! :slight_smile:

Vy 73 de Pedro, CT1DBS/CU3HF

Love your setup and choices. Would be great if you could dispense with the pole. Are most of your summits void of trees?

Hi Pedro,
You are right on this: output power may get reduced as the activation goes on and the battery empties.
I don’t have any means to measure my output power while activating other than the theoretical values 5, 2.5, 1, 0.5 output power level selected on my FT-817ND rig.
Congrats because your signal sounded nice with your 3watts the other day and I heard you working some DX from North America.
Best 73 de Guru

Hi John, glad this attracts you. I have never used a tree to activate before. In most of the summits I climbed so far there wasn’t any, and I always carry a 5m pole with me.
If you want to activate on a summit with trees that’s fine and you get rid of the pole so that you can take other gear in exchange…

73 de Ignacio

Like the look of your gear. I have a similar setup. The key component is the MTR radio.
I have activated summits with this equipment. Current Hardware;
KD1JV MTR v2
Pico Paddle
LNR EFT with 7m of RG174 Coax using a SotaBeams winder.
850mAh lipo
brings the hardware to around 500g.
Add to that a mini pole and notebook (170 + 230) to bring the total to 900 grams

https://vk3hra.wordpress.com/2015/10/12/sub-600g-sota-station/

still have to carry jacket, 2l water and first aid kit but the sub 1K radio station is a reality.

Allen
VK3ARH

Still tinkering with my gear currently .22kg over the limit for CW only, i will also be bringing a Handheld for 2m FM not included in the weight.
Setup at the moment- mtr with a linked dipole for 40/30/20 bands and a 4m telescopic pole.

Hope your plans are all going well.

Graeme

2 Likes

Managed to thin my equipment and drop a few pounds of my gear, listed the weight below along with the changes made. I was lucky with work sending me to GW/NW-062 Hope Mountain for a fault and it was a quick dash up to the summit for a test of my equipment prior to setting of for home.
I now have a spare linked dipole for 20/30/40 made with DX UL wire and has only a 1m length of rg174 with a female bnc connector free to good home if anyone would like it.

Total Weight 873g CW only

• 238g - Antenna system linked dipole for 17/20/30/40m bands, includes 3 pegs cut in half and thinner para cord, lighter wire and I used cable ties to join the links together. (used new nail clippers for a smooth cut on the cable ties)

• 141g - MTR with dc cable, made myself a 1 amp fused cable with powerpole connectors.

• 073g - Battery 750mAH rhino battery.

• 009g - Log book consists of 4 sheets of write in the rain and 2 pencils.

• 027g -Pico key and cable.

• 013g - Earphones.

• 372g - Antenna pole, I was using a 6m telescopic pocket pole that weighed over 500g but realised my 5m normal type was lighter with the end section removed

Not part of the weight that I have built from a highlander mess kit into storage box/flight deck weighs in at 191g.

1 Like

Fantástic!!!
Congrats
Ready to go
73 de Ignacio

For those who don’t have it written on their calendars the SOTA miniimum weight activation weekend starts a week from today. I’m getting closer but still overweight for the (SSB) set-up. If I could find a site where I don’t need the fishing pole mast, but can use something local for antenna support, I might just squeeze under the 1.5 kilos.

Ed.

Hello Ed,
I think you probably are already within the limits.
Don’t get confused: for a SSB station it is 2,5 kg:

CW only: maximum weight = 1 kilo (1 kilo = 2,2 pounds = 35,3 ounces)
SSB only: maximum weight = 2,5 kilo (2 kilo = 5,5 pounds = 88,25 ounces)
Mixed CW & SSB: maximum weight = 2,5 kilo

All details, scheduled activators and comments and results in the Event, here:

73 de Ignacio

Tested my kit on Tuesday on G/CE-001. All up weight was 901gms including the 5m travel pole.
I can shave quite a bit off that. I’ll use my titanium tent pegs, shorter guy lines, lighter and shorter feeder and shorter pencil with tiny notepad :slight_smile:

6 Likes

AH! OK - rechecking …
Tnx Ed.

UPDATE - 2.5 kilo exactly without the mast 3.1 KG with it. But nothing can go wrong - no tools no first aid kit, no warm gloves, no spare battery, no SOTA flag, no ground pegs for the antenna cords. I had to even take the FT-817 out of it’s leather case to get down to these values!

2.5Kilo kit is:
FT-817 with internal LIPO
SOTABeams 80-20m linked dipole with 80m section removed
Log book
Pens
Microphone
Small in ear earphones
Camera bag.