Testing images in posts

Hyperlinked:

File:

Mark G0VOF

4 Likes

Looking at all that kit, you are obviously a man that eats 3 Shredded Wheat a day… :wink:

2 Likes

Hi Gerald,

The second photo is G/SP-012 Easington Fell, so very little effort required, although I was carrying about 30Kgs of kit to carry out some Top Band tests so yes, my legs ached later.

Shredded wheat are fine, it’s the Sausage Sandwiches, & Butter instead of Marge that’s the problem, & the reason I gave my Mountain Bike a run on Friday. I haven’t ridden a bike without an engine for about 15 years so as you can imagine, actually having to pedal to make it move came as something of a shock to my legs!

There’s no point denying it, the easiest way for me to carry more weight up summits is to lose some from myself, otherwise, a few grammes less radio gear is just pointless :wink:

Nice to hear you chasing from home over the past couple of days, & thanks for the FB CW QSO on 30m from GM last week :smile:

Thanks & very best 73,

Mark G0VOF

1 Like

I’ve just realised that your photos are hyperlinked. I just goes to show that photos take precedence over text! I realised that linking worked when I picked up on the thread of operating in the rain that was initiated before the reflector change and hey presto, there was a photo of mine that I had given a Flickr link to - all sorted automatically! The only disadvantage of hyperlinking is when people remove the subject of the link. Inserting a photo is, presumably, permanent.

By the way, why weren’t you sheltering behind the wall up on Easington? Seems you must have hit a fine spell. At least Paul and I were served soup after our activation by Mick M0PVA… and a promise of mince and chips which we enjoyed on another occasion. :slight_smile:

73, Gerald G4OIG

1 Like

here’s an uploaded inline image - K7ATN and I were hiking on W7O/CN-008 and that’s Mt Hood across the valley
73, Barry N1EU

(uploaded image was 1349 X 899 so reflector is shrinking the images)

2 Likes

Testing an image inline
Ward Law GM/SS-119’s impressive cairn in less impressive fog.

Now I know where the idea of a cairn came from. The summits near Yunta I went to have the same type of stone cairns on them. Good old English design.
73 de Ian vk5cz

1 Like

In fact, Ian, I think the design it’s a bit older…
:wink:

1 Like

And Ward Law is actually a Scottish summit…

I think the biggest cairn I’ve encountered on a SOTA is on Tinto, also Scottish.

Got to give the Scots credit where it’s due.

Sorry to the Scotts I don’t know who was the first to make cairns, I think a pyramid on the summit may be good thing in vk5 it could make them higher and worth more points per effort to get to them . vk5 was settled by lots of Scottish folk and a lot of the pioneers have Scottish names who were mostly free settlers no convicts like some other states in the colonies .
we say school not sk uuul and plant not pl aant our cars get dents not dints and so on. Blessed be the mystery cairn builders from way back when.
73 de Ian …

2 Likes

1 Like

I dont know why this thread has reappeared so Ill continue the ot
Mt Macedon has an 8 m high cairn. Built in the 1860s to replace an earliet small one. It is visible ftom space.

Probably built by a scot.

Ron
VK3AFW

1 Like

Yes wondered myself after 1258 days. But who’s carin’. :wink:

There are a few really good cairns around, for those that haven’t seen the one on top of Tinto it is nearly the size of a pyramid.

Not sure if cairns are the Scots responsibility but the word may be, Scottish Gaelic CĂ rn means simply humped hill.

The thread has come back because Paul G4MD was trying to figure out why his pictures were rotated. Quite a few people have had the same problem recently so that leads me to think that a common photo tool will be the culprit for unexpected (or lack of expected) rotations.

Cameras and phones have had accelerometers in them for years and years and these are used by the software to know which way you held the device when you took a photo. The orientation gets tagged in the EXIF data appended on the JPG. It contains things like focus mode, exposure mode, aperture, flash, ISO, lat&long etc. A lot of older software ignores this EXIF data, such as Windows photo viewer in Win7 for example. That means if you take a photo with the device rotated then when viewed in Win7 photo viewer, the image will be rotated.

Clever software may well prompt you the image is rotated and would you like it fixing. If you say yes, it is rewritten the correct way and the EXIF rotate data is removed. I use GIMP (Gnome image manipulation program) and it prompts before fixing the image. (I use GIMP because I get the same UI on Win7, Win10, Linux, it’s free and does what I need for touching photos, other programs are available). I’m guessing there is a program that seeing a rotated image auot rotates it for display only. Then when you view your images they will all be correctly orientated. If you paste one of these rotated-on-display only pictures to here, it will appear twisted.

Or it could be a bug in something, the image is being correctly rotated and the EXIF still says “rotate this”.

Whatever the cause, some people have a lot less hair having tried to figure out why images are rotated or not and ripped it out in frustration. Hence this practice area thread for people to practice getting it right. And when they have it sorted you can guarantee some clever programmer will do an update and break the process for everyone :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sometimes it’s as if the camera’s saying “I was orientated this way when the photo was taken, so I’ve written it straight, but I just thought you’d like to know I was twisted when it was taken.” Photos my brother-in-law sends by email from his iPhone seem particularly prone to this…

Yes indeed… eventually did it by the very unscientific way of e-mailing the pic to myself and making sure it came out right, when transferred to the reflector voila problem sorted! (Might just have been luck…)

Thanks to Simon G4TJC for expunging my emabarrassment :slight_smile:

Not played much with photomanipulation despite the fact my brother does it professionally… will have to delve one day when other issues are less pressing.

That’s true enough but not entirely due to the reflector!

73 de Paul G4MD

Well that’s obvious… he’s holding it wrong.

1 Like

Testing drag and drop in Edge

Works!

Edge? How could you… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Edge, hmmmm… Well I’m testing for a user who is having issues. But I must admit to using Edge for 2 sets of actions.

At work Firefox gets some magic routing that escapes some restrictions so Edge is used for company webpages inside the work network.

At home Firefox is well locked down with script blockers and advert blockers that some websites are challenging when you want to buy stuff. The popular sites have rules set up so they work for me. But some (Easyjet, Hotels.com) go to great lengths to stop you using blocking technology and in desperation I’ve used Edge. Also we use Azure (Microsoft Cloud) for SOTA and the Azure desktop is designed to work best with Edge, so I use it there.

I had real issues with a cheap Virtual Mobile provide 1pmobile.com ( you can guess how much everything costs). Their site will not work with Firefox so I have Brave on the Linux laptop as well as Firefox. I was away from home when I needed to setup an account for someone and you can’t run Edge on Linux (well not yet!) 1pmobile is actually a good MVNO in the UK. They did have a deal running which gave you unlimited calls (UK, not special numbers) and unlimited texts along with 250MB data/month for £36 for the year. Piggy backs onto EE so coverage is good. If you talk/text and don’t do data it’s a bargain, website excepted!

I could just relent and let people track me and show me adverts but it’s become a matter of pride to block the buggers now. And why should I pay to download adverts for stuff I’m not interested in?

1 Like