Sunday: First Activation of OE/VB-234, Westliche Plattnitzerjochspitze, 10 Points

Dear all:
Tomorrow, I will try activate one previously not activated alpine 10-pointer in OE/VB. The exact summit is yet to be decided, will post details here later. All candidates require some real climbing (6-10 pitches), so we will need some time to get there. I think I will be QRV around 10:30 UTC. CW-only, but likely enough time for 40-30-20m.

73 de Martin, DK3IT

4 Likes

Good luck Martin, will hopefully be in a position to chase at some point tomorrow.

73 Mark M0NOM

Dear all,
ok, here are the details:

1. The summit will be Westliche Plattnitzerjochspitze, OE/VB-234
  2. It is a ten-pointer, so far not activated.
  3. Callsign will be OE/DK3IT/P
  4. Frequencies 7.031 or 7.002 ±, 10.118 ±, 14.060 ±, CW only.
  5. Please QRS 12 wpm.
  6. Please spot me when you hear me.
  7. I plan to be QRC around 11.00 UTC, but it can be -2 + 3 hrs or so, depending on how well our rope-handling will be.
  8. We will be doing the East Ridge (UIAA III, one pitch IV-).

Thanks for chasing!

73 de Martin, DK3IT

Thanks!

Hi all,
I am back safe and sound; the activation was a success, including a DX to NA with @KA1R. I also almost managed a second DX QSO with @N4EX but did not hear his report for me, despite both of us trying hard. Next time.

The climb was a bit more challenging than assumed, because some of the UIAA III sections are facing northwards and were pretty slippery due to moisture and soil. But we made it.

Note that the SOTA summit is the Western one (SOTA Summits), while the Ostgrat (East Ridge) climbing ridge leads to the Eastern summit (formerly OE/VB-236, not longer a SOTA summit), so you have to traverse there before activating - we knew and planned for this.

73 de Martin, DK3IT

1 Like

In lieu of a full activation report (sorry, no time), a few bullet points and pictures.

Thanks to all chasers!

73 de Martin, DK3IT

IMG_5237

This is the traverse from the East Summit, where the climbing routes end, and the West Summit, which is the SOTA summit:

8 Likes