Summit to summit statistics

I’m one of the people to have received one of the new S2S awards run over at the “other” website :slight_smile: What suprises me is how often I’ve had a contact with another activator when on a summit. Out of 98 activations todate I’ve had 77 S2S contacts but I certainly don’t recall so many S2S contacts/ Mostly it’s just one S2S per activation though I have had a few with 2 or more. So 78% of activations feature a S2S contact which strikes me as much higher than I remember. I’m surprised by how high that figure is and wonder if my figure is higher or lower than average.

I wonder what our resident database number cruncher (Tom) reckons. Is this figure typical?

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to DL4MFM:

Hi Mario,
with these days growing pile-up´s on 40m
it´s difficult to work s2s with qrp.
Without qsp of a chaser I usualy lose to much
time working them.
So I prefer it to stay on “my” qrg working the pile-up
and contact as many chasers as possible.

Vy73 cu from the summits!
Fritz HB9CSA,DL4FDM

In reply to MM0FMF:
looks about right Andy - I was surprised when I found I had 113 qualifying StoS contacts from 122 activations (93%).

Roger G4OWG

Sorry Andy, I can’t extract this data from the database. Many DB users don’t include this information in their entries.

I would point out that one cannot meaningfully express one’s number of S2S as a percentage of one’s activations in this way. Unless one was expressing the number of activations that contained (at least) one S2S as a percentage of all activations. However, I think people are just doing their total number of S2S logs as a percentage of their number of activations, a bit meaningless as this is comparing two different units and the total number of S2S will include activations where more than one S2S contact has occurred.

FWIW, I have had 378 S2S contacts in my 630 activations, but the percentage of my activations that have included a S2S is fractionally over 28% (178 of 630 activations).

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

I would point out that one cannot meaningfully express one’s number
of S2S as a percentage of one’s activations in this way.

Yes, I realised that later as it assumes a whole host of things which may not be correct. Still I was pleasantly surprised at how many S2S contacts I’d had. I suppose that as primarily a 60m operator for SOTA, all those S2S contacts tells us how frequent multiple concurrent 60m SOTA activations occur.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

I suppose that as primarily a 60m operator for SOTA,
all those S2S contacts tells us how frequent multiple concurrent 60m
SOTA activations occur.

I was just about to add that this is band and mode dependant. S2S contacts are comparatively few and far between on 2m SSB, no doubt down to the low number of activators interested in the band / mode combination. One point of note is that chasers often alert me to the fact that someone is QRV concurrent with my activation, but on 2m FM. I have bagged quite a few S2S that way.

73, Gerald