Summit Closed!

On arriving at the Great Orme this morning, I was met by a barrier across the road, manned by a load of people in tabbards. I was informed it was the Wales Rally GB and that if I wished to go onto the Great Orme, it would cost me £20 and a further £5 to park the car!

http://www.walesrallygb.com/great_orme_stage.php

I declined and abandoned the activation.

My guess would be that “summit closed” is a first for SOTA and therefore, deserves at least 10 bonus points :wink:

Mike 2E0YYY

Apparently four public footpaths are indeed closed, and the proper public announcements of these were posted in the local newspapers. However, as I understand it, some footpaths from the town side are not subject to these closures, so it should still have been possible to access the activation zone and avoid a wasted journey.

Maybe someone more local could confirm?

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Apparently four public footpaths are indeed closed, and the proper
public announcements of these were posted in the local newspapers.
However, as I understand it, some footpaths from the town side are not
subject to these closures, so it should still have been possible to
access the activation zone and avoid a wasted journey.

I considered this Tom, but thought that there may be crowds on the summit possibly making it very difficult in the antenna department. The primary reason for my visit to Llandudno, was a meeting this morning, so the journey was far from wasted. However, the rally was a bit of an inconvenience from a SOTA POV.

Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

NW-040 is just along the road a bit Mike. It’s got a great VHF take off by all reports.

As for summits being closed, that happens all the time up here with stalking and shooting etc.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to M1EYP:
Walk? Don’t be daft Tom…if Mickey can’t drive to the summit, he is not interested :slight_smile:

In reply to G1STQ:

In reply to M1EYP:
Walk? Don’t be daft Tom…if Mickey can’t drive to the summit, he
is not interested :slight_smile:

Oi, perhaps you should get yourself along to the club tonigh, where I can give you a radio refresher course :wink:

Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to MM0FMF:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

NW-040 is just along the road a bit Mike. It’s got a great VHF take
off by all reports.

I’m saving that for a joint activation with G1STQ and the winter bonus points :wink:

Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Unfortunately I’m off “up Boslum” for a beer or 12 and a nice hot Ruby.
I’ll look forward to your radio refresher course another night Mickey. In the mean time I’ll try and do some homework. …
Now where did I put my book about CB Radio?

In reply to MM0FMF:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

NW-040 is just along the road a bit Mike. It’s got a great VHF take
off by all reports.

I’m saving that for a joint activation with G1STQ and the winter bonus points :wink:

Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to M1EYP:
The path up through Haulfre gardens should have been OK, or the zig zag path (technical description) along side. That is the route I use to take when I lived at the bottom of GO.

I didn’t see much advertising about the car rally in advance to be honest. But Llandudno was very busy.

Roger MW0IDX

In reply to G1STQ:

“Now where did I put my book about CB Radio?”

CB? Would that be Cyrn y Brain?

Brian G8ADD

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Hi Mike

You could have gone on to Pen y Pass and done GW/NW-001 that would only have cost you a tenner - hi hi!

Nick G4OOE