Suggestions for a practical small area 80m antenna for SOTA portable use

Extra component, although I do have a lightweight QRP ATU (not sure if it’s Z-match like, will have to check the digram) as well - when I can find it. I think I need to take a week out and tidy up and organise my workshop!

Good idea on the twin lead Andy. In the meantime I have found another Balun, that might do, but I like the idea of having it at ground level, as you suggest.

Re Offset feeding Peter, I am still talking about a shortened with loading coils, 80m dipole. If I offset fed that, I’m not sure how it would work out - perhaps I could find a point where it is 50 ohms (rather than the current 24 ohms) and then not need a balun at all!

End fed has already been discussed and the radial/counterpoise requirement is an issue (for my target solution). My very first UK activation (G/TW-004) a couple of years ago was the same as you describe Peter, the wire laid across the top of the grass and into a hedge in one direction and the counterpoise along the top of the grass in the other direction. That was on 40m and that took up a lot of space. Everything is relative - unfortuantely each summit can have it’s own challenges, not only with available space but also there may be nothing to support the antenna.

As before losts to think about and to try…

Ed.

I know this is kindof late, but I did a writeup on mine:

Hi Zach,
You could say, what I have ended up with is a commercial version of what you describe in this article. A loaded vertical with an extra coil for 80m.

I’m particularly happy with this as no separate ATU is needed while the slider on the main coil is effectively the matching of the antenna and, as it adds or removes length to the actual antenna, it actually is an ATU that does tune the antenna (most ATUs are really matching units as they don’t change the physical length of the antenna).

This commercial offering is the Komunica Power HF-PRO-2-PLUS-T vertical antenna which I have had either in use or on the analyser for all amateur bands between 80m and 2m. I mount it on a home made modified photo tripod with 8 x 3m radial wires (Komunica also sell a matching tripod and radials kit now).
“Komunica Power” is a small European radio accessories supplier based in Spain who started out supporting the commercial communications market but have branched in amateur radio about 4 years ago. They import most of their accessories items from the same Chinese manufacturers as most other companies do but they do have a small design team who design or modify items based on customer suggestions. This antenna/tripod combination was one of those.

Here’s my article on the antenna:

Komunica HF-PRO-2-PLUS-T HF portable vertical antenna. | DD5LP / G8GLM / VK2JI blog

73 Ed.

2 Likes

Hi Ed,

I saw no mention of radials for this whip.

A rough rule of thumb that is relevant.

Efficiency = ant length* 100/free space resonant length

A 2 m whip cf a quarter wave on 80 m is therefore 2*100/20 = 10%.

Actual practice suggests the efficiency will be less than this by a factor of 2 to 4.

It’s still useful, but makes QRP operation “interesting”.

Ron
Vk3AFW

Hi Ron,
Third paragraph:

" I mount it on a home made modified photo tripod with 8 x 3m radial wires (Komunica also sell a matching tripod and radials kit now)."

Or did you mean that Zach’s article didn’t mention radials?

Radials are needed. Having forgotten to attach them on two activations and wondering why I wasn’t getting very good reports - I have practical experience of the HF-PRO2 antenna with and without the radials HI.

The practical benefits of having a quickly assembled and taken down antenna often outweigh the advantage of putting up a squidy and dipole. The dipole will normally work better than the loaded vertical. The possible exception is when very low angle radiation is needed, where the vertical can win out.

In the current weather with a couple of foot of snow on the summits, having a lightweight, quickly set-up antenna solution is very welcome. even if it means I might only get half the contacts that I would if I put up one of my dipoles.

Hope you are keeping well.

73 Ed.

Sorry Ed,

I some how missed that.

Keeping reasonably well with the help of the medical and pharmacology industries, thanks. Hope you are exceedingly well.

Ron
VK3AFW

No worries Ron, but what you raised about radials being important is VERY important. A vertical antenna without an earth (radial) system is only half an antenna and doesn’t work very well.

Keeping OK here although the COVID numbers are not going down fast enough and the government seem to have stuffed up on ordering enough vaccine for everyone, so this is going to be a long battle.

73 Ed.

1 Like