Storm Frank

Just one reason for us not going out today. Neither of us fancied a 2 to 3 hour walk in the rain and wind to find ourselves limited to a handheld on Nutberry Hill GM/SS-156, that is if we had been able to make the ascent.

It was hairy enough getting home - https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/scotland/scotland-traffic/791974/incredible-picture-shows-flooding-roads-network/ The wash from the lorries being allowed along the northbound carriage way of the M74 buffeted the car as we drove in single file along the inside lane of the southbound carriageway. Looks like they closed the motorway a while after we passed this point and reopened it about 3 p.m… pleased that we decided to get out at first light and not opt for a lie in. The A70 between Ayr and the motorway was flooded on some sections and we were sailing on several occasions. Thank goodness the Quattro drives in a straight line on water…

Nutberry, stand by… we will come and deal with you later.

73, Gerald G4OIG

I can imagine. After I got in from my activation, we drove up to Blackpool to see a show. It was a physical battle with my steering wheel at times to keep the Picasso in a straight line such was the buffeting crosswind. Then I had to contend with being cut-up something rotten by an Audi that just hadn’t seen me. Either my reactions, or the Picasso’s handling, or a bit of both, saved us.

The return drive couldn’t have been more different. Serene, calm and pleasant. Fingers crossed, we’ve seen the back of Frank. Jimmy and I are now eyeing up a window in the weather around New Year’s Eve lunchtime to activate Shining Tor G/SP-004, our most local SOTA summit. Remarkably, Jimmy hasn’t activated it yet in 2015…

The flight to Belfast city airport on Tuesday night was an experience that I don’t wish to repeat, I was surprised the flight was not cancelled as every other domestic flight was or either diverted to to Dublin.
Hopefully the weather will be fine for the return as I will be planning an activation for Sunday.

Happy New Year

Well miffed here - very little breeze and wall to wall sunshine here this morning! To add insult to injury, the XYL asked why we hadn’t considered staying up in Ayrshire another night…

Yes, nice morning for an activation - so we did one!

I was tempted to nip out myself today & even swapped the 500Hz filter from my FT897 to my FT817 last night.

I changed my mind this morning as Longridge Fell (my intended summit) will be a boggy mess in places after all this rain.

Nice to catch you on 10m earlier Tom, I did listen on 29MHz FM & 50MHz but if you did go there I must have missed you.

Thanks & Happy New Year!

Mark G0VOF