Start of November HF band conditions and peoples current experiences with contacts

Yep - that looks very likely !!

Conditions don’t seem that bad now with several activators out and audible.

73 Ed.

Hi Ed,
Pleased to hear you had a good day.
Four chases today for me and all on 40M band. 20M and up was flat.
Rotator swap tomorrow, if the high winds/rain is less.
Night night.
Mike

Ed,

there are a few good websites you will find by searching “contest calendar”. I use one of those to look at the many contests that run every weekend and some on weekdays. I can’t recall which one does it, but at least one offers a brief summary of rules includingthe contest exchange so it is usually possible to identify the contest based on the countries participating, the exchange and the day and time.

Andrew VK1DA

Impacted a few in a moderate way.

Compton

Direst day’s SOTA of my whole career yesterday. An aggregate of 1.5 hours’ CQing on 60, 80 and 40 brought not a single contact. And the wind shredded my antenna on Mynydd Nodol. Plus a pile of wet kit to dry out on return home :((

Thanks to Gerald’s assistance eventually qualified NW-048 on 2m and 70cm, but after the best part of an hour in gales and rain that stung your face on NW-039 despite Gerald’s kind offer couldn’t be bothered and for the first time failed to qualify a summit.

Hope conditions improve for the Christmas GM expedition :-s

73 de Paul (GW6GGP/P this time)

Hi Paul,

I really feel for you, although I wasn’t around to chase you on the first summit I did put some effort into being around for G/NW-039. I had put my 144MHz yagi up in case VHF was called for but it seems you didn’t venture there anyway.

As for HF, well what can I say, the F2 critical frequency was absolutely flattened & barely reached 4MHz at any time yesterday. Before your alerted time I did some test transmissions & on 60m not even 100 Watts of CW was detectable on any of the local-ish UK based WebSDR’s. 80m worked, but the band was full of continental stations no doubt taking refuge from the poorer conditions higher up the spectrum.

I did not hold out much hope for your 5 Watts of SSB!

When your 60m spot appeared I listened using both my gear & a WebSDR & heard not even a squeak.
As I couldn’t hear you, or anyone working you on 60m, I dropped to 3.666 in case you were going to try there. That frequency was i use so I swept 25KHz or so up / down from there to see if I could hear you.

As is obvious from your report I didn’t hear you & apparantly nobody else did either :frowning:

I also monitored 7.118 +/- on the off-chance of hearing chasers working you but alas, I found nothing. In total I spent around the same time you spent calling, trying to find you. As you know, when I’m in the shack I’m usually pretty quick at finding you, but yesterday was not one of those days!

I had already listened for Gerald on 432MHz using my 144MHz Yagi, but hadn’t pulled anything out of the noise, but I kept beaming in your direction in case you needed to resort to 144MHz to qualify the summit.

As it happened you didn’t call there, although I’m sure I heard another chaser besides myself chancing a prospective call.

Ah well, at least you have an excuse to re-visit NW-039, hopefully when the sky is not broken, which it certainly seemed to be yesterday!

Thanks for trying & very best 73,

Mark G0VOF

1 Like

Hi Mark,

Many thanks for listening out for me, I know there were a few of you looking for me but it was just one of those days :-s I’d got my new smartphone with me too, not enough data signal for internet access and no template in yet for SMS spots so couldn’t even let people know where to listen :frowning: Did hear a couple of G stations on 5.4035 from Mynydd Nodol, but on 80 and 40 I only heard continentals and got no responses to my calls at all (probably because the ones I could hear were severely QRO…) Just as I was about to try 20m an extended squall ripped the legs off my doublet and with that I gave up :frowning: Very kindly Gerald facilitated my qualifying the summit with his 2m set-up, nobly braving the elements to keep the beam more or less pointing in the right direction.

Having been told by Don 'RQL that 60m was producing some contacts, and having at least heard a G station on there I concentrated on this band from Foel Goch, and did manage to get a spot up but all to no avail. The weather was horrendous and shelter non-existent, so though Gerald did offer to give 2m a go again, discretion was the better part this time and we packed up and got off the hill in short order. So apologies again Mark and many thanks for putting up your antenna in anticipation, but I think even if I’d known you were monitoring 2m I’d have done the same. Don’t often wimp out but on this occasion I was happy to do so :-s

So here’s hoping for better conditions next time out and looking forward to working you!

73 de Paul G4MD

Changed the title to better reflect what this thread is covering.

Ed.

1 Like

Ooops! Thanks Ed and apologies for the hijack :-s

73 de Paul G4MD

Another flare this afternoon:

http://www.sws.bom.gov.au/HF_Systems/6/2/2

For those who don’t want to click the link

No worries Paul - all interesting stuff.

Hi Ed,

Subject to the rain holding off, I’m happy to nip out early and see what conditions are like on the higher HF frequencies this week. All credit to the VK chasers, last week, I managed to work 10 VK’s on an activation of G/SP-013 Gun during difficult HF conditions, three of them on10 Metres.

Little chance of that happening right now, I fear :frowning:

Better charge the headtorch and dig the boots out.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

Its been bit of a roller coaster so far this month
But there still calling CQ and we keep an answering them :smile:

Karl

I have just come off 15m, where I worked two W0, four W4, two W5, one W8, VE3, PY and LU - all between 1500 and 1630 UTC Monday - so no adverse effects from the flare here.

Walt (G3NYY)

According to the ALF map I posted, it looked like 10MHz and up was not affected for UK latitudes.