SP FUn Day - Ready to go

Hi Everyone

As SP fun day is now just 3 days away I have decided to publish the times and frequencies.
They can be found at http://www.m0zzo.com/SOTA/SP_FUN_DAY_2007.xls

The event kicks of at 12:00 Local, Sked times are all in UTC. There are still 4 hills needing activators so please volunteer if you can.
The sheets are fairly self explanatory but do remember to print out the one for your summit and take it with you.

To make life easier it would be best if the lower numbered summit for each QSO called CQ, followed by the sp fun day and the summit reference they are calling for. So at 11:30 UTC I will be on SP-008 and calling something like CQ SOP Funday. This is M0ZZO calling SP-009 and standing by.

This is of course just a suggestion and any variation will do.
If you miss a station during the allocated times can you QSY to 145.3125 at 11:50 UTC and we will try and pick up any lost contacts.

Last years the chasers stood by while this went on and let the event flow really well. I would ask that they do so again this year and in return as many activators remain on the summit for a while afterwards to give the chasers a chance to pick up some points. Extra band- modes would also be welcome for chasers who are a bit more distant.

I hope I all the information is correct, as I will have no access to make changes or respond to emails after midnight tonight. If there are any problems lets hope they are small.

73 and have a great day.

James M0ZZO

PS several activators will be meeting in the Lower Buck at Waddington after the event. So if its not too far why not drop in for a drink. I suggest 4:00 pm will give people time to work some chasers and make their way there.

In reply to M0ZZO:

“Last years the chasers stood by while this went on and let the event flow really well. I would ask that they do so again this year and in return as many activators remain on the summit for a while afterwards to give the chasers a chance to pick up some points.”

Being relatively new to sota, I wasn’t around for previous events.
By the above statement, would I be correct in saying that as chasers, you would prefer us NOT to chase the activators paticipating in the funday ?
Seems a bit strange.

Anyway, Let’s hope the weather holds and that you all have a great day.

73 Mike

In reply to GW0DSP:

would I be correct in saying that as chasers,
you would prefer us NOT to chase the activators paticipating in the
funday ?

NO, this is not the case, but at some point, each activator will try to contact the other activators. Timings can be pretty tight and so the request is polite one to ask chasers to refrain from calling in at this time. Before and after this, all chasers are welcome.

As per last year, I intend to be on summit (conditions allowing) for several hours and thus will give chasers plenty of opportunity to grab the points.

Ian
G7ADF

In reply to GW0DSP:

No Mike. I understand there will be an attempt, like last year, for every participating summit to contact every other participating summit. By using a schedule, it is possible to achieve this in around 40 minutes. Like last year, I understand participating stations will stick around after the attempt to work all chasers.

I am not participating this year, but did so last year. My own operating was as follows:

1106 - 1159: SP Fun Day S2S contacts - 23 contacts in 53 minutes
1159 - 1233: Working chasers - 13 contacts in 34 minutes

Most if not all SPFD stations stayed on for this amount of time, some considerably longer. Most SPFD stations were active chasers themselves too, so it could be argued that all contacts were with chasers!

In reply to M1EYP:

Hi Tom, thanks for that info, sounds like fun was had by all.
I wasn’t sure how it works and was worried about “stepping on toes”.
Let’s hope the weather holds for them, it should make some interesting listening.

Mike

Hi. Personally I would say that Mike’s interpretation of the SP fun day is close to the mark. From what I recall last year chasers were of secondary importance to the activators. This is understandable if every summit is going to complete an S2S with every SP summit. From my qth vhf is not viable for SP anyway but it seems a shame that the event does leave chasers feeling a little out.
Having said that I have the utmost admiration for the organisation and hard work of James M0ZZO in getting this organized. At least the participating activators get to increase their chasing scores!
I notice that James has encouraged the use of other bands to give the chasing community further a field a shot. That would be good.
However I am always of the opinion that activators should do what they want when they want. If I am fortunate enough to chase someone I am grateful. I’ll be listening tomorrow, but more in hope than expectation, just like last year.
Now if someone wants to arrange an GW/MW Funday…
Otherwise have fun on the hills and stay safe.
Hope to catch some of you tommorrow
Cheers
Q