Sotawatch spot missing

I determine with amazement, the spot is missing after the activity of a SOTA DM of summit. I send spot 13:15UTc, it is no GMA summit, since is itself on 7.160khz in ssb qrv - 3 stations I has qso with F4CTY, HB9AGH and G6MZX. no stations further. At home I look. my spot is missing??? On the Handy I saw the spot!
That is not good if one is on the way and rains it.

73 Matthias DL1JMS

In reply to DL1JMS:

I saw the spot too Matthias, but I was beginning to think that I had imagined it. Obviously not, very curious.

Mike G4BLH

In reply to DL1JMS:

Hello Matthias

I was told that you had been spotted, but when I looked there was no spot. It looks like someone in the MT has cost you the points, I hope that they are man enough to own up to this and for once, offer an apology!

vy 73
Mike GW0DSP

In reply to DL1JMS:
Hi Mathias.Yes the spot was there and I certainly worked you.I also could not understand when it dissapeared.What summit reference was it. All the best Geoff G6MZX.

In reply to G6MZX:
Hello the summit is DM/SA-047 Hoppelberg a summit from 8 DM/SA summits.

73 Matthias

I too saw the spots for you Matthias. There were three identical duplicate spots, a situation that sometimes occurs when I self-spot on my mobile. I was going to remove two of them for you.

I deleted one of the spots, and there were two left. But before I could delete one of the other duplicates, they then disappeared on the next page refresh. I do not know what happened to those.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Mathias

On behalf of your fellow participants, most of us sympathise with you for this wrong doing. You should not have to bear the burden of time, effot and costs, to be denied the summit qualification because of such a bad mistake by an over zealous moderator.

We, your fellow participants (well most of us) are sorry for your treatment.

vy 73
Mike GW0DSP

In reply to DL1JMS:
Hi Matthias.Thanks for that .You told me the summit but I had written everything down except the summit reference when I looked at the screen it had gone and I could not remember the full summit ref.ATB Geoff G6MZX

In reply to DL1JMS:
Hi Matthias

I just got back in from my own activation and saw your post. I also saw your 3 duplicate self spots too just before I left.

I removed 2 duplicates but left a good one. It appears that Tom may have deleted one at exactly the same time hence that would have happened without either of us knowing. I did not realise as I left for my activation right after.

This was a genuine error caused by trying to help out but I hold my hands up as being part of it and sincerely apologise. The one good spot should have remained.

73 Marc G0AZS

In reply to G0AZS:

Thank you for your full explanation and apology to Matthias, Marc.

It’s a pity that the spots were not checked afterwards and one of the spots reinstated. At least we now know how it happened. Maybe it’s worth putting a system in place to prevent this unfortunate incident from reoccuring? IE, in the event of duplicate spots, maybe only delete from the earliest spot upwards.

Mike GW0DSP

Thank you for your suggestion Mike, which sounds a sensible working practice, although I’m sure such a bizarre coincidence would be unlikely to happen again anyway.

Bearing in mind Marc’s explanation, perhaps you would consider reviewing your earlier post above?

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

My post of 17:18 should suffice and cover my earlier posts which were correct in their content.

Mike

In reply to GW0DSP:
Hello friends,

thank you for the information. I actually turn off my Handy after the spot completely. The connection had noticed however today lasted. I pressed again then sends. Sorry.
Best 73 Matthias DL1JMS

In reply to GW0DSP:

You dont speak for me.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Neither does he speak for me.

Richard
G3CWI

Fair comment Andy, I have become accustomed to expect something like that from you, although I must say that I’m surprised that you, as an activator, don’t sympathise with Matthias not being able to qualify a summit due to his spots being deleted. Fingers crossed it doesn’t happen to you

Matthias, I speak for myself only in my posts above, please forgive me for being presumptious and thinking that others would feel the same way. If anyone else does sympathise with your plight, I hope they will say so in this thread.

Mike
GW0DSP

In reply to G3CWI:

No comment

In reply to DL1JMS:
Hi Matthias

Thank you for your understanding and you have nothing to apologise for. These multiple spots are common with mobile phones and poor signal coverage…

Please accept that I acted with good intentions but a very unfortunate coincidence caused the problem.

73 Marc G0AZS

Personally I do NOT see why there is any need to remove duplicate spots. Having duplicates is better than having none !

If there really is valid reason for removing duplicates then perhaps they should be filtered automatically by the database software.

Stewart
G0LGS

In reply to M1EYP:

I’m sure such a bizarre coincidence would be
unlikely to happen again anyway.

On the contrary I think it is very likely if there is no change in protocol. There is a significant latency between changes to the spot database and their actual appearance, and significant skew in that latency as seen by different moderators. The window of opportunity for this kind of error is really quite wide.

Sometimes if I enter a spot and then find somebody else has already done it, I remove my own. But I’ve often worried that the other person might think the same way! Normally I will only remove my own if it is later than the other.

Exact duplicates of the kind you get with dodgy mobile phone connections could be filtered in software very easily, and I think should be.