SotaWatch Feed to Telegram Messenger

Yes that’s the point, people misread the title and wonder about the picture and fail to reconcile what is going on.

It’s very nice and working well but late, in my case spots arrives more or less 10 minutes after i seen them on sotawatch. it can be a problem. Maybe it’s only a personal delay(!?)
Tks Andrew!

It’s how often the script polls the RSS feed of SotaWatch. You don’t want it pounding on the Feed for updates.
The script is from the Bot developers and I have no control over it. I just pointed the bot to the RSS feed and created a channel for the Bot to live. :slight_smile:

Andrew

Hi Carlos,
For my interest - which model of smart watch do you have please?

Ed.

An ASUS, optacord, 3mb ram, 32gb Androis 5.0.2
I’m talking abt delay on my telphone, i have not an smart watch.

zenfone zd551kl it’s seems to me a fast one…
carlos

Hi Carlos,
Aha, OK, the delay as has been said above depends upon how often the RSS feed is polled and in Telegram I don’t think we can change that time unfortunately.

73 Ed.

1 Like

Ok Ed thanks. you had made a great job!
73 carlos

Thanks but it was Andrew K1YMI who set the Bot up.

73 Ed.

RSS feed is polled and in Telegram I don’t think we can change that time unfortunately.

Exactly, There is a fixed interval that it checks the RSS feed, And I can’t change it. Also,I don’t want to pound on the RSS feed too much.
I am mulling over some ideas on making it more real time… or maybe changing it from a “broadcast” type channel to one where you could interact with the bot and other users in real-time.
I think Telegram has lots of potential for this… it’s just finding out what it can be used for.
I also want to have a go at rolling my own bot rather than using building blocks that are out of my control.
I am interested to see what the Sota API lends itself to when “spots” & “Alerts” are added to the API.

73, Andrew

Ed,
£5 watch received this week from Malaysia!
After further study online, I find this is a U8 Clone :smile:
It doesn’t have any altimeter function, I mean for five quid you’d expect the works :wink:

Anyway, after a bit of playing I’ve got it beeping, vibrating and displaying alerts as they come in on Telegram.
I also set it up for Twitter because I already subscribe to the SOTAwatch feed on there.
Both feeds work fine with alerts on the home screen.

Home screen wakes up, beeps and vibrates.

Alert message in BT Notifier (needs manual intervention)

Initially I had issues until I set up the correct notifications from within both Telegram and Twitter apps on my phone (Samsung Galaxy K).
In Telegram open the SOTAwatch feed.

On the tool bar pull down select “Info”
This opens this screen:

You now need to select Notifications and Sounds.

You now need to enable notifications:

Twitter seems much more “real time” the alerts coming in much sooner than Telegram.
I’ll play further with both enabled for the time being. On summits with poor or no network connectivity, enabling the Twitter feed on SMS might be the way to go. I’ll give that a go later too.

For £5 I think it was worth the punt!

1 Like

Hi Peter,
It’s great that with your U8 clone the bluetooth alerts come up on the home screen. On my watch, I can only see the messages by going through the menu system - which is simply not practical. I cancelled my Telegramm account today as it brings me nothing with my set-up. The SOTA Android apps do a better job than Telegramm on the phone - if I had the alerts appearing on the home screen of the U8 watch, that would possibly be different, but on my model of this “Smart Watch” they don’t.

73 Ed.