Sota watch 2 face book link

Morning folks :grinning:

Only just noticed the new links on top of page.
And a new one added on for Face book.

I see its one am already on, and a friendly bunch on there they is too for I am enjoying it. Unlike another Sota FB page, one would liked to have joined but got IGNORED TWICE. Never mind.

Sota Rules :smile:

Karl

1 Like

I suspect that I know which group you mean, Karl, but never mind because you are in good company - all the MT are banned from that one!

Brian

2 Likes

Me too. Anyone else banned?

Really, am not even MT.
Nice to know am not alone :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Yes, me too!
I did join because I was invited, but was later expelled because I dared to have a different view to that of the group owners (the systematic destruction of sota in itā€™s current form).
Itā€™s not what one would call a democratic group :hushed:
Iā€™ve been subscribing to BBs, newsgroups, forums etc. since the 80s and this is the only group Iā€™ve ever had any issues with. (moderation and banning) Go figure!
Why it even mentions SOTA in the title is mystery. Itā€™s entire purpose (they say design) is anti SOTA. they encourage ā€œhate Speechā€ against the MT or anyone that they think is associated with themā€¦
I was called all sorts of names and subjected to nothing short of slanderous remarksā€¦
I was even accused of being both a MT member and 3CWI.
Yes a fly in their ointmentā€¦
Itā€™s a shame the group exists with SOTA in the titleā€¦
As a source of info itā€™s bordering on the pathetic.
Only yesterday the response to a new UK user on how to SMS a spot, using an iPhone, was to use RRT (an Android app :disappointed:) or use the Hungarian SMS service. Obviously directing him here,where heā€™d get the right answer, was too much effortā€‹:frowning_with_open_mouth:
So if you want a FB group which consists of ad hom remarks, slander and a daily helping of pretty awful recordings from somewhere in SE England, then youā€™re missing a treat.
If not, the other group (with over 3000 members) is the right place to be!
YMMVā€¦

2 Likes

Accused of being G3CWI? At least things can now only get better Peteā€¦

1 Like

So if you want a FB group which consists of ad hom remarks, slander and a daily helping of pretty awful recordingsā€¦

To be fair, it does have a rather nice photo of the SB6 portable beam for 6m on there this morning.

Yes Saw that interesting design too and portable, be good for the 6m season now coming up

http://www.sotabeams.co.uk/portable-2-element-6m-beam/

check out there video

Karl

A minor point but the SMS spotter is run by and paid for by me and not SOTA. In addition a lot of valuable time and resources are given by Andrew K1YMI, Jeremy NH6Z and Allen VK3HRA.

Iā€™ve seen the FE group give advice in the past to avoid SOTA services, which is a bit sad really. But as they say ā€œhaters gotta hateā€

From the ā€œotherā€ facebook page :-

ā€œIf you have no data coverage but can still text, there is a facility run by mm0fmf where you text a server which then spots you. You have to contact him to ā€œregisterā€ to use the facility.ā€

One of three options in my reply. Is this not ā€œthe right answerā€ as you call it.

1 Like

Thanks for that useful info.
My mobile is only basic text and speech.
How do you registrar please
canā€™t handle these mod phones to technical for little old me .

Karl

Is that from an earlier thread, Steve, you appear to have no input to the May 3rd thread.

Brian

That is my reply to the 3rd May thread Brian. Click "view 5 more comments"
Off to Glossop now if my van will battle against the wind.

I see it now, Steve, thanks.

Brian

PS Drive carefully!

This chap explicitly asked for the Hungarian SMS service which I gave to him. I wish this unjustified ranting would stop!

Sylvia
OE5YYN

2 Likes

Well, my choice is an easy one. Because I am not a member of Facebook, and never will be. So I cannot subscribe to any Facebook-based group even if I wanted to.

As far as Iā€™m concerned, social networking sites are nothing but trouble.

Walt (G3NYY)

That reminds meā€¦ I never did ask Richard whether my SB5 was resonant on 5mā€¦ :wink:

As for Facebook, well neither group will attract my interest. Some of us have better things to do with our lives. Itā€™s hard enough keeping up with what is happening here!

Indeed Gerald. As a medium wave broadcast fan, I was astounded with the tx ranges of the SB270. Excellent VHF antenna thoughā€¦

I have opened the thread since your comment doesnā€™t quite conform to my memory. He actually asked initially how to use SMS on an iphone to self spot. Subsequently after asking how to contact Andy, he said ā€œI also see that some people use a Hungarian mobile number to self spot?ā€ You were, of course, correct to give him information about that.

Those of us that have been abused and pilloried on that site will have a wry smile for the thought that any ā€œrantā€ on this site can compare to the concentrated venom that is sometimes spat out on the other site, Sylvia. This is a shame because, in between the occasional ā€œhate the MTā€ sessions and the like, that site seems to do a good job. Perhaps it needs treatment for bipolar disorder! :smile:

Brian

But justified ranting is OK? :wink: