SOTA today

Good job with my MTR3B today !!!
HB/VD-044 Tour de Gourze 924 m.

All the best and 73"
HB9IIO
Dan

2 Likes

Yes, nice job Dan. RST 569 on 30m at 1233z.
73 Phil

3 Likes

Maybe, in the personal opinion of those who choose not to do it. I canā€™t think of any other objective measure where SSB is superior to CW.

Then again, in GI last week, there was more than one occasion when battling appalling HF conditions, when I couldnā€™t buy a QSO on 40m CW, yet 130kHz higher on 40m SSB I could get myself a pile-up. And last night I made 79 SSB contacts, one FM contact and no CW contacts at all (and yes I did try to make CW contacts, occasionally).

Generally speaking though, CW is significantly more efficient and effective than SSB. CW rules OK!

Phone modes are greatly superior to CW where you want to have any meaningful form of conversation rather than simply passing trivial information.

2 Likes

Objection your honour - I frequently ā€˜Rag Chewā€™ on CW.

1 Like

OK, will leave you to rag chew all night long on dit dah - a conversation that most of us could hold in 10 minutes by voice at most. :grin:

Aha, OK Tom if you are after efficiency and effectiveness, when are you taking to the digital modes? :smiling_imp:

Matt
VK1MA

Donā€™t feed the troll guys!

Digital modes Matt? Iā€™ve done rather a lot of SOTA activations on PSK31 and PSK63. Great fun, but slower than both SSB and CW for information exchange in my experience.

Mode Wars! I am fed up to the back teeth with mode wars. Which is best, CW, SSB, Digital? Pointless arguments proliferate throughout the ham radio web, time and time again on QRZ, eham, you name it!

Guys, it is NOT a matter of which mode is best - there is NO best - it is a matter of which mode gives you personally the most pleasure to use.

As moderator I am really tempted to lock down any thread where modal superiority is claimed - on any side! I shall put on my steel helmet with the spike on top, and don my asbestos underpants, and consign mode wars threads to richly deserved oblivion because that is just the sort of topic that makes people forget the AUP!

You have been warned!

Brian

1 Like

Dan said actually quite modest only: Hey guys, I am very satisfied about what I just could realize with this very simple, small, lightweight and low-power consuming beauty.
Dan said that as a gifted ham radio operator, enjoying also rag chewing in cw (preferably in French language) and impartially towards all operating modes.
:wink::wink::wink:

1 Like

As one who has a personal beef about this topic I am really tempted to lock down any thread where modal superiority is claimedā€¦

there - fixed it for you.[quote=ā€œG8ADD, post:9, topic:13336ā€]
You have been warned!
[/quote]

Warned not to engage in a topic which is of interest to many radio hams - just in case at some future point it MAY start to get heated.

We in this forum are certainly to be immensely grateful that somebody should be so concerned for our welfare that heā€™ll close down an active thread just in case we might overstep the bounds of what he considers to be acceptable. Thatā€™s actually happened before folks, so youā€™ve been warned.

1 Like

The three words which seem to have caused offence to some have now been removed from my reply to HB9IIO. I cannot remove the three pasted words on Mikeā€™s (2E0YYY) posting.

73 Phil

Hi Phil, I really doubt that people genuinely take offense at one person saying one mode is better than another or anything like that - you (and quite a few others) like CW, some of us prefer to use other modes. In the end we use what we like to use. By all means be proud of your CW abilities - I donā€™t believe that there is any need for you to retract your comment (but it may well draw a bite every so often :slight_smile:).

Matt
VK1MA

1 Like

Donā€™t take it so seriously, Rob, it was intended to be a jokey warning to people to stop short of flaming - I donā€™t wear the fancy helmet with the spike on top when things get serious!

As for closing down active threads, I am actually quite a bit more tolerant than some alternatives - Andy shuts down threads a lot quicker than I do! But whoever shuts threads down, and for whatever reason, Iā€™m the guy with the fancy helmet, I have been given rules to enforce and the buck stops here. Anybody wants to fulminate about that, Iā€™m sure Mike will gladly accommodate him on Facebook!

Brian

I sent a request to join this Facebook group back at the end of March and still to this day it says my request is pending. I have emailed all 4 the admins about this to query it every week and I have not had one response and I know quite a few others have managed to join this group since my request, so I donā€™t understand why they would accept requests from some people, but not others. I even asked Mike 2E0YYY about this in person at Norbreck Rally and he said he couldnā€™t answer as he is only one of the admins.

Jimmy M0HGY

You are not alone in this, Jimmy, it gives the impression that it was set up with the deliberate intention of excluding MT members, possibly as a retaliation for the founder being excluded from firstly the Reflector for violently intemperate posts, and secondly SOTA itself for refusing to answer allegations of irregularities. Despite this it seems in general to be a reasonable additional forum for SOTA matters, and if the inhabitants let off steam there, they arenā€™t doing it in our garden!:grinning:

Brian

I am completely aware of this Brian, but I still donā€™t understand why I wonā€™t be accepted as I am longer in the MT.

Jimmy M0HGY

I guess that he thinks that if he lets you in, your Dad will use you as a Trojan Horse.

Brian

Hello Jimmy,
Not sure which Facebook site you are referring to? If it was the FB SOTA (Free Expression) it took about 4-5 days for me to get accepted. If you sent a request in March (now June!!) it is too long. They did check out my ISP address etc. etc. but even soā€¦
Good luck with the application.
Cheers
Mike

1 Like

Surely another instalment of ā€œmode warsā€ is more acceptable than the newly introduced concept of Brianā€™s asbestos underpants?

Modes

To each there own. what ever there good at phone is good for me C/W frighten hell out of me yet there be others to whom prob other way around and good luck to them,.

As said to each there own

So many modes to operate is unbelievable.

End of day operate in mode your happy with
Again end of day who cares which is better just enjoy :sunglasses:

karl