SOTA Song

Sound familliar? Maybe Ivor came across an activator at some time - or was one himself :wink:

27 Likes

Wonderful stuff, the man was a genius. Is that real morse heā€™s singing? - I donā€™t have a clue myselfā€¦

Yes. Singing it ā€œstraight key styleā€ - ā€œHERE I AMā€.

Damn, the batteryā€™s gone!
:rofl:

Brilliant!

oh dearā€¦ it is funny thoughā€¦

well, better than the fellows on the tower with the unresolved melodies ending in the minor seventhā€¦ leaving you in suspenseā€¦

Surely thatā€™s a sus4 not a m7? Anyway in your context you must mean a dominant seventh, not a minor seventh.

I challenge anyone to surpass this level of pedantry today.

To be honest Tom, I donā€™t know what Iā€™m talking about. My father used to talk about such things and I never learned enough theory to know what it was about. It is a seventh though, Iā€™m pretty sure, whatever chord normally resolves into the major key of the signature. (edit: I am probably [edit: definitely] wrong.)

I assume you know the video clip Iā€™m referring to though. People standing at various points up a very tall tower, dressed in dinner suits or such, singing a song like ā€œwhy donā€™t you join us on the airwavesā€. Would be findable on youtube. But in my opinion, an awful tune.

There you go, is that pedantic enough?

Thanks for that Iā€™d never heard of Ivor Cutler but you spawned a most interesting trawl of YouTube :slight_smile:

I think you may have discovered the worldā€™s most unlikely earworm :-s

1 Like

Priceless! :clap::fu: ā€¦especially his last line ā€œdamn the battery is goneā€ ā€¦canā€™t tell you how many times Iā€™ve said those exact words with a cold bum and numb fingers! :joy:

73, Steve/wGOAT

5 Likes

There was a programme on BBC Radio 4 about Ivor Cutler a few months ago. Iā€™d heard his morse song but was driving at the time and couldnā€™t decode it. He was in the RAF and for a while at least was a radio operator.

John
G4YTJ

1 Like