SOTA - QSL'ing

In reply to GW7AAV:

…and referring to 'OTAs I’m still looking for a castle on a mountain
on an island with a lighthouse to activate during Jamboree on the air.
CQ CASHOTA SOTA IOTA LOTA and JOTA… Imagine how long it would take
to give out the reference numbers!

Steve GW7AAV

Don’t forget to give out the WAB area as well

Mick M3MCV :slight_smile:

In reply to HA5CQZ:

I upload all my logs to eQSL. All /P contacts go to my /P callsign.
The actual QTH and other info are included in the comment field.

Interesting. I found that I was unable to create a /P account without specifying a QTH for it, which would not in general be correct. This was a while ago; maybe they’ve changed it.

In reply to F5VGL:

however. This information is needed for the awards, if one of the
chasers wants to get one. In LoTW you need also to create separate
call sign, for example in my case HB9/F5VGL/P, and then you create new
QTH for each activation with the new grid square and ITU/CQ zones.

OK,I see the point. This is definitely a drawback, as all my /P eQSL cards have
the same locator, etc. However, if one is not concerned about the awards then it’s OK.

I see no other solution at the moment.

Zoli

Massive interest in this subject has prompted clarification of SSEG’s position on QSLing.

We do receive a few QSL cards for some summit ops, WAB etc. These are welcome and are returned using the incoming method. (E.g. Buro, by hand, or direct to G0OOO with SAE/IRC.) Other than our single GB-callsign operations (for which a card is automatically sent out for every QSO) we are not geared for ‘volume’ QSLing but when the need arises we order a small print-run.

From time to time there may be special circumstances, where we will send out the odd ‘complimentary’ card unprompted but this is not done with any expectation of a reply and none is required. That is not to say that a reply is unwelcome of course. Thank you for these cards; the latest being from Don G0NES.

If we receive several cards from the same station; each for an individual summit, we try to combine the reply onto a single card, hopefully with a list of summit refs & dates etc.

We accept the principle that in order to function, WAB and SOTA were designed NOT to need QSL-card confirmation. However, our current modest level of SOTA QSL traffic is acceptable and manageable.

Basically, on the limited number of occasions that a SSEG SOTA QSL card was requested, it has been our pleasure to make one available.

73, John G4YSS
(For Scarborough Special Event Group - GX0OOO/P)