Other SOTA sites: SOTAwatch | SOTA Home | Database | Video | Photos | Shop | Mapping | FAQs | Facebook | Contact SOTA

SOTA on Tour part 2 - The Sequel

Saturday 10th November 2018 - The Cloud G/SP-015

Gig: Joe Longthorne
Venue: Marina Hotel, Benidorm

I woke up at 0517 UTC, so had plenty of time before setting off for the airport. Early Saturday morning activations can be fruitfulness for DX, so I got up to do a local activation.

Dawn had just broken as I arrived at the parking spot, so the headtorch was not necessary. What was necessary was shelter, with a strong southerly wind blasting across the summit. It wasn’t at the level of recent storms but I nonetheless wanted to protect the SOTA pole from its force, and my body from its windchill.

I set up on the grassy ledge below the cliffs on the north face, and this was fine. On the 20m band, it was pretty slow going, with just a few QSOs on CW, a handful on FT8, and a couple of S2S (into Poland and Greece) on SSB. The continent challenge wasn’t going to happen today with just Europe, Asia and Africa finding my logbook. Signals were received from Brazil and New Zealand, but nothing noted from North America or Antarctica.

I did add some new countries to my FT8 total though, which I think now stands at 58. More pleasing was when I was catching up with some SOTA Database logging the past couple of days and wondering why NL7N threw up an unusual and unanticipated DXCC number - it was Alaska! My first ever QSO with Alaska and I didn’t even notice it at the time!

There were activations in JA and VK in progress at the same time as mine, but unfortunately, I couldn’t hear them.

I will now have to be a good boy and ignore the EA5 summit that is in Benidorm itself as M0HGY is at home - not that I would have time anyway, and I’ve left all the radio gear at home.

73s for now and enjoy the British weather. I’m off for a little warm up while at work!