SOTA on Bouvet

I have been reading the “3Y0I Bouvet Island DXpedition to Extend Beyond Amateur Radio” article in teh ARRL Letter dated 22 Feb 2018.

Thet mention that the 3Y0I team plan a trek to the top of the island’s glacier, Olavtoppen (or Olav’s Peak), at 780 meters above sea level.

Now, tongue in cheek, I wonder if Olavtoppen has a SOTA number!

On the associations site there is nothing for 3Y-land
http://www.sota.org.uk/Associations

OpenStreetMap tells me that there would be two valid summits on Bouvet … if I’m not mistaken!

Olavtoppen 780m
Lykketoppen 766m

73 Martin, OE5REO

It’s all a bit academic for now, because the 3Y0Z DXpedition was aborted on 3rd February due to adverse weather conditions. The team are now on their way home via Capetown.

Walt (G3NYY)

I heard, however, that there’s now another expedition being planned from Poland?

https://dx-world.net/3y0i-bouvet-island/

Yes and it’s the Polish team that intend to climb the Olavtoppen mountain, the US team did not plan that.
By the way the 3Y0I Polish team have offered places to any of the members of the unfortunately aborted 3Y0Z who want to join them and make it a combined DXPedition.

The Polish team were scheduled to go to Bouvet but at the request of the 3Y0Z team cancelled their plans last year. With the 3Y0Z DXPedition hitting the weather and ship problems, the Polish team are starting up their plans again. One of the members of the Polish team has already been on Bouvet a few years ago and knows the problems and dangers on this the “most remote Island in the world”.

Ed.

1 Like

I worked VU4G on the Andaman Islands yesterday. The operator is John, G4IRN. I know he is very keen on IOTA, but I don’t know whether he does SOTA.

Walt (G3NYY)

3Y is now listed for SOTA

If anybody is in touch with the Polish team they might like to know about this. When I tried to leave a message the form on their site didn’t seem to work.

Probably better to send to the individual operators - I’ll see what I can do.

Update: Email sent - I’ll report any response I get.

P.S. I have just read that the 3Y0Z team has not taken up the offer from the 3Y0I to perform a combined DXpedition as they have something else planned.

Hi Simon,

can you please tell me why there is only one summit valid on 3Y? When I look at the OpenStreetMap posted above I get the impression that Lykketoppen 766m has a prominenc of well over 150m and would also be a valid summit. Not that I think it will get activated often …

73 Martin, OE5REO

Looking at Simon’s analysis, using SRTM, P is calculated at 146m, and using the Norwegian Polar institute 20m DEM, it’s P is 131m. Absent a government map that shows it P150, neither of those values is compelling enough for arguing P150.

1 Like

thanks andrew for the info!

And about P140 from Google’s model. The Polar Institute’s DEM is what I’m most inclined to believe, although I noticed the peak elevation is lower than their map says (which is what I’ve quoted).