SOTA Meet

I was thinking today how sociable SOTA Activators and chasers are (most)would it not be a good idea to have a SOTA meet and greet, get together for exchanges of ideas and equipment show and tell etc. even thought of a SOTA camping weekend only thought of that 'cos of the brill weather we are having I don’t think I would have if it had been raining all week LOL. has there ever been anything of this nature?

Chris, M0XRS

In reply to M0XRS:
Hi Chris,

I held a SOTA BBQ at camp sites in Snowdonia 2003,04 & 05 if my memory serves me correct. It was great fun, take a look at

Imgur

for some pics. Great to see what others are using equipment wise share tales etc. John GW4BVE gave an antenna talk/ demonstration at one BBQ.

Other SOTA gatherings have taken place since, but lack of time, family/work etc. has stopped me organising another for now. It would be great to have another get together again. Especially as we have many more overseas participants now who might like to attend.

Roger MW0IDX

In reply to M0XRS:

Perhaps a SOTA-fest on the summit of Shining Tor one weekend? (Then all adjourn to the Cat & Fiddle.)

:wink:

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to MW0IDX:
I think a camping get-together would be great, perhaps in September when there is a fairly reliable “Indian Summer” and the school holidays are over so the sites get less busy. I would suggest in LD or NP so the GMs don’t have too far to travel. Just imagine all the activations!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Think I prefer Walt’s suggestion with an ajournment to the Cat and Fiddle !

No disruption at home with that, and might even get home on public transport…

Keith.

In reply to G8HXE:

Wherever it is held, it will favour some and be inconvenient for others. Shining Tor is a longish way for me (and I personally would prefer to travel further and have real mountains at hand) but it is a much longer drive if you live the other side of the border! Mind you, it would be fun to have one in GM…as long as I don’t have to drink Tartan!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Shining Tor is a perhaps not a good choice for a mass activation in any case. It is a very popular summit with the general public and access agreement would need to be sought for a special event. My understanding of format of Roger’s weekend meets was that the meet-up was at the campsite and individuals did the summits they wanted during the day. That ensured lots of summits got activated. There are very few other summits near Shining Tor - and they are all frequently activated.

The Cat is not the best pub in the world either; I would not even drive there from Macc for a pint.

There was also the Gaulfest model that ran in 2003-2005 featuring Mr Bun…

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G8ADD:
Drink Tartan (or Tennants) - God forbid !!

In reply to G3NYY:

In reply to M0XRS:

Perhaps a SOTA-fest on the summit of Shining Tor one weekend? (Then
all adjourn to the Cat & Fiddle.)

:wink:

Busman’s holiday for me, Walt :wink:

Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to MW0IDX:

Love this BBQ Camp site idea, would be great in the middle of a sota rich area.

Maybe something for next year ???

I also wouldn’t mind a winter meet in a good pub Hi Hi

Chris, M0XRS