Sota-link Project Part. 2

MW6LPU and MW0VPS joined into SOTA-Link today, one via the FCS reflector and the other via the DMR TG. Good to hear some chats about SOTA taking place.

I believe that Tom M1EYP may be demonstrating SOTA-Link at the Blackpool Rally this Sunday.

1 Like

2m QRM permittingā€¦

Late night activation timeā€¦

Iā€™m heading up The Cloud G/SP-015 later, with my FT70D. I hope to check into the SOTA-LINK room on WIRES-X via a suitable node / repeater when I arrive on summit. Iā€™ll be happy to have a chat with any SOTA friends around the world.

I will also be activating using simplex 2m C4FM, and probably analogue 2m FM too.

I had no joy getting in the SOTA-LINK room as it turned out. When I tried via the MB6AH node, I got a message back stating ā€œOfflineā€.

I was listening over here in VK2. That will explain why I didnā€™t hear you. Next timeā€¦

Not sure why the Wires-X room was offline. I can see MB6AH has accessed it around midnight (as did MB6PR). It also looks like the Wires-X/FCS link was unlinked. I have rebooted the system and all seems well now (maybe). If does need some proper testing - which I cannot do from home, so field testing is very welcome.

In preparation for a working lunch in the pub with Tom M1EYP I have prepared this clumsy (simplified) network diagram.

Hi Richard,

Always nice to have a diagram to explain things :slight_smile:

I am trying to build up my DV knowledge (which is pretty minimal) so a query. I notice that you are using a DVMega to bridge the Wires-X 44050 Room with FCS004-73. I thought that the DVMega could only connect to YSF Reflectors because the FCS Reflectors were created by the DV4Mini folk. I assumed you would need a DV4Mini device to do the job. Obviously it looks like my understanding was wrong.

73 Andrew G4AFI

Took the MD380 out with me today on GM/NS-138, easy access into GB7BI dmr repeater. Worked G0ANV on 4405

1 Like

Much of the information on the web is wrong (apart from the Areas 52 stuff).

The bridge for SOTA-Link to the DMR network is experience problems and may not always work. Sorry for any inconvenience.

The Wires-X 44050 <=> FCS 04-73 link remains in place and operational.

Would I be right that no one has been in TG 973 in the last couple of days and that when someone is using it, I should be able to hear them via Hoseline ??

Iā€™d like to try to listen for the TG over a local DMR repeater if I know there are going to be some people on, so that I can see if my DMR HT is now working (I am VERY new to DMR).

73 Ed.

Iā€™ve been connecting into SOTA-LINK via WIRES-X enabled nodes and repeaters over the past few days quite a lot, and heard nothing at all. I announced my presence in the room a few times.

The last access appears to have been once on Sunday by Compton VK2HRX

I saw in some earlier archives a lot of entries under Richardā€™s @G3CWI call sign - I suspect that access that is routed in from Wires-X may come with Richards ID on it.

Any one up for a short net on the Talk Group this evening or Thursday (Iā€™ve no chance on Wednesday).

73 Ed.

Hi Tom

As someone who has been monitoring FCS004-73 for a few weeks I can sympathize with your perceived disappointment of not having a contact. If I had been monitoring I would have answered. I usually monitor when working indoors on my computer .

The problem is that the weather has been so nice that I for one have had to catch up with work outside so I was not monitoring the room. Was I chasing SOTAā€¦yes, as my mobile phone with SOTA Spotter will ping and let me know that an activator has just been spottedā€¦I usually make my way to my HF radio in the shed and chase the activator.

Can I carry my FT2D around with me when I workā€¦not reallyā€¦would probably break it quite quickly. I can only access the room via my SharkRF.

There are so few of us on the system at the moment that it is a case of being around at the right place at the right timeā€¦maybe an agreed time slot in the evening for some sort of SOTA ragchew would increase activity.

If I monitor for the whole day I find that the batteries run down by late afternoonā€¦takes a very long time to charge the FT2 with the supplied charger. There is a desktop charger which I think has a rapid charger.

Just a few of my thoughtsā€¦not monitoring to dayā€¦just had lunchā€¦ Iā€™m out to do some work before the rain arrives :frowning:

73 Allan GW4VPX

PSā€¦just seen Edā€™s post aboveā€¦I will listen this eveningā€¦time?

I was away this weekend and returned to find that the FCS openSPOT had gone offline. I power-cycled it and now SOTA-Link is back. Sorry folks.

Explains why I heard no-one on Sunday/Monday. SOTA-Link was working fine before that. I used it from Hensbarrow Down on Saturday.

OK, I need to find a Brandmeister Repeater in range. the one I thought was Brandmeister is actually DMR+ and I think Iā€™m correct that I can only get to the SOTA Talk Group via the Brandmeister network - right?

73 Ed.

Ed, I know you recently bought one of the less expensive DMR handiesā€¦ any chance of user review? You know the kind of thing, usability, sensitivity, performance when on an RF rich site with commercial sations etc.?

Yes thatā€™s right.

Sorry to all for the delays today. What with the windows update changing things and a few other issues I havenā€™t been able to get back to this.

The local repeater that is listed as being in the brandmeister network is active often on Time Slot 1 but it shows as being connected to the DMR+ Germany Talk Group! Now either this is a DMR+ connected repeater or something strange is going on.

If anyone wants to access the SOTA TG this evening, thatā€™s fine as Iā€™ll at least be able to see it via the Hoseline website. Hoseline Iā€™m trying to find an alternative Brandmeister network repeater that I can access and can get to the SOTA TG 973 through. If I find one, I then have to reprogram the codeplug for such a link (I think), itā€™ll take me a while to get there.

Andy - Iā€™m still at the stage of trying to get the unit working here, which is no small feat without someone who knows DMR alongside you - a lot of what I am doing is based on (possibly outdated, incorrect or for the wrong system), information from the Internet plus trial and error.

I have no idea how well the unit might or might not work near to large transmitters or in extreeme conditions of any kind. If youā€™re looking for that kind of an HT - you probably should be looking at a Motorola rig.

I bought the one I have as a way to get into DMR, to play with and see if I like the mode. By the way, the price dropped just after I bought mine to around EUROs 70.

I have started a page under the equipment tab on my website at DD5LP.COM or VK2JI.COM - itā€™s by far not complete, very much a work-in-progress, but everyone is welcome to take a look!

Hereā€™s the direct URL: DMR Topics | DD5LP / G8GLM / VK2JI blog

73 Ed.