Other SOTA sites: SOTAwatch | SOTA Home | Database | Video | Photos | Shop | Mapping | FAQs | Facebook | Contact SOTA

SOTA in the News

A good spread on SOTA again in the October edition of Radcom. Page 74 covers Tom M1EYP’s amazingly resilient exploits in contests on The Cloud, SP-015.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

There is a sting in the tail, as the last paragraph reads -

“Unfortunately Tom was the only entrant in each of the first three sessions. Not wishing to flog a dead horse any further, the Contest Committee has therefore declared the event defunct for 2012.”

Obviously it wasn’t an event that appealed to contesting’s self-appointed elite, so it had to go …

Les, G3VQO

In reply to G3VQO:

That struck me as contradictory, Les, a full page spread and then the chop, what was the point of that? Surely a full page like that is designed to drum up more support?

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G3CWI:

I suspect they airbrushed his photo! :wink:

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

It is a shame that the 50MHz backpackers contest will not be around next year, I entered this myself a couple of years ago when it was a separate contest run alongside the 50MHz trophy I think. There were not many entrants that year if I remember rightly, & the power limit was only 3 Watts, with no 10 Watt “Hilltoppers” section, which did make it quite a challenge as the band was open that day. My best DX was 1888KM into the Ukraine, which I was quite pleased with using 2.5 Watts & a dipole.

Although the backpackers section my now be defunct there should still be a low power section (10 Watts maximum)in the UKAC in my opinion as it does give foundation licence holders a chance of competing with similarly equipped stations. If this is going to be the case Tom should still have the advantage of his excellent location.

Best 73,

Mark G0VOF

In reply to G8ADD:

Certainly looks like it Brian! The original is on this page:

http://tomread.co.uk/the_cloud_2010_(2).htm

In reply to G0VOF & G3VQO:

I would have thought that a new format needs more than one year to test out properly. But it has been a bit daft me being the only entrant in the 10B section on UKAC 6m nights. Thankfully, my scores got duplicated into the AL section as well, so there was still a reason to compete!

I wonder if the 50MHz BP contest will revert to weekend daytime sessions, or if that is it now? If the latter, I wonder if I get to keep the trophy? :wink:

Tom M1EYP