Sota Goat App Notifications problem

After using hamalert for a week now here’s what I think. This is the only app you need for spotting, it is the best all around app for alerts that I have ever used. not only is it outstanding for SOTA, it’s abundance of filters, it’s versatility is unmatched. I will keep using SOTA Goat for the summit database, but for notifications via iPhone it’s hamalert.

I’m still missing the SOTA Goat notifications. Has anyone tried to contact the developer recently)?

I have the same problem with Rucksack Radio on Android. Alerts appear in the list, but there is no sound or vibration when a new Alert occurs. Yes, it’s configured in Settings for both. Sound and vibration work upon opening the app, just not when there is a new alert. Up until this, the app has been great!

73, Bill, K8TE

A more recent Sotagoat anomaly: The spots I send during my activations don’t appear on my phone. They do seem to show up everywhere else tho because I get calls. Any solution? Scott kw4jm

I have this problem - when I set up an alert via the app, and pick the hour in UTC, it never posts correctly - if I recall well, it doubles the time difference between the UTC and my time zone. Is this only my case, has anyone else experienced it?

I am in time zone utc+10. If I subtract 10 hours from the desired alert time it posts the correct utc time. This usually means subtracting a day too, whenever my desired alert time is less than 10:00 utc.

Users in zones that are utc minus X may also have to adjust their alert times with this app. Which way, I don’t know. Possibly the same as I do.

This problem commenced with an app update aBout 18 months ago.

I experimented with alerts a week out from the current date to avoid confusing others. Afterwards I logged in from my PC and deleted all the test alerts.

73 Andrew VK1DA VK2UH

Has anyone contacted the author yet and got any hint on plans to fix the 2 issues?
I just wondered and I am about to contact the developers as well.

when I set up an alert via the app, and pick the hour in UTC, it never posts correctly - if I recall well, it doubles the time difference between the UTC and my time zone. Is this only my case, has anyone else experienced it?

Me too

I did and others did too. The responses were along the lines that the app needs to be changed to use a different server for the notifications and to correct the time error. I provided test results as evidence of the time error, which he acknowledged. There has been no update to the app and we can only presume that he is unable to put the time needed into this problem.

It’s a shame because the app was so good. I keep it on my ipad and iphone because it provides such a clear summary of sotawatch.

Hope it gets updated soon.

Cheers

My iPhone 4s reckoned a SOTA Goat update became available for iOS today. I updated but it seems still not to be notifiying. Also the alert time problem local time/UTC remains.

So a phantom update?

1 Like

Hi Andrew,
Yes I also got an update on sotagoat yesterday. The update text says there are some new features, added option to delete spots and alerts the user has created, improved the UI, fixed bug “where spots and alerts would not post”.
But no mention of the inability to calculate times correctly, which it previously did perfectly (pre the January 2016 update).
Oh well…
I can deal with subtracting 11 hours for new alerts. The spot server problem means no push notifications.
Cheers
Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

I emailed the developer a few weeks ago about the time issue. The only “response” I’ve seen is this topic. Thankfully (in the UK at least) the issue has now been “resolved” (until March)

I’m really pleased he is still working on the app. I tested the ability to delete my own alert - works fine. Select the alert, find the Delete option at the foot of the screen, answer the confirmation dialog, done.
The patch installed recently may have been lodged with apple many months ago.

It is possible he is waiting for the next version of sotawatch, or specifically the new API before making further changes.

Anyway I will thank him for releasing the recent patch and encourage reinstatement of the ability to create a spot from an alert, as well as correcting the time bug.