SOTA FunEvenings

Well as I uncoupled the VX7 from its charging lead in the car, just as I was about to start the ascent, I noticed it was turned on. Alarm bells! This suggested that when connected to the charging lead when I set off, it was completely out of charge - and in ‘ON’ mode. Therefore there was not very much charged in it whatsoever (five minutes’ driving worth!).

Liam and I walked to the top in very light drizzle. Pete 2E0LKC answered the first call, and he was quickly followed by his YL Anne 2E0LMD. A further CQ call was then prevented by the VX7 switching itself off - out of charge.

Liam was pleased.

Fail to prepare then prepare to fail.

1 Like

Fail? Mission accomplished actually. All objectives met.

I agree. You prepared to fail and succeeded. All objectives met.

Nearly. I failed to prepare, but got away with it and still achieved my objectives.

I have to say I’m impressed with the supernatural abilities of my two learned friends who can measure my progress without knowledge of my targets.

1 Like

Fun Evening time again.

Tonight, it will be The Cloud G/SP-015 (what else?) and 6m CW/SSB.

If I am there early I will try 50.276-JT65 (or maybe 50.313).

I will now try to work out how I use KST on my phone for organising skeds - probably missing out on some fat GM bonuses if I don’t. :wink:

QRV probably 7.30pm to 10.30pm BST local.

It helps when your run frequency is known, “search & pounce” just doesn’t work on VHF with qrp power levels and qsb at the other end. If you had been on 70cm on Tuesday I have a feeling you would have been workable with the aircraft gods on our side

So for the very first time, I tried using ON4KST chat on my phone to sked some QSOs to potential new squares. I managed to get some (time-consuming) dialogue going - but no actual success in working a new square! In GM I got IO75 and IO86. I tried meeping a station in IO85 but didn’t get any response. I looked for you on the list on stations on KST Barry, but couldn’t find you.

Anyway, 67 QSOs. Squares worked: IO51, 61, 64, 74, 75, 81, 82, 83, 86, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, JO00 and 02. I did hear IO71, JO01 and JO03, but couldn’t hunt them down. There were plenty of other bonuses out there too, but I never found them.

Good job it was a mild and still night as I forgot my jumper, so just had my jacket. I was pretty tired after doing a very much longer walk - a superb circuit on the edge of Macclesfield, taking in Higher Fence/Swans Pool, Lark Hall, Eddisbury Hill, Tegg’s Nose, Higher Blakelow, the Macclesfield Canal and the Puss In Boots pub - with Marianne and Liam earlier that day.

Yeah the wx was bobbins on Tuesday, and my 70cm antenna was broken - so I went to the match instead.

Not my band - very rarely go on 6 m from the new qth - no room for the antenna!
Plus - ankle biters staying and also delivering youngest to the airport takes so much time that I was in need of a large G&T just to recover!

1 Like