SOTA FunEvenings

Has summer arrived? Maybe, although it might feel otherwise come 10.30pm!

So - SOTA Fun Evening, tonight 8pm, 2m SSB. Think the record participation so far this year is about 2 activators and 9 or 10 chasers. Can we beat that?

This canā€™t be yet another shameless advert for your contesting is it Tom?

4 Likes

It was a really good evening. Think I was the only activator out on an actual SOTA summit, but Rob G7LAS/P, Steve G1YBB/P and Rob G0PEB/P were on HuMPs (I think). There could well have been more SOTA/HEMA/Trigs activity because a huge number of /P stations took to the air. Great stuff!

Estimating from my log that I worked at least 20 SOTA chasers.

In total, I made 97 contacts, all 2m SSB.

Any publicity is good publicityā€¦:slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, promoting SOTA to a large group of committed VHFers and promoting VHF SSB and activity nights to the SOTA community. A win-win - hopefully!

Nothing worse than planning an evening of radio and to watch the sunset.
Only to get to invovled on the radio side and by chance turn round to see the last glismpe of the sun setting over the lakes. Took this pic from G/NP-022 Calf Top on the 5th May, i will have to get the sleeping ready for some night time activations.

Worth the effort
Graeme

3 Likes

Nice to work you for the two S2S contacts earlier Graeme.

I heard you call a few times with no one returning and thought i would chance it, glad to make it in the log twice. I have been avoiding S2S in CW but took the plunge today and was well chuffed.
Seems there was a mad dash to the hills today managed to work on 5MHz G4WYL, G4TSQ (g/se-010) MM0FMF (gm/ss179) and on 14MHz 2E0YYY (g/sp-017).
The chasers have been great in helping me with my CW on activations, slowing down or leaving longer spacing between the characters and sending their calls many many times, would recommend to anyone to give it a tap.

Graeme

Iā€™ll be slightly late for SOTA FE tonight, but should be Qrv by around 8.30pm. 70cm Ssb this week.

I had a decent night in the end on Tuesday 10th May 2016. The weather was forecast to be poor, but somewhat remarkably, I didnā€™t get wet. Wind was a problem - it was very strong throughout blasting across the summit and I suffered at least five mast collapses. I only had to re-bend antenna elements once though! I say ā€œremarkablyā€ that I didnā€™t get wet. All night I could see heavy rain within 2 miles of me. For one totally weird 30 minute period, I was completely surrounded by heavy rain, all within a quarter of a mile of my summit! But not a single drop on The Cloud G/SP-015! I have never experienced anything like it!

Anyway, 59 QSOs, all 70cm SSB, 13 squares: IO64, 74, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, JO01. Briefly heard GM4JTJ in CW from IO86, but no QSO. Never heard any other squares or any DX.

Itā€™s the 4th Tuesday of the month.

Which meansā€¦

Itā€™s SOTA 6m Fun Evening!

Though how much ā€œfunā€ it will be for me on The Cloud later with the forecast rain, Iā€™m not so sure. At least the forecast has updated from ā€œheavy rainā€ to ā€œlight rainā€ during the course of the day. Thing is, it has been dry all day. The rain is forecast for between 8pm and 10.30pm - exactly the times I intend being QRV!

Fingers crossed for manageable weather and a bit of Sp. E.

Typical - the first time for several days that there is no Es about!:unamused:

Brian

Good thing about Es its just might make an appearance and again might not

Me T6M is up and ear wigging for any one

Karl MK3FEH

TOLD YA
Es just sprung up.
JN62XS just worked 18:20 utc

Just need some Sota,s now on 6m be good

MK3FEH karl

There was a bit of an opening to Italy during the evening of Tuesday 26th July 2016. During the evening activation I made 63 QSOs, all 6m SSB. 16 locator squares were worked: IO64, 74, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, JO00, 01, 03, JN52.

The Met Office gave heavy rain throughout the contest times in its lunchtime forecast. By teatime this had diluted to a dry first hour with continuous light rain thereafter. The actuality was not a single drop of rain all night!

Yep evening did kick off with a few italians on SSB.
But soon went poor again and did hear a few voices low in box but evening gen was quiet :frowning:

Karl

Pity you didnā€™t hear/find me Karl as IO70 would have been a very welcome addition to my log!

And you would have been me first 6m sota.
Funny thing is between 0900-100hrs utc this morning.
6 opening nicely into I OM OK OE HA S5 SP .
Shame not been like that last night.

karl

You never know with six! The best transatlantic opening I ever heard started about 2100 and was still going strong at 0200 when I staggered to bed! The band was, of course, dead the next morning!

Brian

1 Like

Not for me tonight. I havenā€™t got round to repairing the 70cm antenna, and so Iā€™m going to the footy instead. However, right now Iā€™m sat in a pub in Congleton with Liam, so will take a wander up G/SP-015 with the VX7.

Get monitoring on S2 please SOTA chasers!