SOTA FunEvenings

In reply to GW0DSP:
Happy birthdays, guys!

Alerts does not seem to want to accept my alert for tonight. I expect to be on G/CE-002 about 1730 - 1745, and will operate 2m ssb, fm and then sstv (mmsstv at first then perhaps hampal on or near 144.575. Finally a pint at the Fountain in Clent village!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:
Ah! My alert finally appeared, it only took about 20 minutes!

Brian G8ADD

PS Just realised it was posted for me - thanks!

In reply to G8ADD:

Well done to all stations who turned out for Fun Night. It was lovely to see Alain F6ENO/P out and Dan DH8DX/P who was still out during Fun Night time.

Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:

No show from me again tonight - too busy Iā€™m afraid. Last week, not busy, but no car. Such is life!

73, Gerald

I intend to be out next Tuesday, for the 23cms evening.

Only 10w F.M. hopefully from LD-049 if the WX is good, if not it will be from a non SOTA hill.

Anyone else got 23cms?

Nick G0HIK

In reply to GW0DSP:
QRV from 1835 to 1920 UTC, 42 QSO, no S2S, but many north stations, starting
with Aage LA1ENA.
Mosquitos had a very ā€œfun eveningā€ with meā€¦!
And a gentleman sending me ā€œ99ā€ every 5 minutesā€¦
That was my evening !
Best 73 to all
Alain F6ENO

Set off from home at 3pm, got to Ingleton at 4pm. Arrived at the summit of Ingleborough NP-005 at 6pm. I first erected my newly built linked dipole configured for 40m. By the time I was ready to put out a call it was just before 6.20pm. I put out a call on 7.032 Mhz, but there were no takers, before I took the dipole down and put up the SOTA beam for 2m FM. I should have set off from home a little earlier to allow me to stay on 40m for longer.

I managed to be operational on 2m FM about 6.35pm (1735 UTC). Quite a few stations were worked including 2 S2S. I then QSYā€™d to 2m SSB, but only managed to work one station.

Sorry to those stations who missed me on FM, I wanted to try 2m SSB and time was running out fast.

I arrived home at 1020pm.

Overall a nice evening, but very tiring! It was quite windy on the summit and some chasers will remember that at one point my log blew away and I had to run after it! When I was packing up a lid from an equipment box blew away too. Luckily I managed to retrieve that too!

73 Colin M0CGH

photo at M0CGH/P on Ingleborough | This was my set up on Ingleboroughā€¦ | Flickr

In reply to thread:

Sorry I was late on the summit, my calculations included a totally inadequate allowance for one of the great imponderables, the XYL factor!

Operated SSB from 1902 to 1940 UTC, worked 15 stations including PA4MRS for ODX, but sadly no S2S. Then moved to 144.575 FM and failed to send any SSTV to the waiting net due to a computer problem, the image on the screen was barely visible and for some reason Fn+> would not brighten it up, so as the XYL was now complaining of cold (I TOLD her to pack a sweater!) we made our apologies and adjourned to the pub, where we had a Festival Pint of real ale (three third pints of different real ales. For the enthusiasts amongst us the Jennings Yan, Tā€™yam, Tethera came out tops!)

Thinking about it in the warm, I should have rebooted the computer, it works fine, now!

Looking forward to the next fun night, but as I depend on the XYL for transport that will be the next warm Tuesday!

Brian G8ADD

FB Colin. Ingleborough is much more of an undertaking for Fun Evening, with the timing much more critical for a descent in daylight. On The Cloud now, I can leave the summit at 9pm without the need of a torch, and the descent is short enough to manage in the dark without a torch anyway (although it takes longer!).

If you want to play 2m SSB on Fun Evenings, your best bet is to do an easier summit, so that you can be QRV between 8pm and 9pm, on the first Tuesday of the month. There will be loads of 2m SSB activity in the RSGB Activity Contest, including SP-015 and NW-051 for SOTA.

Next week is the 23cm week of the AC, so I will be on 2m FM for the Fun Evening (or possibly 40m CW - I will check the alerts to measure the ā€˜trendā€™). The following week is 6m - and I will be on that band.

Tom M1EYP

Thanks to all chasers who gave me a call on Foel Fenlli last night and to Tom 'EYP for the S2S. I think the best chaser dx was Frank G3RMD in IO81XV at 160km.

Surprising how strong and cold the easterly wind was, I needed a wooly hat and gloves on to stay comfortable!

Looked a promising start to the 70cm contest with PA0GHB the first contact in the log at a distance of 524km but sadly he was the only non-UK station worked all evening.

Great to have the lighter evenings, I was able to leave the summit at 9:40, back at the car at 10:00, without the need for the torch.

Best wishes,

Ron, GW4EVX

In reply to M1EYP:
Hi Tom,

All your comments noted! My choice of summit was decided by a number of factors. I am aware of RSGB contests, having read your posts on the reflector. I studied the VHFCC website for the rules before setting off from home.

I work 1400 till 2130 each week day, so yesterdayā€™s fun evening was a one-off. I booked a dayā€™s annual leave, because I was jealous last week of people playing radio in the sunshine, whilst I was stuck at work soldering telecoms waveguide diplexers!

I considered activating Rombalds Moor NP-028, which is my nearest 1 pointer. I was making my mind up when I heard Geoff, G4CPA, who lives close to me, on 2m having a simplex QSO one night. ( I hardly ever turn on a radio at home, so this was sheer coincidence). I heard him say he was going to activate Rombalds for the fun night.

I then quite fancied doing Sharp Haw, but then my (over-cautious!) ā€˜safety circuitā€™ tripped in - Iā€™ve never been up Sharp Haw, and I wanted to activate a summit that Iā€™d been to before so I could navigate without any problems should it become dark.

I decided on Ingleborough because I know the route well from Ingleton and itā€™s worth 6 points, so it makes the ā€˜spendā€™ of annual leave more worthwhile!

I donā€™t think Iā€™ll be doing the fun evening for a while, because my annual leave is rapidly getting used this year! If I did play out again on fun evening, Iā€™d probably do it from Rombalds Moor NP-028 (about 20 mins drive from my QTH).

Iā€™m thinking my next weekend activation will be Sharp Haw and I wonā€™t bother with 2m FM, then I wonā€™t get stuck there!!!

73 Colin M0CGH

Off out later for SOTA Fun Evening tonight!

Iā€™ll be QRV between 8pm and 10.30pm on 6m, CW and SSB from The Cloud G/SP-015.

Not quite summer yet, but every extra minute of daylight and extra degree of temperature is welcome nonetheless!

[off-topic] If any blues/jazz fans are interested, Iā€™m gigging with two different bands at Nantwich Jazz, Blues & Music Festival on Easter Monday, at the Crown Hotel (performances at 1pm and 4pm). Unfortunately, I donā€™t imagine that the forecast drop in Mean Sea Level will be sufficiently advanced by then to allow a valid SOTA activation of Raw Head G/SP-016 on the way homeā€¦

Had to laugh - your post is noted as ā€œ7 YEARS LATERā€. Time warp transmission on 6m? :smile:

1 Like

No, thereā€™s a simpler explanationā€¦

Oh. I know things are a little slow on VHF nowadays, butā€¦ Maybe catch you later if I ignore the potential TVI issue that 6m seems to give me. Unfortunately no chance of going out portable myself.

1 Like

Well 7 years on we wont be worrying about whether all the activators were really on a summit and not sat in their car in the near of the summit.

1 Like

The Heard Island team VK0EK landed on the island today.

Iā€™m off out to collect an FT857 in a little while, I think my FT817 really will struggle to work VK0EK, Iā€™m upping the power a couple of S-points.

If Iā€™m back in decent time, I might pop into the garden with 6m dipole and see if I can work you Tom.

GL!

73 Colin

Edit -

BTW, Iā€™m glad itā€™s not just me doing crazy outdoor radio at night! I spent a couple of hours in the garden on Saturday night with my SW-20+. Despite the band being well open to the East Coast US, the NA stations were only seemingly interested in the VA QSO party :frowning:

Hard to believe itā€™s nearly 20 years since VK0IR was on the air.

I had hair and it was black in those days!

1 Like

I didnā€™t even have a licence during VK0IR, Iā€™ve only been licenced 19 years!

I am somewhat surprised how many callsigns above on the old reflector no longer seem to participate in SOTA :confused:

Jonathan