SOTA FunEvenings

Looks like everyone is having fun while I am stuck in work :0(

Steve GW7AAV

Never mind it is double time :0D

In reply to all : Apologies for abruptly going QRT at about 18:15. Local minor operational difficulties appeared to be causing problems for a local operator.

Regards, Dave, MW0DFA/P

Hello everyone

I have just got home from GW/NW-062 and I think it’s reasonably safe to say that tonight was a bit of a success;-)

Thank you to all activators who turned out and to the chasers/spotters whose support was magnifcant.

The idea to keep to Tuesday evening and combine with the AC contest was a real winner.

I managed…

50 QSO’s

2m-fm 23 QSO’s
2m-ssb 27 QSO’s
12 s2s contacts
Best DX south, Don G0RQL in Devon
Best DX North, Andy GM4JR/P, just North of Dumfries.

Apologies to Robin GM7PKT/P, I did hear you on 2-ssb Robin, but I wasn’t making the trip back to you, sorry.

I managed to get 3 new licensees interested in joining the SOTA programme, so fingers crossed that they join us in the near future…

Apologies for no HF from me, it was howling a hoolie on the summit.

We have to do our best to keep these Fun Evenings going now!

I hope you all had as much fun as I did.

Thaks again everyone.

Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:

Thanks for the s2s

i only managed 3 s2s contacts , i think i was being chased for the 2 point tonight:D

total contacts was 23 with Don G0RQL being the best down in devon… that man has a very good set up down there :slight_smile: respect and also G0TVB/P in west yorkshire.

contest wise i ran 25 contacts for my first time which isnt bad and over all i had a great night … roll on the summer .

Best contest contacts

G4IRC/p JO02OD ipswich direction

G0VJG/p JO01CK Dartford London

Just 3 S2S for me as well. Where was everyone? Not on 2m SSB between 8 and 9pm I guess! Thanks to GW0DSP, GW4EVX and G0HIK for NW-062, NW-051 and LD-049 respectively.

ODX was G4RRA, Devon, 295km.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
Where was everyone? - busy gardening.

In reply to M1EYP:

We were wondering that, for some strange reason we found it difficult getting out of Hutton roof crags ld-052. 5mhz dead, hardly anyone replying on 2ssb.
unable to get spotted by regulars resulted couple 23cm contacts, 2 50mhz contacts, ( using 6m halo).

Best dx from previous summit Arnside was Devon. 2m-ssb.

however had good fun despite not being too fruitful contact wise.

no sign of the mafia all day??

rgds Keith G0OXV

In reply to M1EYP:
Where was everyone? Not on 2m SSB between 8 and 9pm I guess!

I must admit I was in bed at 5-45pm that’s why I was not on duty, need a small amount of sleep before my night shift, driving around the midlands, glad everyone had a good time, but from the spots only a hand full out or was most of the chasers activating aswell.
Steve m0sgb

In reply to M0SGB :

In reply to M1EYP:
Where was everyone? Not on 2m SSB between 8 and 9pm I guess!

Most ops started at 6:30pm local time, so would have finished on 2m approx 7:30pm. Both Ron and Tom were in the AC contest and started at 8pm, half an hour later than when a lot may have finished. Having said that some stayed back to work them both.

but from the spots only a
hand full out or was most of the chasers activating aswell.
Steve m0sgb

There was a minimum of 12 activators out, plus LD-049 had a group/club on it, so add that figure to the 12. This year we had a couple out on humps too.

Mike GW0DSP

Yes, 3 S2S for me, which is not too bad. It would be nice to get up to the levels of S2S activity that there was last year though. Perhaps when the nights get even warmer and lighter, there will be more operating until 9pm.

Next week it is the 70cm activity contest. I will be operating therefore on 433MHz SSB between 8pm and 9pm local, and it would be nice to see some SOTA stations there.

I will be on the nominated band (and virtually always SSB mode) of the weekly RSGB AC on the 2m, 70cm and 6m weeks of the month. On the microwave and 4m nights, I will be most likely on 2m FM working around the Fun Evening stations.

73, Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Next week it is the 70cm activity contest. I will be operating
therefore on 433MHz SSB between 8pm and 9pm local, and it would be
nice to see some SOTA stations there.

73, Tom M1EYP

Unfortunately Tom, Fun nights start at 1730 and end 1830 for 2m, even if activators stayed another half hour after that, they would miss you.

Maybe it would be a better idea for you to get out earlier, or are you governed by Jimmy’s start time for ATC?

Mike

In reply to M1EYP:

G7KXV/P & G4BLH/P were still operating 2m ssb from SP-005 at 20:20 (clock time) but did not hear you, but did work Ron GW4EVX/P. We packed up around 20:25 because it was very windy & becoming increasingly cold and the sun was about to drop behind the distant hills. By the time I got home (only 4 miles away) it was dark.
Maybe in a couple of weeks or so when we have more day time hours it would be possible to stay a lot longer.

Mike G4BLH

Yes, absolutely constrained by Jimmy’s ATC times Mike (DSP). Not to worry. At least you know when and where (QRG) I will be on Tuesday nights.

It suddenly got cold and windy on SP-015 too Mike (BLH). However, there was still enough daylight to descend at 9pm. Mind you, a ten minute descent route helps hi!

Tom M1EYP

The 144MHz activity contest is one of the very few vhf events that I don’t make a serious attempt at, usually just giving a few points away from home, but I can’t resist a trip up the hills on a pleasant evening.

Managed four S2S, Nick G0HIK/P on LD-049, Mike GW0DSP/P on NW-062, Tom M1EYP/P on SP-015 and Ian G7KXV/P plus Mike G4BLH/P on SP-005.

Had a wonderful pile-up which kept me going non-stop for the first half hour and worked 41 stations in total before packing up at 9:15 local time.
In contrast to two weeks ago when I was there for the 6m contest I was able to walk back to the car without using a torch.

Unusually best dx was only 217km and I didn’t work any stations in IO91 or JO01 squares. Part of the problem I think is that many stations in these areas spend most of their time beaming across the Channel and seem reluctant to point them northwards! Linked to this problem is your choice of frequency for calling CQ on may be in use by these stations, but inaudible to you, thereby completely wiping out your signal in their locality.

So many thanks to all the chasers who gave me a call, and wx permitting I will be there next week for the 70cm contest.

Ron, GW4EVX

Is Fun Evening on tonight? I see I am the only activation alerted. RSGB 70cm contest this week, and I have the very tight time window with Jimmy to drop off and pick up, so I will only be on 70cm SSB. That may provide a new band/mode for some to tick off though.

Hope to work many contest stations and chasers tonight.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Is Fun Evening on tonight?

Tom M1EYP

Indeed it is Tom.

EVERY Tuesday is Fun Night until September, so let’s see some alerts going on, especially while this fabulous wx lasts.

I might have to miss this evening because I have family and friends coming over to celebrate my birthday, but if I can sneak an hour in before the alcohol flows, then dash off early, I will;-)

If I can’t make it, I will try and chase you all.

Have a good night.

Mike GW0DSP

Happy birthday Mike, keep it civilized :slight_smile:

Peter

In reply to GW0DSP:
Hope I will be on air this evening (from F/NO-043 or NO-042).

Happy birthday Mike ! mine is wednesday… hi !

73 Alain F6ENO

In reply to F6ENO:

Thanks Peter and Alain and happy birthday for Wednesday, it was certainly a good month, hi.

Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:

N´ddedwydd ben-blwydd Mike and
bon anniversaire Alain!

CU from the summits
Vy73 de Fritz DL4FDM,HB9CSA