SOTA FunEvenings

In reply to M1EYP:Hi Tom I heard you also.But due to me being late getting on to the top of Boulsworth I had very little time due to it going dark.I did work six stations then packed up.It was a nightmare best forgotten was the journey down.The antenna I used was a delta loop that I made the day before.it was you that gave me the idea.Thanks it worked very well Geoff G6MZX.

In reply to GW0DSP:
For the fun evening on the 6th of May the Furness Amateur Radio Society (GX4ARF) is hoping to operate several stations from the summit of LD-049 (Lowick High Common) We are aiming for stations on 2M fm and ssb, 70cms fm and ssb, HF (5,7,10Mhz) and possibly 23 cms fm. The idea is to let stations who, for one reason or another, have not been able to operate from the hills get some experience of SOTA, so will be very weather dependent.
As 23cms has not been used up here in the wilds since the dawn of time :slight_smile: can someone please let us know the fm calling channel and operating frequencies. Also is anyone else planning to be active on this band?
Call signs in use will be
M3UFU Ken, M0TES Chris, G0HIK Nick, M3TMX Jordan, G3VUS Dave, 2E0FZK Allan, G4RQJ Rob, G8ALE Mike, and possibly M3MEU Dave.
Just hope for a nice evening and steady feet!
Rob
G4RQJ

In reply to G4RQJ:

Normally you can linearly translate from 2m. That was until they introduced 12.5kHz nonsense there.

So 2m FM calling is 145.500, 70cms FM calling is 433.500 and therefore 23cm FM calling is 1297.500.

I never knew why SSB was centred lower on 70cm and 23cms when activity is sparser butā€¦

2m SSB calling is 144.300 70cms SSB, 432.200 and 23cms is 1296.200.

Iā€™d be impressed if you can find enough activity on 23cms FM such that you need more than 1297.500 +/- 25kHz :slight_smile:

Andy
MM0FMF

Hi Rob.Good to see all the activity planned.When I work the activators within my reach on 23cms we usually call and work on 1297.500.FM.
Dont forget to beam to Devon all you activators, all cicumstances permitting I am here on 6/2/70/23cms.Plus the usual hf.73 Don.

Hmmm - this looks like itā€™s going to be spectacular. If thereā€™s going to be that many activators on, plus all the chasers, plus all the contest stations, then how am I going to fit them all into 50 minutes operating window? Iā€™d better get some last-minute training from Jimmy about how to be (very) concise on the microphone!

Tom

In reply to G4RQJ:

Hi Rob, thatā€™s fantastic and it is exactly what I intended the Fun nights to be, to encourage newcomers to sota and raise sota awareness in general.

Most important is to activate for the first half hour on 2-fm then the second half hour on 2-ssb, just so that we all know where and when to look for each other and also the chasers can find us, after that anything goes.

A good tip is to make a print-out of the alerts page just before you leave home, this is a good guide of who is where.

Fingers crossed for good wx, Iā€™ll be in my office, as usual and will be looking for ā€œyour crowdā€, Good luck and most importantly, stay safe. Tell your gang to download one of Richard G3CWIā€™s route cards from the Sotabeams website, http://www.sotabeams.co.uk/cards.htm a good habit to get new ops into.
Catch you on the 6th May.

73 Mike GW0DSP

In reply to G4RQJ: I think that I had better re-ink the pad.
Sounds like there could be a lot of passports to stamp!
David
G6LKB

PS and Rob using the correct name tooā€¦

In reply to G4RQJ:

In reply to GW0DSP:

As 23cms has not been used up here in the wilds since the dawn of time
:slight_smile: can someone please let us know the fm calling channel and operating
frequencies. Also is anyone else planning to be active on this band?

Rob
G4RQJ

Will endeavour for Gummers How on 23 cms. Will run QRO of 500 milliwatts so we should make it or if I am feeling up to it will go for a smaller one of say Racecourse Hill. All depends on the state of play inside

In reply to G6DDQ: Hi Myke, I think that at least G3VUS and myself have claimed for 23cms from here on Jan 14th 2006 at the mass activation using your equipment. What a quiet band it was.

In reply to G6LKB:
Dave

Its far too busy now though.

Looking at the new monoband Icom rig for 23 cms

No alerts yet (apart from one!). Is everyone waiting for a last minute check on the wx, or is it going to be quieter than it looked a couple of days ago? Posting your alerts in advance would be helpful to other Fun Evening participants, as Mike mentioned.

And remember, from 8pm, certainly on 2m SSB, other stations will be wanting your locators and serial numbers - so donā€™t forget them!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to GW0DSP: Recent activations suggest all is well with my heart, but need the uphill walks. Iā€™ll stake my claim to Corndon Hill for 6th March. May call on cw (very slow, please) after 2M fm and SSB. If 144.050 not the correct calling frequency for cw, will someone correct me, please. Will have a record of the locator for the summit if requested.

Look forward to a long session completing the database afterwards.

Regards, Dave, M0DFA

In reply to M0DFA:

Great stuff Dave, Iā€™ll look for you on 144.050 which is the cw calling qrg on 2m.
Just one point, itā€™s 6th of May, hi. Tomorrow even.

Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP: OK, so timeā€™s moved on a bit. My other call gives a clue to why thereā€™s a few mental aberations - like doing SOTA, HI
Dave, M0DFA/G6DTN

In reply to GW0DSP:Hi Mike we will give it a go on Tuesday 06/05/08 on G/TW004 first hour 2 metres then will try 6 40 and 60 metres hope to make it a regular Tuesday All the best 73 G6MZX

Hi All,

Looks like the weather is going to be brilliant for the SOTA fun evening tonight.

I will be thinking of all the activators having fun on the hills, whilst Iā€™m stuck at work in a really hot factory! :frowning:

Hope all activations go ok and most of all - all have fun!

73 de Colin M0CGH

Unlucky

i will be out on w/wb-004 tonight running 144.320 ssb and 29.600 fm + ssb

should be a fun night i will be QRV around 7pm gmt

Look forward to working many of youā€¦ though i have allready activated this summit! :slight_smile:

In reply to M3VXX:

It looks like it will be every bit as successful as last year, with 9 activations alerted and I know of 2 other possibles.

With this wx it will be a cracker for activators and chasers alike.

KEEP IT SAFE!! You are responsible for your own safety!!

73 Mike

Well chaps it looks like we are in for a cracker, with 12 stations alerted.

Iā€™m heading out in a minute. Good luck to everyone, have loads of fun but STAY SAFE!!

Iā€™ll see you from the summits.

Mike GW0DSP

Iā€™m not going to be able to get out this evening :o( but may listen out while finishing a uni project.

Carolyn G6WRW