Sota Fun Evening Old

Dear All

Still waiting for the eBay SLAB to arrive (they say it’s been dispatched) so I wont be able to get the 706 up on 2m SSB on G/CE-005 this evening. I may try to go with the VX5 and Sotabeam again… but the desense might prove difficult.

If I’m there, I’ll beam north, vertical (ouch)… but no promises…

73 Marc G0AZS

In reply to G0AZS:

Nice one Marc, we will be listening for you. I’ll set up my beam vertical for the first half hour, if you can’t make it, no problem, remember, it’s just a fun evening.

73 Mike

In reply to 2E0HJD:
Mick

Have decided to head up a local hill - unfortunately its not a SOTA summit (got the height up not the required vertical approach). I will take my SOTA Beam and 817 so please turn your beams north at some stage tonite.

73 Glyn…GM4CFS

Will do - if I’m using one! If time runs short it may have to be handy & RD only. I will be operational only between 8pm and 8.45pm local (1900-1945 UTC), and if I am still on at 8.45pm, somebody please tell me to get off and go and pick Jimmy up from Air Cadets!

I have an old 817 internal battery on charge to see if it can provide any juice after a “rest”, but assuming it doesn’t, I will be on 2m FM only. Speak to you later…

Dear All

I’m torn now… I’m happy to use 2m FM vertical… BUT unless anyone has a big issue, I’ll set up “flat” (horizontal does reduce my desnse issue a little) and I think I might stand more chance of hitting a few people that way.

73 Marc G0AZS

In reply to M1EYP:

I hope that you will call me under my cunning disguise as G3SDC/P. I will not be on a SOTA hill but will certainly be glad of callers. Due to the desire to run high(er) power and the need to backpack the station to site I will not be QRV until 2000L. I will be mainly on SSB but may dip into FM occasionally.

Richard

In reply to G0AZS:

Dear All

I’m torn now… I’m happy to use 2m FM vertical… BUT unless anyone
has a big issue, I’ll set up “flat” (horizontal does reduce
my desnse issue a little) and I think I might stand more chance of
hitting a few people that way.

73 Marc G0AZS

You used to be indecisive but I gues that now you’re not so sure.

Mike

…or maybe circular… hmmm

In reply to G0AZS:

take a X yagi, hi. Hope to catch you s2s Marc, good luck.

Mike

In reply to G4OBK:

Hope your HF ant is working well Phil.
Guiseborough would be my last TW :slight_smile:

Roger G4OWG

It seemed to be a great success, with seemingly as many activators simultaneously out as on other famous days in SOTA’s history, like the Snowdonia/Lleyn BBQ weekends, the DDQ LD & NP Youth Hostel weekends, the SP Fun Days and the Gaulfests (maybe those newer to SOTA haven’t heard of those).

I did retry an old internal 817 battery, which seemed to charge up OK, but one push of the PTT and it was dead. So no SSB for me, but the SOTA Beam was set up, and certainly made a difference. Using 2.5 watts from my Yaesu VX-7R, I made 22 contacts on 2m FM, including 5 summit-to-summits. Cloud summit was very busy with families, teenagers, model aircraft hobbyists, kite flyers, courting couples, picnickers and even two lads playing their guitars. One girl, about 12 or 13 years old approached me and said “What are you doing?”. I told her; her follow up question was “Why?”.

I think around 9 or 10 activators took part in the end, possibly more as I wasn’t monitoring SSB, and many chasers calling in from their shacks. Well done and thanks to Mike GW0DSP for inspiring a pleasant and successful evening. Tuesdays are good for me to do this, even though I can’t do the first hour.

It seemed to be a great success, with seemingly as many activators
simultaneously out as on other famous days in SOTA’s history,

I think around 9 or 10 activators took part in the end, possibly more
as I wasn’t monitoring SSB

I was really hoping to hit some of you guys on the summits north of me… but 2E0BYA/P on WB-004 was as far as I got with 4W of 2m FM.

I’ll need at least 2m SSB next time!.. see my other post about it…

Thanks all… it was fun nevertheless.

73 Marc G0AZS

In reply to G1INK:

In reply to 2E0HJD:

Just off up SP-004 to practice.

Steve,

Silly question - where were you in relation to the trig point?
It’s for my WAB vhf/uhf claim - to the west you’re in Macclesfield UA, to the east and north its High Peak (or something Peak :eek: ). The boundary appears to go through the trig point.

To all those I worked - thanks for the summits!

Graham G4FUJ

In reply to G4FUJ:

Hi Graham, as I understand it, the border is the drystone wall, making the trig in Macc / Cheshire. I operated on the West side therefore I was in SJ97 Cheshire, Macclesfield U.A.
Steve.

In reply to G1INK:
Guess I need a magnifier for my map (or my eyes??)! ;o)

Thanks for that - another new area ‘in the book’.

73 Graham G4FUJ

In reply to GW0DSP: Is it intended to repeat the Fun Evening on Tues 12th June? If so, I’ll try and get on Moel y Golfa (GW/MW-027) 2M, FM and SSB, whichever order is agreed.

Perhaps get some more S2S points towards a ME.

Regards, Dave, M0DFA

In reply to M0DFA:

Hi Dave, the fun evenings will be every Tuesday as long as the majority agree on Tuesdays.

It has to be at short notice though, due to the unpredictable UK wx, so keep an eye on the Reflector.
I, or anyone else for that matter will post a “Let’s Do It” thread on the Reflector, either Monday night or Tuesday morning, then it is up to each individual to post a normal alert of activation.

Best stick to 18:00utc–18:30utc 2-fm then 18:30utc–19:00utc 2-ssb, after that anything goes re band/mode, that’s seems the only fair way across the board plus we all know where and when to look for each other, activators and chasers alike.
I look forward to a s2s with you Dave.

73 Mike GW0DSP

41 posts were split to a new topic: Sota Fun Activity Evenings

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Sota Fun Activity Evenings

25 posts were merged into an existing topic: Sota Fun Activity Evenings