SOTA Fun Evening - 2m FM & SSB (Part 1)

I was chatting to Barry on the dog’n’bone at the time and he played me OY6BEC on 70cms at 59+ whilst he was beaming 60degs off target! Outrageous!

How many G’s think the same? I wonder if there will be any activity in the UKAC tonight anyway or are they’re all gonna watch the match?:thinking:

Ahoi
Pom

What match? Hope to be out

1 Like

It doesn’t look too bad for you hopefully lucky devils: According to DXmaps, GM4ZJI just’ve had three 144 MHz SSB QSOs to the continent.

Will be out on DM/NW-135 and using DP9X.

Ahoi
Pom

Not that many. I get the impression that most radio amateurs here are not interested in football, so you should be OK for some potential G activity.

I hear that DL activity will not be affected by the World Cup at all…

2 Likes

I shall be going to a friends to watch the match (as I don’t have a TV) and hope to stop off on the way home and work a few stations. Will not be a SOTA tonight.
Let’s hope there is No extra time, and definately NO PENALTIES as this would leave little time to operate.

Let me correct that… are not that interested in football.

More so not that interested in England ( I was born in England of mixed Scottish/English ancestry and now live in Scotland). I’m not that interested in Scotland either. Shall we say, I’d like to see both teams do well. I vaguely remember my aunt and uncle coming over to watch the 1966 final in our house. Well I remember everyone watching football during one summer day and they were all very happy, I was 4 I think.

But having seen England in the last 12 World Cups (apart from when they didn’t qualify!) I have learnt the only thing you can rely on the English team to do is to disappoint you. 48 years of previous performances teaches you that. This time they stand more of a chance than most times as many of the better teams have already “done an England” and self destructed.

For me however, they have already won whether they get no further or get their hands of the trophy. The highlight of those last 48 years was watching the German national team loose 2 : 0 to South Korea and go out before the knockout stages. That is solid gold that will never tarnish. I have to smile now just thinking about it. Actually smile is an understatement. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

And Argentina are out early-ish, which is always pleasing.

I’ll be happy for England to do well but if they don’t then that’s normal and is only to be expected. In which case I can happily support France to go all the way.

Bitter and twisted… moi? Mais oui!

You’re right, England’s the most overrated team in the world.

The highlight of those last 48 years was watching the German national team loose 2 : 0 to South Korea and go out before the knockout stages.

What exactly did England do to achieve this? So, nothing more than winning the world championship in their own country by a goal that even wasn’t one. :joy:

Ahoi
Pom

Absolutely nothing. I don’t think you understand. When your national team (really England than Scotland) has been so dismal, lack lustre and generally rubbish on the world scene for 52 years, you no longer really support them. Instead you look at field and decide who you don’t want to win and support their opponents. Of the teams left, I can happily support any of the remaining teams for the win. France, England, Columbia, Croatia, Belgium, Brazil, Sweden or Switzerland. They’d all be good. And Argentina, Germany and Italy wont be champions. It’s sweet already and may get sweeter. Probably wont. But hey, we’re used to that here.

I don’t think you understand.

No I don’t and I don’t want to, as I think it’s not sportsman like. When Sweden kicked Italy out I was glad that Sweden plays the championship. I wasn’t happy that Italy’s been kicked out. And I wont go out singing and cheering the day that England is out.

Sporting rivalry is good. The fact that we English are so delighted Germany and Argentina are out, is in fact the biggest compliment you can pay to our two most fearsome international footballing rivals in my lifetime.

Personally I’m not sure that an international forum such as this is the appropriate place for any nationalistic jingoism (especially when translations can lead to subtle nuances of intent to be misunderstood). Maybe that’s because I don’t follow football (overpaid prima donnas IMHO).
Rugby now - there’s a sport😉. I’ve lived in all the countries of the “United” Kingdom and place more value on the quality of the game I’m watching than who wins.
Good luck to England, may the best team win!

I’m not really into watching sport (sport is for DOING, not watching, in my book) but as I see it there is a progression in the activity levels in the common sports. Football shares with hockey the distinction of being the most active. Rugby is a bit more stop and start, American football is more stop than start (probably to give a slow audience time to digest the explosive bursts of action!) and then you come to cricket. Unless you have an interest in strategy cricket is like watching paint drying, but I have so I rather like it - but then I used to play chess in the local league! My real sport? Rock climbing. Vertical ballet! Shame I’m too old for it now.:disappointed:

The duct to the Isles wasn’t as good as in June, only 3 G-stations in the log.
On the other hand, even with the antenna pointing west the LA’s were louder than the G’s. :metal:

Ahoi
Pom

1 Like

After missing a few UKACs due to gigs - or forgetting cables - or bobbins weather - everything looks to be coming back together for this evening.

So if anyone else fancies nipping up their local SOTA summit, I’ll be on mine from 7pm BST - 1800-1859z 2m FM then 1900-2129z on 2m SSB (with CW available). Note that in the FM section, stations are not permitted to use above 145.400MHz. So it is worth looking around the frequencies 144.525 - 144.975MHz and 145.200 - 145.400MHz.

Hoping for:

a) enhanced conditions
b) lots of activity
c) DX
d) S2S
e) SOTA chasers

…not necessarily in that order of priority :slight_smile:

Thanks for the tip on the FM frequencies Tom - I had forgotten the use of the part of the band below 145MHz. I will be doing a lightweight activation on Whatborough Hill G/HCE-024 during the FMAC so will keep an ear open for you for the H2S. :slight_smile:

Yeah that would be great Gerald. A pity I won’t be able to log my chase of your Hump due to being frozen out of the HEMA scheme and having all my previous activator and chaser logs deleted…

1 Like

Pleased we made the H2S… or should that be S2H? I bet that being called by Paul gave you a bit of a shock. His presence made my return to activating rather special. We have plans to do CE-004 and CE-005 sometime, so we look forward to a real S2S. :slight_smile:

Yep, just like the good old days. Well done on your return to portable radio Gerald, but yes, you will need to progress onto a proper SOTA to make the S2S with me, because for me, a S2H, is merely a S2. :frowning:

Anyway, the fruits of my activating tonight were thus:

2m CW: 0
2m SSB: 83
2m FM: 33
2m C4FM: 4

Total: 120 QSOs (all 2m)

S2S:
Robin GM7PKT/P on GM/SS-205
Viki MW6BWA/P on GW/MW-025
Matt 2E0MDJ/P on G/CE-001

QSO of the night probably was the last one, after local midnight BST. I stayed on summit after the contests to play with C4FM Fusion / WIRES-X / SOTA-LINK etc. But just before switching off and packing down, I worked M0BTZ/P - in Hampshire - on 2m FM!

Decent selection of locator squares worked, 23 in all - IN79, IO62, 64, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, JO00, 01, 02, 03.

Tom

That all sounds like a fun time and 83 SSB contacts seems really impressive to me.

I’m back in the UK next week and am interested in participating in this event in the future. I think you wrote its the first Tuesday of the month so the next one is Tuesday September 4th. Correct?

Is their a URL which leads to an outline of the event; for example you shared that FM operation is above (or below, cant remember) a certain frequency.

Out of curiosity what power are you running 2m SSB?

Paul