Other SOTA sites: SOTAwatch | SOTA Home | Database | Video | Photos | Shop | Mapping | FAQs | Facebook | Contact SOTA

SOTA from Sweden

I went to my summer cottage to close up for the season and while I was in the area I took the car to one of my closest summits, Hökberget, SM/ DA-031.The name would translate to Hawk Mountain but I didn’t see any this trip.
The car was parked on a dirt road and I took my small back pack and started to walk towards the view point. After some 30 minutes walk I reached a point where I could see Orsa Lake in the distance. On a small sign I red Okbjär 390m above sea level. The spot was covered with tall trees and no low branches to throw up my antenna line in but I managed at last to find one where I could hoist up my wire.
At 11.40 I turned on the radio and logged 4 QSO in a minute on 40 meter. Good activity and after that it continued in the same way. After 2,5 hours I gave up and my fingers were numb. The temperature was one or two degrees above 0C and no wind.
Looking in my log I got 79 QSO in total and some DX from W and VE.!

View towards Orsa lake

Okbjär dialect in Dalarna for Hökberg

Hello Jaan,

Well done. It would be great to hear activators from Sweden more often.
Enjoy SOTA.

Peter

Hi jaan,
well done on the activation and especially all the contacts!

I presume "Okbjär " is Summit in Swedish ?

73 Ed.

Hi Peter
Okbjär is dialect in Dalarna county for Hökberg.
73’s Jaan

Here in Sweden we have to travel north and towards the boarder to Norway to find qualifying SOTA. I will do my best to hand out summits here in Dalarna when I’m here. I plan to take my tent this winter and try winter activity.

73’s Jaan

Hello Jaan
Many thanks for activating DA-031 and giving me my second SM contact.
The first was also with you, on DA-049 on 13 July this year.

And i hope to we have many more in the future.

1. Neil

It was a pleasure to work you Neil. If I would have been retired now I would go for all the tops in Dalarna now but I have to work some more years before that happens :wink: Talk to you soon again.
73 Jaan

Jaan, speaking of winter activations: this coming winter my XYL and I will visit Abisko, which we have chosen because it reportedly is a very good place to see the Northern Lights. We have very few opportunities here in the US state of Georgia!:wink: Unfortunately I am not planning to bring my SOTA system because I think the days will be too short and the weather conditions too extreme. Also, when I look at SOTAmaps for the Norrbotten region, the summits near Abisko appear to be too far and too high to reach in winter except with a serious winter mountaineering climb. Only one summit, Loktacohkka, has ever been activated and that was done in August. So I guess I will admire your mountains from afar!

Hi Scott, sounds like a good idea, both things, The trip all the way up to the northern part but also leaving your equipment at home. When I was much younger than today I hiked from Abisko to Kebnekaise (Highest point in SM). During winter You most likely need skies or snow shoes to reach the top.
As you probably noticed almost all SOTA tops are not activated due to the fact they are so remote. I hope to get out there during summer to activate perhaps one or two firsts.
Take care and enjoy your stay and really hope you will see the Aurora Boreralis and the scenery it creates.
73’s Jaan

Nice to see that there are other SM op’s going for sota. Only activated 2 so far, where the first (SM-VB001, 2 days hike) didn’t qualify due to short activation (hard wind), but it was fun anyway.
Second was this summer at the SM3 high coast with reasonable “get to time” whilst on vacation.
Hoping to do perhaps a week long mountain expedition next fall :slight_smile: