SOTA for NOVICE Licenced

My 2p’s worth and perhaps stating the obvious.

You can have 1000’s of watts at your disposal but you also need two things, propagation and a good antenna system. 10 watts go can go a long way. The only advantage I think a 100w has over 10w is that you are more likely to be heard in a pile up. I have lost count of how many QRO stations that can be heard but they cannot hear.

My preference is to spend time and money on antenna - it is the best investment I think.

Mike G6TUH

In reply to G6TUH:

I agree Mike, I normally run 10W on the IC-706 and 5W on the IC-2720 since I share the rigs with an M6. I don’t notice much disadvantage doing so, since most of the stations I work are SOTA &/or WOTA running QRP I don’t see the point of running a lot more power than them.

Although, if I get a marginal contact it is nice to be able to give an extra 10dB to make things easier.

Colin
M0XSD.

In reply to G8ADD:

The trick is to never mention that you are QRP! Say those
magic letters and an S9 signal report often gets revised down to S7…

Maybe because they know that QRP ops prefer a real signal report rather than a “59” rubber stamp.

Colin G8TMV

In reply to G6TUH:

My preference is to spend time and money on antenna - it is the best
investment I think.

Totally agree about antennas Mike. Especially when working /p, at the mercy of batteries.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Totally agree about antennas Mike. Especially when working /p, at the
mercy of batteries.

Hi Mike, yes. I worked Peter (ON4UP/P ~ ON/ON-026) yesterday on 1.845 with my Yaesu 897D (with a dodgy internal battery) and was overjoyed to get a 44 report. I should replace the batteries I think. It is setup for emergency comms for the local authority but I don’t think they will pay for a new set!!

Light snow falling again in East Sussex 8-(

Mike G6TUH

In reply to G6TUH:
I totaly agree with all you mentioned. I’m heard in contests, but yes … I have to listen well to find the openings to scream ! And I almost never mention QRP, only in a real QSO’s, In contests like IOTA-Contests I will use the /QRP, because otherwise I have to compete against those KWatts.
My antenna at home is a ZS6BKW home made and it works fine for me for all other specs just take a look at my website

73 PD2PC Patrick

In reply to PD2PC:

Hello Patrick,

I don’t know if you are interested in working DX stations. I do not use the dx-cluster to look for stations because by the time they are spotted it is often too late for low power stations. My best contacts have been when I have been listening and come across them as they start. In these circumstances 10-100w travels well. I am interested in IOTA as well and quite often before the IOTA contest starts stations will be on to see what the propagation is like and to test their equipment so if you get in then you avoid the later pile up 8-)I will check out your web site, glad that your antenna does the job!

Mike G6TUH

In reply to G6TUH:
Yes right, I’m with you, I do some DX all with my only rig the FT-817 (somewhat modified as you can see on my website pd2pc dot nl) just to improve audio and give it a bit of extra punch, Most of the time I get real good reports on my audio.
IOTA contest is very nice for QRP, mostly good weather, so I set up outside and enjoy both weather and QSO’s. I also rarely use the DX cluster, just as you mentioned … mostly of air or a giant pile-up. Sometimes I try to get through in these pile-ups and mostly succeed, just by listening well so you know where to jump in. About IOTA … yes most fun is just before the contest starts, help them testing their signal … strangely they rarely ask what gear I’m using … though I think thats very important to know, if you want to understand the report you got. For conditions, I look at the WSPR site. I’m now trying to get my rig up also for digital use like PSK and maybe WSPR and some CW (sorry CW guys I’m still learning by hand …)

Mike I hope to meet you sometime on the band
73 PD2PC Patrick

In reply to M1EYP:

For instance Jimmy was M3EYP for nearly 7 years, rejecting all
intermediate courses because he was prioritising his school studies.
I know some saw that as an ‘excuse’, but it was genuine! With A
Levels out of the way, he did his Intermediate, and almost immediately
enrolled on the Full, which he got 7 months later.

Any imposition of time limits for the licensing structure would have
rendered such progress impossible.

I studied for, and passed, both the written “Full” RAE and the 12 wpm Morse test at the age of 15, during my ‘O’ Level year at school. I do not recall that my school studies or my examination performance were hindered in any way.

Walt (G3NYY)

Hi Walt,

You got your qualifications your way. I got my qualifications my way. We have both done well.

Jimmy M0HGY

In reply to G3NYY:

I studied for, and passed, both the written “Full” RAE and the 12 wpm
Morse test at the age of 15, during my ‘O’ Level year at school.

I studied for, and failed, the written RAE while I was at school (before the days of multiple-choice exams). I don’t remember what year it was, but I do remember one question being on something we’d somehow missed completely, so a ‘fail’ was definitely the correct result! Took me about a third of a century to get round to trying again…

73, Rick M0LEP

In reply to M1EYP:

A clear indication that the syllabi were considerably less demanding
in the 1930s…

Dreadful, why write such a thing?

Mike G6TUH

Meant to be a funny, but badly constructed with too many unintended possible interpretations - so removed!

In reply to M1EYP:

Meant to be a funny, but badly constructed with too many unintended
possible interpretations - so removed!

Oh well…

Mike G6TUH

In reply to M1EYP:

Is syllabi the plural of syllabub? :wink:

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD (& M1EYP):

Hello Brian, I think syllabub is something you eat :wink:

I did not know Tom that you were suffering from a brain injury. Sorry to hear this. I hope they fix it.

Mike G6TUH

Cheers Mike,

I’m not using that as an excuse for my joke-that-read-back-to-me-worse-than-intended though!

As I say, I am assured that it is a “very straightforward procedure”, but I’ll sure be glad when it’s sorted!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

I’m not using that as an excuse for my
joke-that-read-back-to-me-worse-than-intended though!

As I say, I am assured that it is a “very straightforward procedure”,
but I’ll sure be glad when it’s sorted!

OK Tom - but it must be a worry for you and your family because it is the CPU of you. I am sure it will get sorted.

This is me I think :sunglasses: from Cohen:

===========================
Well, my friends are gone and my hair is grey
I ache in the places where I used to play
And I’m crazy for love but I’m not comin’ on
I’m just payin’ my rent every day in the Tower of Song

I said to Hank Williams: “How lonely does it get?”
Hank Williams hasn’t answered yet
But I hear him coughing all night long
Oh, a hundred floors above me in the Tower of Song

Take care and don’t let the bed bugs bite! (1950’s expression)

Mike G6TUH

In reply to M0HGY:

Hi Walt,

You got your qualifications your way. I got my qualifications my way.
We have both done well.

Jimmy M0HGY

Two words " here here "

M3 is an excellent idea, I like Jimmy passed the M3 and stuck with it for 7 years, whilst studying for A levels and a BSC degree! As soon as I had the time I upgraded!

If you want to upgrade then do so, if you don`t then who really cares!

Each to their own I say!! Without the M3, I dont think I would be on this website now!!

I would follow the Aussie system and limit foundation licenced hams to certain bands in the vain attempt to try and increase activity on 2m ssb!!! :slight_smile:

My 2 pence